People...we're Getting Screwed!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mighty Joe, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe New Member

And it's not enjoyable either! With gas prices rising sky-high, Exxon executive gets $400 million retirement. This is absolutely ridiculous and our President and Congress doesn't give a damn.

2. Freddie53

Gold Member

About us? No they don't give a damn. It is all about the oil barons making money, lots of it. They couldn't care less if it causes small businesses to go bankrupt: People to fall behind on their payments; They don't give a shit about us.

Look WHO they do give a shit about!
    Hint: Words in bold

3. gwr1349

gwr1349 New Member

I agree, but what do we do about it. I try to drive less and only when necessary. The gas industry has us over the barrel and were getting fucked.:mad:

4. dong20

Gold Member

Indeed.....but compared to Europe (about $8.10 or $6.40 adjusting for US gallons in the UK) you have comparatively cheap fuel....although I agree they are about the highest they have ever been for you in real terms. More sales=more tax revenue :mad:

I never understood oil executive salaries...I mean it's got to be about the easiest job in the world. Sales pitch goes something like...

"That gauge in your car....when the needle goes into the red...buy some petrol." Easy, peasy! Can I have my $1million salary now please...?:tongue:

Now actual Gas prices here are skyrocketing :eek:

5. geitjeshoeder

geitjeshoeder Active Member

Ever cared to take a good look at Bush his taxreforms? The middle and lower class incomes pay more, whilst high incomes where given tax-cutts. According to Bush this was to boost spending and help the economy. Also his reform on estate tax has made it more easy to inheret a fortune, but not a farm. So that's okay if you're breezah-slut Paris Hilton but not if your some farmboy trying to succeed the family farm, thanks to the agri-corps who don't want competition from small family farms.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Ever notice how anyone who speak about peace gets assasinated? Well, it's not about peace, it's about the internal message that maybe, just MAYBE you ARE valuable enough as a human being not to allow your government/didctatorship/church-gone-awry to continue fucking you up the ass without condoms or lube. Any idea that might foster a sense of self worth in people is dangerous to a dictator whose only real chance for sucess is the volunatary participation of a beat-to-shit society that believes they can do no better.

Non-compliance. It means that to whatever extent you are personally capable, stop complying with the laws to which you object. This is what Gandhi preached and did, it wasn't PASSIVE anything! A small group simply cannot force a large group to do something without our compliance- stop giving it.

The other option is to stop caring, take prozac, watch American Idol and keep chanting to yourself that things will be okay, things will be okay, things will be okay.....

7. Shelby

Gold Member

As much as possible, I bicycle to work 17 miles each way. Funny thing is what with rush hour traffic and all it doesn't take much longer to ride than to drive.

A conservative Republican cycle commuter who likes the occasional gravity. I'm all fucked up.

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

Sadly, you seem to occupy a very small sector of the current Republican party who actually understand what is meant by "conservative".

This is unacceptable. You will have to start finding new ways to piss me off because I miss arguing with you.

9. Shelby

Gold Member

Don't worry. It's inevitable. Just waiting for an opening. :wink:

10. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

A simple economics class would do many of you a WORLD of good.

Basic economics here.

Tax Cut= more money in peoples pocket= higher aggregate demand= larger GDP. Makes sense? Who has the most money? Richer people. What will they do with it? Spend. What happens? Lower price level, increased business transaction, possible increase in gov't spending programs, better standard of living as a whole.

64% of our federal budget currently goes to Social Security, Medicare and other welfare programs.

The rich (income of $100,000 or greater) includes many MIDDLE INCOME families in the Northeast, In other words, quality of living does not equate to a wealthy person. (To live comfortably anywhere near NYC, you need to make this much, and odds are you have quite the mortgage as well). They are required to give up 33% of their income to the federal government.

What a tax cut....

Our gas prices suck, we know that. However, you CANNOT ask the government to put a price cap on gasoline.

