Periods

D_Amyntas Lillydong

Account Disabled
Media
Here is how a friend of mine describes her period. She is thirty. Does she need hormones?

I get a lot of anxiety before, maybe don't want to deal with much, then when I get it, I usually want peace and quiet so I can suffer alone as easily as possible. I get very depressed afterward, too, like I just failed as a woman. As far as the physical symptoms, a few days before, there a few very brief mild cramps sometimes (never had that when I was younger though), sensitivity to light (which continues the whole time and makes things worse, more hot flashes, diarrhea and cramps), and a day or hours before getting it, I get a surge of hormones that gives me this buzzing feeling throughout my body, hot flashes, and diarrhea. Then I get it and the cramping starts immediately and gets severe within a couple of hours. Then I could have cold flashes, hot flashes, uncontrollable trembling throughout my whole body, especially legs and midsection, nausea, vomiting, etc.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not sure what you mean by hormones. How old is she? The hot and cold flashes could be a sign of peri-menopause. The sensitivity to light prior to the start of her period is actually a symptom of a pre-menstrual migraine. I get those 2 or 3 times a year. :12: I'm not a doctor but it sounds like she is absolutely miserable at least 5 days a month. :frown1: I have endometriosis, but I don't think thats what she has because her symptoms are different. She needs to see a gynecologist and tell him everything you just told us plus whatever she may have forgotten to tell you.

Here is how a friend of mine describes her period. She is thirty. Does she need hormones?

I get a lot of anxiety before, maybe don't want to deal with much, then when I get it, I usually want peace and quiet so I can suffer alone as easily as possible. I get very depressed afterward, too, like I just failed as a woman. As far as the physical symptoms, a few days before, there a few very brief mild cramps sometimes (never had that when I was younger though), sensitivity to light (which continues the whole time and makes things worse, more hot flashes, diarrhea and cramps), and a day or hours before getting it, I get a surge of hormones that gives me this buzzing feeling throughout my body, hot flashes, and diarrhea. Then I get it and the cramping starts immediately and gets severe within a couple of hours. Then I could have cold flashes, hot flashes, uncontrollable trembling throughout my whole body, especially legs and midsection, nausea, vomiting, etc.

B_Bette

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Chaste tree berry, aka Vitex Agnus Castus, can be very helpful. I suggest she start with small doses first (use the liquid extract so she can control it) and see what helps. I usually take at least one dose when premenstrual. My headache and neck tension disappear.

Wild Yam is also a possibility. It is a natural progesterone, which can be very calming.

She needs to discuss with naturopath/MD before trying any of these remedies. They're not right for everyone.