People who don't expand their musical horizon

PeoplesChamp123

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm having some very frustrating experiences with people who don't give music they're not accustomed to a chance. I know this guy who only listens to rap and R&B, and when I suggested other musical chocies, he just blew me off. Come on. As if America hasn't already jerked the sour milk out of the rap culture cow. 5 years ago, rap music was all I listened to. My whole hard-drive
was stocked with it. Now it's expanded to have artists like:

Frank Zappa (avatar)
King Crimson
Tom Waits
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Captain Beefheart
John Cale
Velvet Underground
Etc.

I don't wanna come off as a typical "old music is better" elitist, but good god. I just think most of The Billboard Chart (Or the Top 40 in Holland) is utter drivel.
When we used to listen to the Wu-Tang-Clan, it meant something. Kids these days think lyrical genius is:

'Verse numba 2 do the damn thang
Cubes on my neck pockets full of ben frank
When I'm in the mall hoes just pause
I pop a few tags give me that on the wall'

I mean, what the fucking fuck?

PeoplesChamp123

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know Mainstream rap is utter shite, I just don't get how most American teens would listen to that putrid diarrhea. Are they so caught up with being "part of it", that they force themselves to listen to mind numbing sentences put on a generic beat? Or is todays youth simply dumbing down? When you give other music a chance (be it a different genre or underground rap), and don't like it; fine. I'm not trying to impose my musical taste onto you. But people who don't give other sounding music a chance, just deserve to be shot. Multiple times.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Haha, I'm going to throw a little wrench in your OP!

I've never been a fan of rap or r&b (frizzle, I don't even know what dnb is), but used to be a huge fan of rock (but not so much rock & roll).

I've since expanded my horizons. My first choice would be what most people lump in as "classical" but is more properly called "common practice period." Baroque (1600 to 1750), classical (1750 to 1820), and romantic (1820 into the early 20th century).

But I also enjoy classic rock, some country, some bluegrass, lots of blues, and other contemporary artists.

PeoplesChamp123, do you listen to any of the pre-1900 stuff? (And by the way, I LOVE King Crimson!)

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Rap has kind of devolved. Back in the day when groups like Public Enemy and Grand Master Flash were the top of the heap, it was about getting your message out. Really having something to say. The rappers of the old school were talking about issues in the hood or goofy people in their hood (You be Illin' is an example of this). Rap has completely changed since Grand Master Flash released The Message. That said, I have to agree with the OP.

I grew up in a house of diverse musical tastes. On any given day you could hear Mahalia Jackson, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, The Eagles, etc. We heard it all and we love all kinds of music.

You might want to tell your friend to do his homework. A lot of the biggest rappers credit a lot of rock bands for their inspiration.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
rap/hip-hop hasn't all gone the way of the empty club beat and mindless gangsta rap. The artform continues to evolve and go in different new directions. T.I., some of the early work of Eminem, etc. represent interesting new directions the genre and its subgenres have taken. I like Saul Williams a lot, are you familiar with him, Osiris? Most wouldn't label him as a rap artist but I think he has evolved out of the older rap tradition.

and it's interesting, I think, that so many big artists out there, when listing the kind of music they like or that has inspired them, go with stuff completely out of the genre of whatever they do. Things that most of their fans would never listen to. At least the really talented musicians do.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rap/hip-hop hasn't all gone the way of the empty club beat and mindless gangsta rap. The artform continues to evolve and go in different new directions. T.I., some of the early work of Eminem, etc. represent interesting new directions the genre and its subgenres have taken. I like Saul Williams a lot, are you familiar with him, Osiris? Most wouldn't label him as a rap artist but I think he has evolved out of the older rap tradition.

and it's interesting, I think, that so many big artists out there, when listing the kind of music they like or that has inspired them, go with stuff completely out of the genre of whatever they do. Things that most of their fans would never listen to. At least the really talented musicians do.

Haven't heard of him, but I'll check him out. I've been into Common lately on the HipHop scene.

sjprep06

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think I might honestly have one song from just about every type of major genre in my possession. I grew up listening to music from the 50's through the 70's. I LOVE music from the 80's and the early 90's. Regarding rap and r&b, most of the songs in that genre, that I have in my possession, come from the 80's and early 90's, when I think they were at their respective peaks. I'm still not quite a big fan of modern stuff for some reason.