Be prepared, actual economic scientific reason, not Bush sucks, do something whining:eek:

When price caps are set below equilibrium (which is what we currently are at, since supply and demand are equal at this point). A shortage WILL occur. Why you ask?

Oil companies have less incentive to sell their gas if they know other companies are doing the same exact thing, and are under the same exact regulations. Result= decreased profits and competition, cost cutting, less pumping of oil. AKA SHORTAGE.

You want to lower gas prices? Only buy at cheaper stations. Don't buy from bigger companies, create a price war. Stop buying huge ass SUV's, be a smart consumer.

11. invisibleman

Gold Member

Yeah, we have seen the enemy and the enemy is petro black and currency green. I voted for: Clinton, Gore and Kerry in the past Presidential elections. I did what I could. Maybe there is something wrong with our voting booths. Maybe we all voted for Bush and didn't really know it. Clinton had America in a surplus. Bush has us in an escalating deficit now. The big question is who is going to be the President to get us out of all this crap. Thanks to my sister who was Democrat. She found the Lord and felt that it was her Christian duty to vote Republican. She didn't want any homosexuals to marry (even though her marriage is shit.) Every time our Bush does something fucked up, her hubbie lets her know about what her vote did. Get used to seeing $3--5 a gallon for gas.

12. Thedrewbert

Thedrewbert Member

Albums:
    Trickle down doesn't work. It's an over simplification of the process. Wealthy people that got a large enough tax cut don't go out and spend it.

They don't go get a new Cadillac because they already have a new Cadillac. They don't automatically spend more.... they just stuff the money away in whatever investment account they have.

tax cuts at the lower end DO cause people to spend more money. People who drive an 8 year old car and had been waiting to replace it now have the extra money to do so.

People on the lower end can now afford the "luxuries" like computers, high end T.V.s, more clothes.... people who are already wealthy already have those things. The wealthy having more money doesn't change their spending habits. It just increases the amount they hord away in the mutual fund.

13. D_Herin_Ghan

Case in point of what I was talking about before. Bush does not control prices. Gripe about his foreign policy all you want, it's absolutely terrible. However, you can't blame him for everything. There is a limit on presidential power, he doesn't make these prices.

Also, surpluses are not always a good thing. We would naturally prefer a balanced budget. But since WWII. I believe if memory serves we have had only one budget surplus, and it was an unexpected one. The Clinton budget surplus was a good thing because it was unexpected, and allowed for the government to spend more money next fiscal year. Long term surpluses mean tax money is not being put to proper use. Defecit spending is typically used to stimulate aggregate demand, it's a tool of discretionary fiscal policy.

14. D_Herin_Ghan

There is much debate on this issue in this country. However, I'm trying to stay economic and not go political here. First things first....trickle down is a complete misnomer. That's not what happens at all. What happens is that all benefit from this tax cut in one way or another (in theory). The tax cut will filter to all in terms of price level. When taxes are cut for corporations and the like, they can afford to charge less for products in order to achieve the same revenue. As a result, prices go down and a new equilibrium is reached in the economy. Companies can also produce MORE goods. Consumers have the ability to purchase more as wel due to the lower prices levied by companies and the like. As a result, GDP increases, so does standard of living.

15. invisibleman

Gold Member

I guess that I was wrong, folks. I am sorry. Forgive me. ( It feels good to blame Bush though. ) Bush doesn't really have significant petroleum interests, after all. Just bad foreign policy.

16. D_Herin_Ghan

Sarcasm as a last resort. He doesn't run Valero or Exxon Mobil. Those are the two companies giving us the shaft in the worst way possible.

Halliburton produces purifiers for crude oil. Get your facts straight.

17. invisibleman

Gold Member

So, I guess it's no one's fault. We can all go home and rest easy there.

18. D_Herin_Ghan

I strongly suggest you read my other posts in this thread.

19. invisibleman

Gold Member

For the record we are NOT arguing on the internet, some LPSG-ers think that people who argue on the internet are retarded. We are having a pleasant conversation.

20. invisibleman

Gold Member

I will.

Draft saved Draft deleted