People abandoning pets due to bad economy

D

deleted15807

I used to be a foster home for the local shelter. And people abandon their pets every summer when it's vacation time. Don't want to bother getting a pet sitter or boarding fees. Sad sad sad.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm American but live in Sydney now. I just saw a new report from the US about people sacrificing food so they have enough money to buy gas to get to work and people who had to quit work because it was costing too much to drive to their job and so they were standing in lines to get free food. And now I see this.

Why isn't American going apeshit about all of this? It's insane. I don't get any of this. Bush continues to fund this stupid war, spending trillions while people can't eat. Oil companies gladly report record profits while people sacrifice food and jobs to survive. To me this all the legacy of Bush and his horrific administration.

It stories like this that help me support Obama because I don't believe he would ever be so negligent to the American people. The fact that Bush hasn't faced impeachment for a myriad of issues boggles my mind.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
The gas is costing all of us, other than being careful about not making unecessary trips and saving in other ways....people pay more for a gallon of milk.

I work in other towns, my husband has a 70 mile round trip commute 5 to 6 days a week...it hasnt changed our style of living. Does it mean we don't drive to the city just for a bite to eat? Yes. Does it mean we don't go just for the movies. Yes. Does it mean we consolodate trips to kill 2 birds with one stone? Absolutely. We've had gas crisis in this country many times, it didnt make us poor.

If you think the world is going to change with a new president, you're nuts. All of them promise the world and deliver nothing close to what they said. This thread was just another political thread, not really about animals. I live in a state that has a lowest pay for almost all jobs, i dont see what everyone else is seeing. Sure there are poor people everywhere but my post on the previous page covers most of the country in being wise about their financial decisions and planning.

I hate the gas prices just as much as everyone else, but if its changing your total socio-economic status there is something WRONG with you.

Poor is relative. I've cleaned houses for those who would consider a house 3,000 sq. ft. to be small and a car more than 2 years old not worth driving. It's unreal how people live so far above their means.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I feel no remorse for people who cannot afford to have pet. I currently own 6 and pay for every aspect of 5 of them. The cat is my parents responsibility. Now I've had these animals for about many years. Rabbit ~ 6 years, Guinea pigs for 5, 3, 2 years, bird for a year and a half. They cost me a fortune.. and I've had to put up with my parents want to get rid of them. But those animals are closer to me that any people are and even when I may go out of town for school, they will come with me.

People who abandon their pets shouldn't have them in the first place. I'd take out a loan to get vet care if I couldn't afford it out of my pocket..

Anyways I agree with Rouge.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i love my billie and although i understand the mentality of not being able to "afford" a dog, hell some of us can't even afford the necessities, i'd certainly give her away to someone i trusted or a respectable shelter and simply abandoning her would NOT be an option.

i'm not condoning abandoning pets, but in an economy where foreclosures are almost more common than home ownership, it's not a surprise that people can't afford their pets. just 2 years ago i was out of work and was able to get by on my savings. back in the day you could get by during unemployment but nowadays people who are working 2 jobs are doing worse than i was when i had no job.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I feel no remorse for people who cannot afford to have pet. I currently own 6 and pay for every aspect of 5 of them. The cat is my parents responsibility. Now I've had these animals for about many years. Rabbit ~ 6 years, Guinea pigs for 5, 3, 2 years, bird for a year and a half. They cost me a fortune.. and I've had to put up with my parents want to get rid of them. But those animals are closer to me that any people are and even when I may go out of town for school, they will come with me.

People who abandon their pets shouldn't have them in the first place. I'd take out a loan to get vet care if I couldn't afford it out of my pocket..

Anyways I agree with Rouge.

I totally agree with you. You may as well get rid of your kids at the gas station. Mine are like my children. If they don't mean this much to you then don't own them. I mean, my dog doesnt walk around dressed up or anything....but she gets to eat and goes for nice long walks in the neighborhood. Shes happy. The cat is not happy with me right now since i had to give her a bath earlier. But all my animals add so much to my life, they are worth more than cable TV or internet.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
But all my animals add so much to my life, they are worth more than cable TV or internet.

i couldn't agree more. if it came down to it (i currently have both) i'd choose billie over cable or internet any day, she's far more entertaining sometimes. when it's time to take her vitamin, as soon as i get to the cabinet where she knows they are she runs behind the bed and lays down, they smell awful and i assume they taste bad cuz she never turns down food or treats. i have so much more fun with her and couldn't put a price on what she contributes to my life.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This reminds me that the other day i was driving in Tulsa and i saw a pup on a leash roaming around the busy street. So i stopped and tried to chase it down. It ran under an overpass on the highway and i was trying to walk up the incline to get it to see if it had a tag i could call the number on. This dog was very defensive and barking like mad. After about 10 minutes this deshevled lady came up angrily and said "thats my dog!" and obviously this dog was very comfortable with her and let her get close and get his leash.

