periods

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yup. They slowly merge together over time, or a dominant female will stick to her cycle and everyone else will adjust to hers. It's funny. I'm always in a ki d of leadership role, but it's never my period that dictates the group's cycle.

At my last job, there were three female bosses and two male bosses. We never quite synched up perfectly, probably because we each lived with strong women. But our cycles were about four days offset, one after the other, with my period starting last. All the women knew I kept a communal stash of hygiene and NSAID products in my locker, and that my combination was the worst-kept secret since wiki leaks. So, often enough, there were limited supplies left when it was my turn. On the other hand, no one bothered me if I used the gadgets we sold to relieve my symptoms.

When my sister in-law and her friend moved in with us around that time, the three of us synched up, seemingly closer to my sister in-law's cycle.

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is a pretty gross experiment but illustrates why this happens.(my best friends and I always synced up)

Evidence for the Health Claim
Various studies have been conducted to examine menstrual cycle patterns of roommates, close friends, coworkers, and family members. The first scientific observation was carried out by Martha McClintock in 1971, who interviewed 137 members of her all-women’s dorm at Wellesley College several times over the course of a school year to obtain onset dates for each woman’s period. After comparing data for roommates, close friends who spent a lot of time together, and living groups, McClintock found that the difference between onset dates decreased over the course of the year for the women who spent the most time together. Subsequent studies have produced similar results.
There is limited research on what may cause menstrual synchrony, but the most common hypothesis has to do with pheromones–airborne, odorless, chemical signals produced by the skin, which animals use to share information about sex and reproduction.
Recent human studies involved placing cotton pads under the arms of women who were in the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle (the first two weeks before ovulation occurs), to collect their sweat and pheromones. The cotton pads were then wiped on the upper lips (below the nose) of another group of women, who thought they were controls in the experiment, three times a week for at least five months. By the end of the study most of the “recipients” were menstruating at the same time as their “donors,” possibly because of a change in the release of a hormone from the pituitary gland that triggers ovulation.

SFLP

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
But if one is living in an all women's dorm like the 1971 study, perhaps the women can chip in to save some dollars by buying tampons and pads at Costco or Sam's Club in bulk! Everything has a silver link, right? :) Plus the guys can better know when to stay away from such a dorm and the potential emotional torment inflicted upon them by their girlfriends if some of the girlfriends display PMS symptoms. I'm certainly good at picking up the clues as to when my partner is about to get her period....

LvBgDk25

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
After being alone for years...my daughter moved back in with me. Go figure...I began to have a period twice a month! One with her and the other on my regular cycle...she moved out and now I am back to normal! This struggle is real :) LOL

Um, no. But then again, perhaps I tend to be the one messing up everyone else's cycle, I suppose that is a possibility.
I think the reason why some people believe that this does happen is due to the fact that not all women have the same length of menstrual cycle. If my cycle is 26 days, and another woman's cycle is 32 days, then eventually at some point our periods would convene.

So anyway, I was looking for an interesting "women's issues" thread to resurrect, and what I found instead was "periods". I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist sticking some common sense on the internet.

I can't imagine that it would be a good thing if women evolved to synchronize their periods when living together. Surely it's more sensible and a lot safer if there is only one grumpy or unreasonable person at a time?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Maybe period syncing is more about ovulating. If women give birth at about the same time, or within a few months of each other, maybe there is more cohort support - both between the mothers and between the children.

Doranq

Legendary Member
Media
Maybe period syncing is more about ovulating. If women give birth at about the same time, or within a few months of each other, maybe there is more cohort support - both between the mothers and between the children.
I was thinking more along the lines of aren't women generally more likely to get pregnant and/or want sex during ovulation?

Thus if they are close to the same page. Other females are less likely to have an advantage over them. So this will increase her chance of getting pregnant/the alpha male selecting her rather than her rival on a day that she isn't ovulating. Or maybe with all of these sexy ovulating mammals walking about, this is going to greatly increase most of the males' desires to have sex. Thus raising the odds of all of them getting pregnant and propagating the species

*shrugs* I could be wrong. It is fun to guess though. Also glad I am not affected by something similar.
Would be hilarious. Every male is pitching a tent about the same times others do. I guess we all decided every day is a good day for camping.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
dudes have a cycle and they totally sync up.
i've lived with dudes most of my life and i have seen the perfectly timed ManFest that is a group hormonal surge.
ya get boys displaying and being macho.. like even the aroma of the house changes. testosterone city.

i've gone menstrual twinsies with an ex of mine.
i get nesty, she got needy
it was a perfect match.

DaisyDoesIt

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have like 2 periods a yr. And find it trying dealing with the endless biological functions/mood swings/general bitchyness of cycling women. Would probably be pure lesbo, were it not for that. Or I could be totally straight. If guys weren't focused 97% on their winkies. Ah well----I'm just extremely horny @ the moment---and somebody is gonna get a REALLY dominant Fuck shortly----and with this guy, it's even odds....