People I Admire

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thought it would be interesting to see who people admired and why. I have had heros and looked up to many in my life and was wondering if we still have heros in this day in age. Is it dead in our world or alive and thriving?

I admire hard core artists because they are fearless- they can give a rats ass about what others think about them or their work, it is probably the most selfish, lonely, uncompromising work in the world. They are not afraid of seeing the world differently, or the consequences of being "different". I've always admired Mark Rothko.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I hope it's not terribly cliched, but I admire my mom. She is, and always has been, the most hardworking and genuinely good person I know. She raised us kids on her own for a while between the time her and my dad split up and the time when she met my step-dad. Those years were the hardest too. My sisters were rebellious teenagers and my brother and I were rowdy young boys. We also had very little in terms of money and posessions, but she always provided us with everything we absolutely needed. It couldn't have been easy for her during those years, as she often had to sacrifice herself for us, but she made it through. She continues to this day being the rock which my family is based upon and never hesitates to help us when we are in need. For that, I admire her most.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are many folks I have admired over the years and all for different reasons. After 56 and 7 monthes and 8 days (no, I am not obsessive), there are just too many to list.

The people I most admire are those who contribute happy moments to otheres with never a second of hesitation or a thought about what reward they may get for it. They just do it because they want to.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I admire Onslow! for getting all medieval on our asses :wink:

There are many folks I have admired over the years and all for different reasons. After 56 and 7 monthes and 8 days (no, I am not obsessive), there are just too many to list.

The people I most admire are those who contribute happy moments to otheres with never a second of hesitation or a thought about what reward they may get for it. They just do it because they want to.

I'm being flippant - sorry...

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I started this thread because I was talking to my neice who is 14 and she said that Paris Hilton was her hero. That was really sad. I asked why and was told it was because she is so pretty and popular with guys. Have we really sunk that low as a society to put people like Paris Hilton on a pedestal? Do people admire her? Scary times. So I needed something to restore my faith in human beings here.

Wow, only 3 other people have heros here. Who is John Beresford Tipton?

Maybe this thread needs to be reincarnated with a snappy new tabloid like title for people to post here.

Idols and Adoration
What People Do You Worship?
Living Gods & Dead Heros

Maybe it is just too smaltsy a topic. Maybe no one has heros anymore. Maybe we live in an unthinking world of apathy. Maybe these are the dog days of summer.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I think Pecker would like to be John Beresford Tipton

I was going to post here last night and drew a blank - not in terms of people other people would have heard of. I admire people in my life greatly - my parents , my husband. All 4 of my grandparents were amazing people who did amazing things.

Historically I admire Daniel O'Connell (Irish emancipator and inspiror of Ghandi's passive resistance philosophy), Napoleon (he did a lot more than just have wars, not many people realise what a huge innovator he was) and Jean Parisot de la Valette - who lead the defence of Malta in the 1565 siege, he stayed on the battlements throughout the siege, directing the defence, on occasion leading his men in direct combat to close a breach - Hand to hand fighting, in full armour, in the heat of Malta - aged 78

In public life / pop culture it is harder - I guess I admire people like George Clooney for taking a political stance and sticking to it. Ditto Tim Robbins.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I actually wrote a blog about this very topic not long ago. Here are mine:

My parents
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nelson Mandela
Anne Fausto-Sterling (author of Myths of Gender)

In pop culture:
Mae West - for being ahead of her time with regard to telling it like it is about women having sexual desires. Not an easy thing to do in her day.

Also many "unsung heroes" who help the less fortunate every day.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
George Bush!

lol. I just said that to get a rise out of you.

To be real though, my dad.

If we're talking people you might have heard of I'd go with Larry Brown and Archie & Olivia Manning.

Steven Vincent RIP is another one.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it hard to say who my heroes are because they tend to be people in everyday postions not positions of fame, I think being in a position where your every action is open to public comment makes it much easier to act in an heroic fashion. To me heroes are normal people who, with no thought that it might be seen and reflect on them, do something wonderful - the person who donates a kidney to a stranger, the guy who risks his life and runs into a burning building to rescue someone he's never met and who might well be a pile of shit, the lifeguard on the beach, the police, fireman, mountain rescue guys, there are so many people who put their life on the line every day without a second thought.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Professionally, a lot of tribute I have to pay to the great women in aviation, from the more famous ones like Katherine Stinson, Harriet Quimby or Amelia Earhart, to the lesser known ones like Yvonne Sintes, Lynn Rippelmeyer or Bessie Coleman. Compared to them, I think I have had a pretty easy way.

Off the job, my admiration goes to all the self-made men and women. I know it's a rock-hard job to get where you are if you have started from nothing, and considering others have climbed up the ladder even further earned them my respect.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think you need to be famous or well known to be a hero or to be admired. You just gotta connect on that level of what someone's ideal person is and be the incarnation of that aspiration.

Being shown how things work is a lot easier than reinventing the wheel. I think that is why so many successful and well adjusted people have had mentors of one kind or another, could be a parent, teacher figure, or just someone you wanted to be like. You learn better from people you admire and respect. Their words hold more weight and their actions ring true for you.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure

Pecker, I would have much more admiration for JBT if he had given me one of his generous handouts.
JoyBoyToy is giving handouts, and didn't give ME one??? :eek:

My hero would be Iurij Gagarin. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can try to discount him as a drunkard all you want, but a) I don't see YOU stepping up to be the first person to strap a shaky rocket onto your ass and launched into space, and b) YOU try having one of man's most profound experiences, and then have to return to face 1960's Soviet life and its conflicts, without hitting the bottle.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Monty Roberts - for seeing what he didn't like and working to change it.

Leo Buscaglia - for having possibly the most open heart in the world.

Ani diFranco - for her solid talent and her refusal to accept the unacceptable.