People Throwing Out Celebs/youtubers Merch

Lé_Asmith

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't get why people think buying a celeb/youtuber's merch and throwing it out when that celeb/youtuber gets cancelled is hurting them. They already have your money, they don't care about what you do with the merch after you buy it. All you're doing is throwing away something you spent possibly hundreds of dollars on and for what?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I don’t know what merch YTers have, but I can see someone tossing it in the same light as tossing band shirts so you are no longer associated with them.
Or ending a bad relationship. It could be clearing space mentally/spiritually (and physically) for the person.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Getting rid of it after finding out about a history of shitty behavior is understandable. And, that's capitalism. People can vote with their wallets, for whatever reason they choose.

What confuses me is when people go out and buy a product *after* realizing they don't support a celebrity/company just so they can destroy it on camera.

Kinda how people intentionally bought Nike products to burn them because of a football player they don't like.. some people just got rid of stuff they already had, but I saw quite a few clips of people going *shopping* for the items with the intention of taking them home and destroying them. Now that just makes me roll my eyes so hard it's almost enough to give me a migraine.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Getting rid of it after finding out about a history of shitty behavior is understandable. And, that's capitalism. People can vote with their wallets, for whatever reason they choose.

What confuses me is when people go out and buy a product *after* realizing they don't support a celebrity/company just so they can destroy it on camera.

Kinda how people intentionally bought Nike products to burn them because of a football player they don't like.. some people just got rid of stuff they already had, but I saw quite a few clips of people going *shopping* for the items with the intention of taking them home and destroying them. Now that just makes me roll my eyes so hard it's almost enough to give me a migraine.
Would the latter just be to get views and more $ via their YT? They get to write it off on taxes, if they are smart.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Would the latter just be to get views and more $ via their YT? They get to write it off on taxes, if they are smart.

A lot of those idiots who burned their sneakers didn't have YouTube channels, they posted it on their Facebook or other platforms that don't pay revenue to the average people posting. So, it was literally the same thing as taking their money and lighting it on fire. That's all they accomplished.

Reactions: Motion-of-the-Ocean

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A lot of those idiots who burned their sneakers didn't have YouTube channels, they posted it on their Facebook or other platforms that don't pay revenue to the average people posting. So, it was literally the same thing as taking their money and lighting it on fire. That's all they accomplished.

Let's not forget the ones who smashed their Keurigs over some other manufactured outrage that I can't remember what it was about. Much like the shoes, those things ain't exactly cheap either (nor are the K cups), which explains why my frugal ass has always made due with $10 and $20 coffee makers.

Always made me laugh my ass off at the stupid futility of such attention seeking "protests" or boycotts as not only does the manufacture not give a shit, but they already have your money and thus get the last laugh.