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm having some very frustrating experiences with people who don't give music they're not accustomed to a chance. I know this guy who only listens to rap and R&B, and when I suggested other musical chocies, he just blew me off. Come on. As if America hasn't already jerked the sour milk out of the rap culture cow. 5 years ago, rap music was all I listened to. My whole hard-drive
was stocked with it. Now it's expanded to have artists like:

Frank Zappa (avatar)
King Crimson
Tom Waits
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Captain Beefheart
John Cale
Velvet Underground
Etc.

I don't wanna come off as a typical "old music is better" elitist, but good god. I just think most of The Billboard Chart (Or the Top 40 in Holland) is utter drivel.
When we used to listen to the Wu-Tang-Clan, it meant something. Kids these days think lyrical genius is:

'Verse numba 2 do the damn thang
Cubes on my neck pockets full of ben frank
When I'm in the mall hoes just pause
I pop a few tags give me that on the wall'

I mean, what the fucking fuck?

You are stating the same thing that every previous generation has said about the next generations thru out history. And just like anything else, there is good and bad in it all depending on your view point.

I love most kinds of music. Classical, heavy metal, classic rock, alternative, blues, folk, celtic...the genres go on and on. I do not like most rap of any period, hate gangsta rap, can listen to some jazz but prefer blues, can take country in small doses if someone else is listening to it.

Love The Rolling Stones, DESPISE The Beatles. There are some voices that send chills up and down my spine they are so beautiful, and some that are like nails on a chalk board.....like Alanis M. Ugh.

In the end, it's always going to be music that touches you that you think is good.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now here's a thread for me!!! :biggrin1:

I have extremely diverse musical tastes. I have everything from classical to punk to Tuvan throat singing in my collection!

My two very favorite kinds of music, though, are indie rock (from the early punk of the 70s to current stuff) and world music (all kinds, my first love is African music but I have found that I like all of it, and now have everything from the above mentioned Tuvan thoat singing to Eastern European folk music in my collection!)

As for rap, yeah, I'd say that I prefer either the older stuff or underground rap and hip-hop. And I love R&B and funk from the 70s - artists like George Clinton and Stevie Wonder.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I listen to everything from bluegrass to death metal. It's all about emotions, for me. Some people don't want to change, and that's fine. I don't judge them by it or say anything about it. I mean, they can do what they want. I really think they are limiting themselves, though. But they have to live with that decision, not me. :smile:

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Often times, someone's musical taste will have been influenced by their environment and/or upbringing.

For example, the first kind of music I listened to was dance (got a mix CD for my 12th birthday, I think), then my friends started telling me about this guy called 'Method Man' and I started listening to Wu-Tang, then Cypress Hill, Snoop Dogg, N.W.A... I started skateboarding and we were all listening to punk rock bands like Bad Religion, Pennywise, Lagwagon, No Use For A Name, Strung Out, The Misfits... afterwards, I started going to raves, so I was introduced to trance, goa and DnB/jungle (artists like Astral Projection, Hallucinogen, Pendulum, DJ Fresh, etc) and now I'm closely following the indie garage scene in Montreal, attending shows by unsigned and almost universally unknown bands like The B-Sides, CPC Gangbangs, Skip Jensen, Vicious/Delicious, etc...

My point: don't be so quick to dismiss others because of their musical choices. If that guy doesn't want to listen to other kinds of music, why should it bother you? I personally have very little use for Frank Zappa simply because his music doesn't 'grab' me like the aforementioned artists and genre. Same thing for classical music, or most country music and other genres. That's just how it is. Maybe that'll all change in 5-10 years or whatever, but in the meantime, I feel perfectly fine listening to my current library of music.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I'm having some very frustrating experiences with people who don't give music they're not accustomed to a chance. I know this guy who only listens to rap and R&B, and when I suggested other musical chocies, he just blew me off. Come on. As if America hasn't already jerked the sour milk out of the rap culture cow.

Why does it matter to you that other people won't expand their musical horizons? Some people love to try new things, and some don't. Let the latter folks be content within their "horizons".

I also suspect that you'll put people's backs up with the attitude that seems to be behind phrases like "jerked the sour milk out of the rap culture cow", "utter drivel" and "I mean, what the fucking fuck?". Few people want to be bullied or taunted into trying something new.