People of Faith

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lordpendragon, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I have two well-intentioned questions for people of faith on the site.

First, have you read the scriptures of the world's other great faiths? (if you are not of faith, I would also like to know this)

Secondly, had you been born in another country with a different faith, would you have been as believing in that faith as you now are of your own?

2. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's all relative, man.

String Theory. All the way. lol

3. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

From the wording of this, I take it that you are using the word faith in place of religion. If this is the case,then I am able to tell you that I am not connected to any particular religion; although I was raised Methodist with a smackering of Presbyterian. I have read parts of the texts of non-Christian religions, but mainly only from curiosity.
    On the matter of faith itself, I have a set of beliefs which some call a faith, which involves a high functioning being I call God.

There is no way to answer this question since I was not born in another country.

4. Gisella

Gold Member

I think that are a difference between faith and religions...that are people of faith all over the world that do not belong to a religion.

I have faith but dont attach it to a religion that involves a headquarter, a lider/guru and rituals. My faith is in God and love for my fellow human in dispair, the poor mostly. Than social work is where i like to be and make friends, listen to their stories and acknowlege their struggles and hardships...but if this kind of work involves burocracy and blablabla...i dont like it.

Yes I was born in a syncretist (Native Americans, Afro, Christian, others beliefs) society mix , but the 'official' religion says Catholicism...Than I try and live and see many things but I dont like mysticism and hierarquies walls and secrets rituals, exclusiveness and $$$$ contributions to institutions to them distribute to the needy...I prefer i choose where i want to invest my time and resources and will not give power to an authority do it to me.

I dont like impositions in my life comming from religions but i do think I'm a 'mainstrean moralist' (i learn this expression here...) in issues that for me is common sense, like protect the young, the sick, fragile, poor and etc by good laws that is not only in a paper but works in reality. At the same time I'm for the strenght of families and give acess to good education, health, home and etc affordable to the working classes..but my thinking is mostly focus in the hardiships in the reality of a 3rdworld country.

This is my faith practices: Action in basic peoples needs and social issues that is motivated by love (compassion, frustration,dispair, anger etc) that do not involve deal with burocracy and institutions.

5. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Great questions LPDG

They both get to the core of the argument.

6. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Then again, trying to get a Christian to realize his or her ignorance is more difficult than a camel passing through the eye of a needle.

7. hot-rod

Gold Member

Ignorance indeed!

8. hot-rod

Gold Member

I believe all human beings, because of our very nature, are born with a sense of spirituality and a sense of what is right and what is wrong. I think basic history proves this. All 'religions' are born of power struggles and greed and are there-fore cults in my opinion. Started out as cults and are cults today. How anyone can adopt and practice a religion that doesn't include all races of people tells me that they are phony. When I look up into the heavens at night I don't think of a human being as having anything to do with it's creation, prophets, etc Hogwash!!!! It is God and none of us really knows.

9. hot-rod

Gold Member

Wake up people.... We've all been made fools of...Look at all the idiots who have the power.

10. Gisella

Gold Member

Yes, I do agree.

Plus I do have this believe 'printed' in me that i will transcend when I die...there is not in me a fatality like:' I'm dead and than I'm done'...plus my spirit is not a reclycled one...will not come back as a bird next time...this is the one life I have to live as me.

Yep, I'm a full of hope person here and 'there', still!

Is funny bcause I had like many, been beated up by life and many struggles and some near death situations but I just can not give up...some way or another I become hopeful again...:dunno: :rolleyes:

I thank God and faith inside me and love for people causes that moves me beyond myself, the explanation for my fighting me.

11. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I think that's the point of LPD's two questions.

I don't think lambasting them as a group per se is going to enlighten them to the reality of their erroneous beliefs though (much as I may happen to concur with your sentiments Dilznick).

12. Gisella

Gold Member

Ops I forgot do answer that...

No, but I think the 3 have lots in common..they have the ortodoxs ones, moderates and the ones that do not practice ...but when they are together to vote they vote similar, we saw that here in the election, where the conservatives of their groups stick together in commom issues..and I think were politics are not involved plus propaganda and radicalism they can live together..I think.

There is a practice in many religions that if you are born in a family that practice that you automatic are written in their faith (I protest that!)as another member of this partcular group...well for this motive many countries said they are majority of 'X' religion but they are trully not..they included are just bcause their parents are but some families do that for tradition not real practicing ritualistic faith and life of faith...my own family is an exemple of that....

For this motive I do think the great numbers of 'members' religions say they have is not true really...just baby or kids embraced in their groups as a 'believer' or something like that in a family that is not 'religious'.

13. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Sorry, Lordpendragon, but your questions have been lost to the inevitable bashing by those to whom the queries were not origionally directed. I hope that wasn't your intent.

So, as a man of faith, I will not publicly express my heartfelt feelings. Pearls before swine, and all that.

14. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Which faith Pecker?

I'm curious and not in a bashing sort of way. Is it Christianity or another?

I'm a man of faith as well.

15. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have s certain faith, I'm not sure anyone else has this faith that i know of.

I went to christian church for years, maybe 7 or 8 years, and ive also studied catholisism and judaism.

Through studying these three religions I've arrived at my own set of beliefs and all the thigs that come with them.

If i was born in a different country i may believe in the same thing... if i was born in a country, but with the same personality and mind set i definitly would, but if i wasnt still me then i doubt it.

i say live and let live when it comes to religion(for the most part) though there is one thing that really bothers me... Agnostics

16. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I am a Christian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints since 1971.

17. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I certainly did not wish a bashing.

I have not read them all myself. I have tried a few, but can't maintain interest. I think that it is the alien style as much as anything.

I imagine that if I had grown up in another country which was not as free as my own, I may well have been calling myself a religious believer now.

18. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Thanks for responding.

So you chose that faith rather than being raised in it.

I assume you're not joking here Pecker and if not do you hold to that Church's beliefs about abortion and homosexuality?

19. Gisella

Gold Member

Pecker is the same as Mormon? If so and i'm not so sure I do apologize when I criticize about "mormons" groups that embrace polygamy and have practices that include minors and etc. that regular Mormons do not agree with them too.

And about the Catholics in the US you must understand that I'm talking about my reality in Brasil, have not much ideia how the CC is here. And in Brasil we do have an 'official' church, in the US you do not.

I dont want to offend anyones religion and faith.

20. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Yes, I'm a convert, Stronz. I don't personally support abortion but as for homosexuality, that requires a judgement that I feel I don't have the authority to make, thankfully.

I don't make friendships contingent upon sexuality.

Draft saved Draft deleted