It all seemed a little strange because this lady was definitely not the type you'd normally see and i had no idea how she lost her dog in the industrial district of town and i couldnt figure out where she came from out of nowhere. So i got in my car to drive away and i looked under the bridge and realized she was a homeless lady and that was her companion. Her dog didnt look starved by any means, he looked in a lot better than she did. She obviously was very upset at the thought of someone taking her dog. He was running up to where she kept her belongings when i was chasing him and was protecting their territory.

The moral of the story is, if this poor homeless lady could share her meager meals with a pup- there is no excuse for starvation. Feeding them food from public dumpsters is better than watching them die.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^amen. i liken starving a pet to starving a person, there's literally no excuse for it. if you can't afford it, hand him/her to someone or an organization that can. though if you care enough, i'm sure a sacrifice or two will make it easier to take care of your pet. there are so many options that starving a pet is entirely without excuse.

Last edited:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It never ceases to amaze me how people can be so callous with their pets. Pets aren't toys, they aren't accessories.

They are lives that we agreed to take responsibility for.

When my cat needed surgery it was a no brainer to put my saved vacation money toward it. A few or the people I work with thought I was crazy and suggested I have her put down instead. More cost effective and ends her suffering. The surgery ended her suffering just fine and this way I still have the joy of her affection. I couldn't enjoy a trip taken at the expense of her life and I'd be in tears trying to sleep without her purring knowing that my own selfishness was the reason it was gone. Egypt will still be there another year.

If it came down to feeding her, I'd go back to public transportation, drop cable and internet get a smaller place or move in with my mother. Scratch that last. I'd turn tricks first, then as a last resort surrender Asia to my mother while I lived homeless.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
I think part of the problem is that some people don't always think things through. Some folks don't think of what type of costs come from owning a pet outside of food etc.

We have two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, the female weighs about 70 pounds and the male weighed in at 130 pounds about 2 weeks ago. If I can get them to sit still I'll post a pic. I don't want to talk about food costs lol. But the male had to have dental work done on 3 teeth that impacted and get shots etc, the bill was 800 bucks.

You have to look at bringing a pet into your home as having children, how many can you afford, what is the potential cost over the life of the pet. What health issues do certain pets/breeds have. Being a responsible owner isn't just scratching their belly every so often. You have to know you will be able to provide them with proper care over the course of their lives.....just like kids.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have five German Sheperds. Mom, Dad, and their three kids. I can't imagine my life without them. If it came down to it, I would feed them before I fed myself. When I adopted Mom and Dad, I took an oath to look and take care of them. I would do the same if I have human children. My pets (kids) will always come first. I can't imagine people having to give up their pets because of the high cost of food, it must be devastating, but to just abandon them is utterly cruel.

I would gladly adopt another five dogs. I have the space and the means. Plus I work from home.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You have to look at bringing a pet into your home as having children, how many can you afford, what is the potential cost over the life of the pet. What health issues do certain pets/breeds have. Being a responsible owner isn't just scratching their belly every so often. You have to know you will be able to provide them with proper care over the course of their lives.....just like kids.
Absolutely.

Unfortunately some people don't even think of that when they are having kids. It's completely irresponsible.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
It just breaks my heart that this is going on.

It breaks my heart too. But its been happening since the beginning of time. It has a lot more to do with the type of person that would abandon their animal and not the economy. There is a type of person that does this and they arent true animal lovers. Finding a great home for your pet because of a relocation or something is entirely different than those who abandon them or dump them off into remote locations.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree that it's horrible to just abandon pets, and that there are some scumbags who dump them just because they become "inconvenient."

But if you have not lived in one of the areas with such volatile and dangerous employment & housing markets, it's much easier to look down your nose at someone whose house just got foreclosed.

Most of these people are not lazy, and they are not choosing cable TV over the mortgage payment. Most of them are hardworking people who, due to a complex set of circumstances beyond their control, suddenly find themselves homeless.

Living in Houston or Dallas or San Antonio may give you a vague impression of what it's like in Gaithersburg Maryland or Arlington Virginia, but you just can't understand it until you've lived it. People move far enough out in the sticks that they can afford a 1200 sq ft home without paying a million dollars (that's right, those are not uncommon). Then everyone else gets the same idea, and the property taxes quadruple. Even if your mortgage doesn't go up, you can't afford the taxes. You put your house on the market, but by that time, no one is buying. Housing is so incredibly fucked up in some parts of the country, and especially the eastern seaboard. Two years after Tawse and I bought our house, I could stand on my front steps and see 5 houses in foreclosure.

I love animals, but there's a reason I don't have any pets at this time. And while it would be ideal if everyone who found themselves unable to care for a pet would find it a good home, I can also understand how a family worried about their next meal could make that a lower priority.