People that dont say "Hello"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by las000005, Mar 13, 2009.

1. las000005

las000005 New Member

I don't get this. Sometimes I will say hello to some one and get a smile but nothing else. Other times I walk down the street and say hello to someone I don't even know and they won't even reply. It is just plain rude and pisses me off sometimes.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think it largely depends on the social mores and the population of the community you live. I live in a large city and tend to acknowledge people I know or at least have a nodding relationship with. I am however always pleasantly surprised when I visit a place where strangers say hello and good morning. If someone said hello to me I certainly would not ignore them...but that's just me.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Maybe you live in Petticoat Junction and the people who you are saying hi to do no speak to strangers.

Where I grew up in the Northeast it was not normal to walk around saying hello to strangers.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Everyone says hello to everyone here. I like it.

Acknowledging our fellow human beings and being acknowledged in return is a good thing.

5. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

Seinfeld has dealt very amusingly with some of these issues of social boundaries. There was the classic episode when in his apartment building the friendliness escalated to the level of kissing. Jerry tried to take a stand, with disasterous results. And then there was the "close talker."

I wouldn't get too disturbed by being snubbed. Some people are in their own world and don't even really see you. Others are just cautious about strangers.

On the New York subways, avoiding eye contact has been raised to an art form.

That said, friendliness seldom gets us in trouble, and it just makes life so much more enjoyable.

6. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Another reason not to say hello to people are those assholes in parking lots that say "hey how are you doing" They just are gonna ask you for money. I ignore them, if they get mad, fuck 'em.

7. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Doesn't sound like a wise move to me.

8. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    First off, HELLO EVERYONE! I will say hello to people if I am out walking on a trail or something and if they reply I might ask how they are doing or if they are enjoying themselves etc. I think it is polite. The people who kinda piss me off are the ones you are walking behind going into a store and they know you are there but will not even hold a door for you. You know the ones who open it and walk off when you are just 2 steps away from it. They piss me off. I will hold the door open for you if you are behind me. If you are a good 15 steps away I will hold he door open for you. I wonder why people are so scared of a simple polite “hello”

9. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I live in an apartment building with dozens of residents. There are some neighbors with whom I am on conversational terms, some with whom I merely exchange perfunctory greetings, and one fucking asshole who will walk right past me and pretend that he doesn't see me, and won't even reply when I say "Hello" to him. The guy shows signs of being mildly autistic or in some way not right in the head -- he likes to gallop down the stairs and stamp noisily on the landings, for instance -- but he seems to be sufficiently functional to live on his own, so he should know how rude his behavior is.

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Same here...and good morning and good evening and 'may it come easy' (if some one is working) and 'welcome'....

I live in a very friendly and respectful place.

Salaam Aleykum!

#10 vince, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  11. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I walk a lot - so I pass by people on the street all the time. I've decided the best way to handle it is thus:

If they make eye contact with me, i smile and say "hello" or "good morning" or "good afternoon" or whatever seems appropriate. If they respond, i'm pleased, if they don't i'm not miffed. I don't say it for the response, really.

If they don't make eye contact with me, I ignore them as it seems that's what they want.

Many people are shy. Some people are deaf (no, really). Some people are thinking about calculus. There are at least 2,022 reasons a person would not return your greeting, and only one of them is that they're rude.

12. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Being polite, I really respect that way of life and adhere to it strictly.

It's amazing how much you get back when you smile and say hello, or offer to help somebody with something.

Of course, there are those who ignore....but perhaps they are just having a really bad day, or are imbalanced in some way?

I'm glad that I automatically say hello to people who catch my eye....that's how I met Princess Diana! I didn't realise it was her until she replied hello with the classic 'shy-Di'....head down, eyes up under heavily batted lids...lol.

So, keep on saying hello people...you never know who you might be saying hello to!

13. Corius

Corius New Member

Things would get pretty noisy if everyone greeted every person. It really isn't practical or expected in all situations, but IMHO it's nice to be surprise or to surprise someone by and unexpected greeting. The danger is minimal and the satisfacton of having reached out to a stranger is enough reward. Some of us are open to the exchange of greetings and a few words of polite and pleasant conversation. So let the sun shine in.

14. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I also tend to be shy, so saying hello to strangers is fine as a reply, but I probably would not initiate it. In the building I am in now there are 20 units and only one married young lady has said hello to me.

15. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Hey, it works with HickBoy :biggrin1::biggrin1:

(sorry hun, but it does, doesn't it :wink:)

16. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not sure if I made my point clear. I ought to have said: how can you fuck somebody who won't even say hello to you?

17. naughty

Gold Member

In my neighborhood it is refered to as No Home Training. It really is there problem. Dont let it be yours.

18. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Most of the folks I bump into when I'm out and about are people on vacation or native Islanders who are naturally very friendly. They are in good form and enjoying the weather. Most want to stop and chat and ask questions about the area where I live. I love it. It's like going back 40 years in time to the village where I grew up and everyone was friendly.:biggrin1:

I feel sorry for people who won't or can't say a simple hello or strike up conversations with strangers.

Today's strangers are tomorrow's best friends :wink:

19. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

It's been done. :biggrin1: Sometimes I don't even get their name. It is hot while in the middle of the act to ask the person their name. :eek::cool:

20. las000005

las000005 New Member

If I lived in an area where I met people walking down the street every few seconds then no I wouldn't say hello to all of them. It would get exhausting and it would be quite weird. Where I live I meet a random person here and there like on a trail and when they don't say hello after i do I feel it is rude.

Draft saved Draft deleted