People abandoning pets due to bad economy

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

2. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    We get 50 pound bags, but then again I have dogs. And I don't shop in dollar stores much, but I've never seen dog food in a dog store.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

:confused:

4. Principessa

Gold Member

He meant to say dollar store. He's right, I've never seen dog or cat food in my local dollar stores.

This is a huge problem in the Atlanta metro area, as the housing bubble burst about 2 years ago and hit many families here quite hard. Many of the shelters here are NOT no kill and hundreds of loving family pets are put down each day. It's very sad. :frown1:

It's not a question for most people of not loving your pet. It's a question of feed and care for yourself and your biological children or feed and care for your dog or cat. When you are about to lose your home feeding Iams or Eukanuba to your fur baby falls pretty low on the list of priorities. :cool:

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Dogs will eat anything make rice with chicken stock for them. Find creative ways to feed our dog (for cheap) or give the Ramen noodles.

Most Dollar Stores don't have pet food, but if you find a good chain store like Dollar Tree they do carry pet food.

6. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

It's not cheap to feed my huge Weimeraner, but she doesnt get fed the cheapest food. Even if things are tight my 22 animals eat high quality food. My cat is old and she has some skin allergies and i want to her to stay as healthy as can be for 12 years old. Our Weimy was a rescue and has some seasonal allergies that show up in her skin, plus she was starved at one point in her life so i try to give her good food. I will mix in sunflower seeds, oatmeal or powdered milk into her dry food for extra nutrition.

Hell my 20 crabs don't eat much but they enjoy dried fruit and other left overs from the kitchen in addition to their crab food. There is no excuse for not feeding your animals. Even the cheapest dogfood or catfood isnt that much for what you are getting. Hell litter cost more than the bag of food and doesnt last as long.

My neighbor lives for her dogs which are her companions since she lives alone, she only has one little Papillion now but she's always told me whatever she is eating her dogs have enjoyed the same food because she makes some for them too.

If we are eating- our animals should be eating too!

7. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

20 crabs = 1 pet (or lunch) :biggrin1:

8. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

The crabs are higher maintainence than any pet i've owned. It's like having a dozen birds. They really don't eat much compared to how much water and special salt water they consume. They honestly cost a lot to outfit like fish, but as far as feeding fish it's easy compared to the tank and supplies. But once you have 15 you may as well have 20 or 30 i say!

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Do they all have names and can you tell them apart?

10. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

I think they should donate their pets to the hungry.

11. Mr. Bungle

Gold Member

Albums:
    ROTFLMAO... :laughing: I know, it was a typo, but I just can't stop saying DOG STORE...

12. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Yes they all have names and i can tell them apart, well except for a couple little ones who changed shells while i was sleeping so i lost who was who on those little guys. Most of mine are medium or jumbos and they are very distinct in personality. Mine are like the ones in these pics hermit crab safe handling. Their shells are also different.

13. Northland

Gold Member

Dogs may eat just about anything; but, this does not make it a healthy situation and isn't the health of the animal important? If you love the critter you want it to eat healthy the same as a human being.

My now dead cat had F.U.S. and could not eat just any food found on the shelf. He needed a special diet and still he had occasional blockage. Fortunately he was fond of tomato and that eased his difficulty quite a bit and kept him in check. The point is, that, yes, I could have dashed over to Rite-Aid and bought 40 cans of Feline Felony for a mere five bucks, but my cat would have died and it would have been a painful time for him. I could have bought Flotsam Bits Dry Cat Grit for him, but that would have been quite similar to murder. As it was, he could not tolerate any dry food-which created dental problems for the poor boy, and slowly his teeth fell out, which meant mashing down his food which he then gumbed. Lived longer than his siblings (my brother and his wife had those 3) though, so I must have done something right. You can't scrimp and save on feeding your pet. If you can no longer afford to care for the creature, then ask around, and find a financially solvent friend or relative to take in the pet, give the little one a chance at a full happy, healthy life.

14. Principessa

Gold Member

I'm sorry but y'all are missing the point because you have the luxury of being able to afford to keep a roof over your head and feed yourself and your family. Yes, that is fast becoming a luxury in America today.

It's easy for you to be pious Mademoiselle Rouge, you run a successful business and your husband is also gainfully employed.

Imagine this: Your husband gets a pink slip on Friday with a severance package equal to 3 months pay. Your adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) adjusts. Your 4% interest rate is now 8%, effective June 1st. Your business starts to slip off because of the economy and you lose 30% of your clientele. Do I need to mention the cost of gasoline?

This country is in crisis! This, is what is happening. This is the reality that leads to the tragic situation the OP posted about.

