Pep Effects And Side-effects, Feeling Sick?

madmax901

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I need some advices. Please. I am 29 year old gay man. I had some unprotected sex, I am top, always been one. We used condom after but first few minutes we didnt. We were drunk I wasnt very hard yet I regret this a lot.
I started using PEP like 40 hours after that sex.
Its 5 pills a day for 28. Doctor told me not to worry yet.. I am. 12 days on PEP. I feel sick. Like I am coming down with a cold. Feeling weak and sickish... Its not corona I hope, I barelly saw anyone since the outbreak in my country but we can never know. I ve been to gym yet my gym is empty in the hours I go. Is it hiv?
Side effects are pain in the ass. I learned my lesson. Nausea, diarrhea every day.
Doc said that they never had patient who was infected after PEP, and proper usage. Ofc that there is a risk but in his practice never.
Why am I feeling ill..

Hi @madmax901 it's a good safeguard that you started taking PEP within the first 40 hours after possible exposure. I'm not a clinician or doctor, but based on what I read since you began treatment right away, which it's recommended to do so within 72 hours of exposure, you should be fine. You may be having side effects from taking the medication. I would advise to get an HIV test soon just to be safe. Also since you were Top the risk is somewhat lower. I hope you feel better soon and this info helps!

Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Understanding HIV/AIDS

@madmax901 I never took PEp, but I'm currently taking PrEP, Descovy and had some side effects within the first few days. I would definitely recommend getting checked. It may just be a chase of jitters since it was unprotected sex. After your round of PEP, maybe talk to your healthcare provider about taking PrEP. Definitely go get tested. Hope all goes well!

Tony

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As an HIV clinical social worker, I can tell you that the symptoms of the acute infection stage would not be showing up at 40 hours. In my experience, two things are possible culprits: 1) side effects of the meds are a real possibility. Make sure you are taking the meds as directed in regards to meals. In addition, you could ask your provider for some Zofran, which is for nausea. 2) you could be stressing too much and causing the symptoms yourself. Relax, sounds like you are in good hands and like your doctor, I have never had a patient seri-convert to positive after PEP. Finish your meds and know that you are in good hands and congratulate yourself for your quick action. Good luck!

madmax901

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As an HIV clinical social worker, I can tell you that the symptoms of the acute infection stage would not be showing up at 40 hours. In my experience, two things are possible culprits: 1) side effects of the meds are a real possibility. Make sure you are taking the meds as directed in regards to meals. In addition, you could ask your provider for some Zofran, which is for nausea. 2) you could be stressing too much and causing the symptoms yourself. Relax, sounds like you are in good hands and like your doctor, I have never had a patient seri-convert to positive after PEP. Finish your meds and know that you are in good hands and congratulate yourself for your quick action. Good luck!

Thank You. Your post made my day. ❤️ This is a trully great forum.
I have a common cold. Stronger one yet no fever etc. Its that time of the year. I m just scared because all the stories, hiv, corona virus ,mind runs wild.
Thank You again. ❤️

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank You. Your post made my day. ❤️ This is a trully great forum.
I have a common cold. Stronger one yet no fever etc. Its that time of the year. I m just scared because all the stories, hiv, corona virus ,mind runs wild.
Thank You again. ❤️
You are very welcome! Hope the cold passes soon.

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Great advice from @ohiorod
Ask your PCP for “Zofran” he/will probably prescribe the generic but this is an easier name to remember.
In another forum here on PrEP I gave the same advice. Don’t take on an empty stomach and if you’re experiencing diarrhea take a probiotic as you are flushing the good bacteria from your GI tract.
I’m glad you posted your question here but you should always speak with your PCP or staff regarding side effects. If you’re not satisfied with their answer, push back. It’s okay to question your doctor, we’re not perfect and don’t have all the answers.
Good luck.

Reactions: ohiorod