Penis Size: an evolutionary mishap?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Expando1, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Expando1

Expando1 New Member

I read an interesting theory yesterday regarding penis size amonst primates. As it seems, humans are unusual in the primate world in that we have a penis size out of proportion to our body size. There seems to be a close relationship in terms of promiscuity and penis size. The female gorilla and orangutan tend to be faithful and mate with only one male while the chimpanzee and human females then to mate with multiple males. Interestingly, the mighty 200kg gorilla and orangutan only have a 2 inch penis while that of their smaller, but more promiscuious cousin, chimps is twice that size; the human penis is larger than that of any other primate, both in proportion to body size and in absolute terms. Amongst the more monogamous members of the primate world the smaller penis seems sufficient to assure fertility because competition with other male's sperm is rare. Among more promiscuious primates, humans included, sperm competition from multiple males greatly diminishes the success of passing on one's genes; so any evolution that would favor delivering sperm closer to the uterus or in greater volume would be advantageous.

2. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Again, making comparisons between human behavior and that of other animals can lead to erroneous conclusions. I don't have a Ph. D. in any of those fields, but my simple guess is this: each species has its own evolutionary reasons for its anatomical and social and sexual characteristics. My simple guess regarding human sexual behavior is, they have sex because it is pleasurable. Most other animals besides humans mate when they are biologically/physiologically triggered to do so.

3. Shelby

Gold Member

I grant DC's assertion that reductionism is dangerous.

That being said, Epando1, I read a similar study correlating anatomy and relative promiscuity among primates. While penis size was to some degree determinent, testicle size was even more so.

4. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Oh yes, "The Red Queen" is a good book on the topic. Anyway, we must also remember, we DID NOT decend from gorillas etc, we all derived from something that was around before them. Exceptions to rules and trends do happen. After all, check out our brains!

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Well, this type of reasoning has been used to "prove" a lot of different aspects of human behavior. All I'm saying is, regardless of how much we may have in common (apperance, behaviors, social structure, etc) trying to corroborate any assertions by anthropomorphizing any other animals is not just useless, it can also be dangerous. Anything regarding human behavior can only be researched using humans as subjects. Any substantive research regarding human anatomy can only be carried out using humans as research subjects.

Studying ape sociology and applying it to humans makes as much sense as studying chemistry to learn French.

Draft saved Draft deleted