Periods

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by D_Amyntas Lillydong, Aug 19, 2008.

1. D_Amyntas Lillydong

D_Amyntas Lillydong Account Disabled

Here is how a friend of mine describes her period. She is thirty. Does she need hormones?

I get a lot of anxiety before, maybe don't want to deal with much, then when I get it, I usually want peace and quiet so I can suffer alone as easily as possible. I get very depressed afterward, too, like I just failed as a woman. As far as the physical symptoms, a few days before, there a few very brief mild cramps sometimes (never had that when I was younger though), sensitivity to light (which continues the whole time and makes things worse, more hot flashes, diarrhea and cramps), and a day or hours before getting it, I get a surge of hormones that gives me this buzzing feeling throughout my body, hot flashes, and diarrhea. Then I get it and the cramping starts immediately and gets severe within a couple of hours. Then I could have cold flashes, hot flashes, uncontrollable trembling throughout my whole body, especially legs and midsection, nausea, vomiting, etc.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by hormones. How old is she? The hot and cold flashes could be a sign of peri-menopause. The sensitivity to light prior to the start of her period is actually a symptom of a pre-menstrual migraine. I get those 2 or 3 times a year. :12: I'm not a doctor but it sounds like she is absolutely miserable at least 5 days a month. :frown1: I have endometriosis, but I don't think thats what she has because her symptoms are different. She needs to see a gynecologist and tell him everything you just told us plus whatever she may have forgotten to tell you.

3. B_Bette

B_Bette New Member

Chaste tree berry, aka Vitex Agnus Castus, can be very helpful. I suggest she start with small doses first (use the liquid extract so she can control it) and see what helps. I usually take at least one dose when premenstrual. My headache and neck tension disappear.

Wild Yam is also a possibility. It is a natural progesterone, which can be very calming.

She needs to discuss with naturopath/MD before trying any of these remedies. They're not right for everyone.

4. D_Amyntas Lillydong

D_Amyntas Lillydong Account Disabled

I appreciate the feedback. She would prefer to go through the herbal route based on her lifestyle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice