Perhaps the Fall of Fundamentalism in America Has Begun

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jerry Falwell, Evangelist, Political Activist, Dies
By Heather Burke

May 15 (Bloomberg) -- Reverend Jerry Falwell, the Baptist minister who used television to bring his message to millions and then founded the Moral Majority to help politically mobilize the religious right, has died. He was 73.

The cause may have been a heart-rhythm abnormality, said cardiologist Carl Moore of Lynchburg General Hospital in Virginia. Falwell was found without a pulse in his office in Lynchburg at 11:30 a.m. and pronounced dead at 12:40 p.m., Moore said. Falwell had a history of heart trouble.
Falwell started the Moral Majority in 1979 to organize Christians to be politically active. The group registered millions to vote and advocated for social and moral issues, including overturning the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion. The Moral Majority, which disbanded in 1989, was partly responsible for the 1980 election of Republican President Ronald Reagan, said Randall Balmer, a professor of American religious history at Barnard College in New York.

For the rest of the story go to: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awBO0xR.fx2A&refer=home
To contact the reporter on this story: Heather Burke in Princeton at hburke2@bloomberg.net. Last Updated: May 15, 2007 14:46 EDT

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I doubt it's a sign of the fall of fundamentalism in America. It's probably just God getting him back for being so mean to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Perhaps the Fall of Fundamentalism in America Has Begun ?

I can remain hopeful, but I doubt it. I'm more likely to win the big jackpot in the lottery than to be unburdened of Falwell's and similar legacies. The simpleton sheep will always admire and follow Falwells, Phelpses, Swaggarts, Dobsons, or any of the other clones of evil.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
and good riddance

I saw a good show on Al Jazeera TV about how the American evangilical movement is splitting over the issue of climate change and global warming.

Falwell was basically saying that GW is a left-wing, anti-Christian conspiracy!

The guy was a real wing-nut!

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank God! The damage this man has done is immesurable. He was one of the first ones to suggest to Reagan that he inject his personal religious views into government, and no one hit him with a 2x4 in the head to make him shut the fuck up since.

Faith-based society=Dark ages folks. I'm sorry so many of us are really this stupid. I'm glad he's dead, I hope a lot more of these dinosaurs follow suit.

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Thank God! The damage this man has done is immesurable. He was one of the first ones to suggest to Reagan that he inject his personal religious views into government, and no one hit him with a 2x4 in the head to make him shut the fuck up since.

Faith-based society=Dark ages folks. I'm sorry so many of us are really this stupid. I'm glad he's dead, I hope a lot more of these dinosaurs follow suit.

Amen!

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sadly, very stupid people can be all too easily persuaded that they are able to find truth. I fear that there is a long line of fucktards waiting to take advantage.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Everyone catch the announcement on MSNBC, working in a quote from Whitehouse.org about Falwell's influence on the White House?

Whitehouse.org is, of course, a frantically anti-Bush parody site, and has nothing to do with Whitehouse.gov. But hey, "all the 'news' that fits, we print".

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
To the title of this thread, I hope and pray that fundamentalism is on the wane. The ridiculous positions they have taken in the last few years have been more than moderate America can stand. Such as:

1. A fetus less than three months old is a full fledged human with a name and a soul and full rights of a citizen. A mother doing something to cause a miscarriage or having an abortion is guilty of murder. Why not just say that all sperm are American citizens with full citizenship rights? Makes as much sense.

2. Global warning and related positions. These positions finally woke up America to the ridiculous positions the fundies were taking.

3. The earth is less than 6000 years old. Enough said there. That statement is a farce.

I won't name any more, just three of the worst positions Falwell took during his lifetime. There are more that could be named.

God forgives so I'm sure he is in heaven. But only through the grace of God, not for anything he did to spread love throughout the world.

Now I have some praying to do that Falwell will be in a different suburb of heaven than my assigned suburb.

I'm not proud of this, but the truth is I despised the guy.

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I doubt it's a sign of the fall of fundamentalism in America. It's probably just God getting him back for being so mean to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker.

AMEN! as I posted in the other related thread, I'm just glad he died before Tammy Faye so that she can be assured that her son's ministry is safe from falwell potentially taking over his ministry.

Now on to Fred Phelps!

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
He had racists like George Wallace and Lester Maddox on his Old-Time Gospel Hour TV show.
In the early 80s, Falwell spoke in support of South Africa's Apartheid regime.
He described AIDS as "the wrath of God against homosexuals."
He believed the Antichrist, when he appears (yawn yawn), "must be, of necessity, a Jew."
He said "I believe God is a Republican, with a small 'r'."
We all know what he said after 2001.
Thanks for your spiritual instruction, Jerry.
He did soften his racist views, to be sure.
And I don't really want to say I'm glad he's gone.
But I'm glad his voice is gone.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
About fucking time.

Answer to the title question: No. Other assholes will step up in his place.

LOL

Yep... and hell rejoices!

and good riddance

I saw a good show on Al Jazeera TV about how the American evangilical movement is splitting over the issue of climate change and global warming.

Falwell was basically saying that GW is a left-wing, anti-Christian conspiracy!

The guy was a real wing-nut!

I can already hear Temeluchus the Angel of Torment sharpening his knives down there... He's gonna have fun with lil' Jerry.

I'm not proud of this, but the truth is I despised the guy.

AMEN! as I posted in the other related thread, I'm just glad he died before Tammy Faye so that she can be assured that her son's ministry is safe from falwell potentially taking over his ministry.

Now on to Fred Phelps!

Ah yes--the loud mouthed liberals step forward.
NEWSFLASH PEOPLE--

YOUR HATRED IS JUST AS DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR ALLEGED CAUSE AND SUPPORT AS HIS IGNORANCE WAS TO HIS.

BIGGEST DIFFERENCE HERE IS THAT HE WAS AN IGNORANT MAN AND DID NOT KNOW ANY BETTER. YOU GUYS HAVE NO EXCUSE (unless of course you all plan to plead ignorance)

The bottom line is hatred is hatred and if you all plan to call Falwell on the carpet for his then you better be damned well ready to strip naked and step to the judgement booth for your lashes. (sorry of that sounded too sexual-- I know Jerry would have approved in this case)