I agree with Northland finding a friend or relative who can take in fluffy or whomever is a great idea. The bottomline is that being in financial ruin is embarassing and humiliating. How many of you would be comfortable making that call? "Hi uncle Joe. I lost my job 6 months ago, I'm 4 months behind on my mortgage, and the bank will be foreclosing on Monday. I'm about to default on my student loans and I was hoping you would take in my blind, incontinent, 9 year old cocker spaniel. The good news is I found a part-time job stocking shelves at the local mini-mart it doesn't have benefits and I'm renting a room in a boarding house, but they don't take pets." Yeah, good luck with that. :cool:

I take umbrage to the people who leave their pets on the side of the highway, at a gas station, or in the woods. Some when they are evicted, leave their pets in the house. Quite often the place they flee to doesn't accept pets . . . even hermit crabs. These are the people who deserve your contempt. The ones who abandon their pets, NOT the ones who take their pers to shelters. My point is that, I doubt very seriously that taking their cat or dog to a shelter was an easy decision. Most of these people deserve your compassion not your judgemental condemnation. :cool:

15. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Does this thread have to do with pets or politics? Most of the working poor in this country arent helpless, they have acryllic nails, cell phones and car payments. When my husband and i got married we lived in his $8.00 an hour salary and had one car and he rode his bike to work. We didn't have cable, washing machine or even a dishwasher in our apartment. Our budget for the week for groceries was $40. He still works for the same company, he works in an industry that doesnt do mass layoffs in economic crisis. So i know what its like to have to budget. We all do i'm sure.

I sold my very nice car last year when i knew i was going to have to cut back on work due to medical problems. Some things can't be foreseen but some risks also arent worth taking. There are a lot of people who don't think ahead about the field of work that they go into and have student loans to pay off for that particular degree they desperately wanted to have.

I've had clients let me go because they could no longer afford my services because they made about or less than we do and live in a house 3 times the size.

If our ancestors could survive the hard economic times with livestock and 10 kids, there is no reason why we can't either. It's all a matter of being wise and having priorities. Maybe i was raised differently. We refinanced our home to lower the payment about 5 years after moving in when the interest rates were high, we also started a 401K plan before we were 21 to plan for the future.

Hundreds of years ago people didn't feel sorry for everyone else because they lived haphazardly. I paid for my daughter baby formula while other girls qualified for WIC as single mothers and while i put my one can of expensive formula in my basket, they put 8 cans for free that my tax money paid for. I also bought generic cereals, cheese and milk that their WIC voucher would pay for the name brand.

I do not take for granted what i have, my parents could have a lot more but they choose to have something to live on in the future. Savings is not something we are good at, but stretching our dollar and planning ahead and making a way without either of us having college degrees is not luck, it's being cautious and not being risktakers.

No one shouldnt have enough to eat with all the gov't subsidies available. If you dump your dog at the gas station you are asking for it to get hurt, tortured, ran over and full of diseases and heartworm. I've had to pay $1,500 for my dog to have her heartworm removed because someone didn't care for her and let her starve. Most cats on the street have feline lukemia from other cats. Look at the life an animal has on the streets and they would be better put down than to die of these painful diseases or be ran over.

People should be given a prison sentence for purposely leaving their animals to starve...i don't see honest homeowners doing this. Usually they are renters who skip on rent and leave their apartment in shambles so the landlord can call me to clean it up.

I do a very physical laborious job because i dont have a degree to make the same living doing something less physical. I have been fortunate but much of it is due to my own decisions. I see the difference in my parents and the rest of the family who make entirely different decisions on the same adversities. We all get flat tires, or medical bills. Hell i've had the collectors after me for them recently, but hard times does not equate starving your animals. We don't live in a 3rd world country.

16. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    My local Dollar General (AWESOME store) has an entire pet section with lousy food and hard ass bones... good for tough ass dogs!!!!

I highly agree... that is a great idea! All of those roughneck people who leave their puppies in construction sites are real pieces of shit. Down here in the South, they just go for a drive, then leave the animal there and drive off. Human scum.

#16 tripod, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  17. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

when I had dogs, they always came first

even quit my job so that I could stay home with my one dog, after a roommate left with his dogs, so that my dog would not be alone

girlfriends would get jealous, because I would cut dates short on those evenings my roomie wouldn't be home, so that the dogs were not alone ...

18. B_JasonDawgxxx

B_JasonDawgxxx New Member

I could never ever do that to my baby Apollo.I donate to my local shelters.It breaks my heart to see pets hurt etc.Here is a Picture of Apollo.

Attached Files:

19. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    A dog's best friend! Your devotion to dogs is too sweet and your dedication to their well being is admirable.

He is one handsome boy. You guys would look too cute together. :smile:

20. lwd

lwd New Member

What an inspirational story on the financial progress you have made over the years. Kudos to you!

How is the financial situation for you these days?

Draft saved Draft deleted