Perfect Proposal?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

What would be the ideal way that a man could ask for your hand in marriage?

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

In private - I'd be horrified by him doing anything that we often see in films like having it flashed up on the screen at a baseball game, or going down on one knee in public or having a cake bought to the table with the ring inside. I'd have to say no then just to be blood minded for his presumption that I was automatically going to say yes :)

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Mine is weird and somewhat embarrassing. :redface: So I'll share after we get a few more responses. hehe.

4. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not gonna get married again unless I get an OUTRAGEOUS proposal!!!

Perhaps a troupe of travelling musicians invading my next BBQ, and my proposer (is there such a word?) getting down on one knee (definitely NOT on all fours) and begging me for my glands (mammaries) in marriage.

5. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Its pretty boring, but.. Laying in bed on a cold rainy night, snuggling, with him so gently stroking my face/hair whilst looking me in the eyes.

Hopeless romantic
    :redface:

But as princess said, it has to be in private, a tacky TV proposal or something along those lines would be mortifying

6. LoveItBitch

LoveItBitch New Member

Albums:
    I actually turned down a man who took the time to get a catterer at nite and a spot on the beach with rose pedals and candles all around with a table set for an elegant dinner and a goergeous ring set in the wine glass.. but when u dont feel in love.. what can u do?

7. Principessa

Gold Member

That sounds glorious. I would kill to have a man love me that much. One question, you had to know he felt much more for you than you did for him...why did you let it get that far?:confused:

I want the fairytale! I want a proposal that I can tell to my mom and my friends and my grandchildren. I do not want him to roll over in bed and pull the ring out of his pillowcase! I'm sorry but that's just unacceptable. As a matter of fact I know a woman who declined a proposal for that among other reasons.

My best friend since the age of 3, her then boyfriend, now husband proposed at dinner at Windows on the World in NYC back in 1989. He first asked her father for her hand in marriage. he of course said yes.

They took a limo into NYC and were allegedly to see the Nutcracker after dinner. She had never seen it and was really excited. :smile: She wanted to skip dessert so they wouldn't be late for the show, but the waiter bought over the tray with the chocolate mousse (her fave dessert) and the ring. Michael got down on bended knee and said, "the show, is here tonight. Will you please do me the honor of being my wife. I love you." She cried, said yes, the maitre d' took pictures it was beautiful.

I want something like that.

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

*sigh* I guess that means it's time to share mine. :redface:

First off... any man who would ask for my hand in marriage would have to go through both my father AND my step-father. He would need permission from both of them. (My dad might be a bit intimidating, but my step-father is incredibly cool... if the guy is a good one, he shouldn't have a problem saying yes.)

As far as the actual proposal goes, this would be my dream.... we go out to the Longbranch on a wednesday night for karaoke... (It's "my" bar. I've been a regular there for 4 years or so now, so I know all the wait staff and the other regulars, and am good friends with the DJ.) My guy would sing "You're the First, the Last, My Everything" by Barry White... but the clincher is, he would actually have to MEAN everything that the songs says, and he would have to do a decent job at singing it. At least know all the words.

Here's the lyrics for any lost souls who haven't heard this song...

We got it together, didn't we?
    Nobody but you and me.
    We got it together, baby.

My first, my last, my everything,
    And the answer to all my dreams.
    You're my sun, my moon, my guiding star.
    My kind of wonderful, that's what you are.

I know there's only, only one like you
    There's no way they could have made two.
    Girl, you're all I'm living for
    Your love I'll keep for evermore.
    You're the first, the last, my everything.

In you I've found so many things,
    A love so new, only you could bring.
    Can't you see if you,
    You'll make me feel this way,
    You're like a first morning dew on a brand new day.

I see so many ways that I can love you,
    'Till the day I die....
    You're my reality, yet I'm lost in a dream.
    You're my first, the last, my everything.

[instrumental]

I know there's only one, only one like you
    There's no way they could have made two.
    Girl, you're my reality.
    But I'm lost in a dream,
    You're the first, you're the last, my everything.

You and me babe...
    Just you and me.
    You are the first, the last, my everything.

The last three lines of the song are sung real quietly, almost a whisper... and he actually says them more than sings them. So during those last three lines, he walks over and gets on one knee... and as he says the very last line of the song, he pulls the ring out then asks me to marry him. :biggrin: I have it ALLLLLL planned out, now I just have to find someone willing to do that. My ex boyfriend wouldn't sing karaoke period, regardless of his level of intoxication. *sigh* Guess that means he wasn't the one for me!

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Awww :)

We all love barry.

10. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is close to what I got, only add the fact that I had a miserable cold at the time so there were already plenty of tissues handy.

11. B_VoodooGuy

B_VoodooGuy New Member

Well, I don't know if you really care to hear it, but here's how I did mine:

Of course, I asked permission from her father ((who was really happy and said yes...~phew~)); I also went to her grandfather, though, who she is really very close to. He said yes, too ((that was the big one!)).

I ended up proposing on a really nice beach at dusk. It was a really nice night ((especially considering it was in Florida))... crisp, clear, breezey... lots of stars, nice and cool. Almost cold. I really liked it. She did, too, apparently. She said yes. Guess that was the biggest one. :]

12. No_Strings

Gold Member

I'm keeping mine secret incase I spoil it for them(as if they would ever read LPSG :rolleyes:).
    I have a few ideas up my sleeve for that special day, should it ever happen. :wink:

13. Ed69

Gold Member

Does proposing by my sisters grave count as romantic?Just so you know,Lisa said yes!She cleared away a very dark time in my life and gave me the ability to see a new sunrise.That's the whole reason for my back piece.(See my gallery)It was the end of something dark and sad for me and the beginning of a bright new day for us.

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I think if the person asking is someone you love enough to say yes to in the first place then any proposal is perfect. As exampled by Lee and Gillette - both those scenarios sound beautiful to me.

I was sitting on a camel when proposed to - the whole notion was very romantic - the Great Pyramid, the evening sun in the desert. Lovely idea. The reality was somewhat distracting what with the truculent camels and flies and such. But it was very lovely - made all the more lovely by the fact that it was the right man asking me.

15. Love-it

Gold Member

We had just met again after meeting 2 years before in the High Sierras and we got her signed up on the mostly female volunteer trail crew. I had decided that she was the woman I was going to marry. We were out in the wilderness working trails, spending the nights in 2 sleeping bags zipped together. I was surely in love because on the previous tour I had my normal mountain appetite where I could eat multiple plates of whatever we were having for dinner, we ate well and heartily. On this tour I could barely finish half of the first plate! I told just about everyone on the trail crew that I was going to marry this woman. She got wind of what I was telling people and she suggested that maybe I should ask her first. "OK, will you marry me." Maybe not as romantic as some of the situations mentioned above but it worked for us, we have been together for 33 years. No bended knee and it certainly never occurred to me that I should ask her father for her hand in marriage. Besides that, she had married the boyfriend she was with 2 years before when we had first met, he turned out to be a druggie, so she had to get a divorce before we could get married.

16. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gosh I don't know how I would prefer it really..... I mean, other than it be someone I am likely to say yes to! I hate saying no.
    A guy got down on bended knee at London Heathrow and proposed to me, when I was coming back to America, as they were boarding my flight. And he had only known me 3 weeks! I was touched but also embarrassed- mostly because I had to say no and I felt really bad for him, with all these people looking at us, and everyone expecting the 'happy outcome'. All I did was cry and say "I'm sorry..." gosh I still cringe remembering that day.
    I found out later he had done it like that on purpose, thinking in that situation I would not say no. Well, only knowing me 3 weeks, he was taking a gamble anyway.
    So I would like it to be:
    a. private.
    b. someone who knows me but loves me anyway.
    c. and while it would be nice for the actual proposal to be a surprise, I would like there to be a little history of at least tentative discussion first.

but I'm not holding my breath.:rolleyes:

17. lvlgdck

lvlgdck New Member

Sassy, I'm with you on that last one. It should be something we've discussed doing - spending the rest of our lives together - before he actually proposes.

What a horrible set-up for failure if it hadn't previously been discussed, he asked and the woman said no. In your case, the man shouldn't have done it so publicly, as he did so intending to put you on the spot. That right there is indication enough it wouldn't have worked out.

Haven't really thought about it otherwise. Guess I would want it to be a bit on the romantic side, but I don't need my parents' permission to wed. Some find that extremely romantic, I just find it archaeic.

18. lvlgdck

lvlgdck New Member

Uh, what are you saying about LPSG women, No_Strings??? I take offense to this. Seriously!

19. WildHoney

Gold Member

My marriage proposal was so outrageously bad that everyone I tell it to looks at my husband with utter horror on their faces.

Regardless of how badly he asked me to marry him, I fell in love with him 24 hours after meeting him. I wanted to be with him forever and I wanted to marry him, so I said yes.

It is not our proudest moment, although it is now a funny dinner party story.

We have been married for nearly 20 years, and if he asked me again today, in the same awful way, I'd say YES in a heartbeat.

xx
    Honey

Draft saved Draft deleted