Perm bans, temp bans and reinstatements

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by prepstudinsc, Mar 25, 2009.

1. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I'm confused here. When I was a mod, a permanent ban was just that--permanent. Depending on the infraction, or how many times the member broke the rules, temporary bans were used--sometimes just a few days, other times 30 days or more.

Now there has been a resurgence of banned members coming back, so I'm confused over the infraction policy now. What good are permanent bans if they aren't really permanent? Why have infractions at all?

Has the ToS been revised again and I missed reading it?

I'm sure that this post will get flamed and probably be considered problematic, but so be it...I'm just confused.

2. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    The one criticism I've leveled against the mods here (and not just in light of recent events) has been the rigidity of unilateral decisions. I see the recent ability of the mods in particular and the site in general to revisit their [sometimes ill-advised or hasty] decisions as an extremely positive and mature development.

3. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

I prefer mods who are hasty, irrational and immature! Like a Chilean dictatorship!

Keeps things cracklin and poppin around here.

4. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Kindly refer to this thread for some thoughtful advice.:wink:

5. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm glad there's an appeal and a petitioning procedure now. They allow for reflection and consideration on both sides.

6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sometimes you just need some time and space after a heated incident. When the dust clears things are usually clearer.

7. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Seems like it would make more sense to allow the bannee to offer up an explanation or his/her case before he/she is banned.

By the time the individual is banned, he/she doesn't even have an opportunity to defend the said action because they can't access the site.

It makes absolutely no sense to me. I was banned for a month and didn't have a clue why I was banned. Fortunately another member had my email address and was able to track down a mod so that I could get an explanation.

In my experience, the decision to ban is made without consulting the subject in any manner. In other words, taking the reporter's word as gospel and assuming one is guilty with no recourse to prove innocence.

Similar the way Hussein ran his judicial system.

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Oh give me a break star you are much too smart to play victim. Anyone who has ever been banned has had messages or warnings from the moderators based on your actions on the board. Anyone who has the audacity to say they don't know why they were banned is living in a fools paradise. Any banned members with the possible exception of minors and spammers is sent an e-mail (providing you have an e-mail address that is active) explaining why you were banned. From that you have the opportunity to respond. I expected more from you than this passive aggressive response. From others fine from you? I am really disappointed unless you are playing the victim card like everyone else who does not want to take responsibility for their actions.

#8 nudeyorker, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

May have been a mixup on the email; if so I stand corrected. FWIW I haven't suggested or complained that I shouldn't have been banned; only that I didn't know why and couldn't access the site initially.

That said, I did get an email explaining the violation from a mod after a member passed along my correct email to that mod a day or two after the ban.

I can't speak for other members that have been banned, but the context of the email was this is why you were banned. It wasn't this is why you were banned, can you explain or provide the context by which this post came to be; or do you care to dispute the complaint?

I'm sure you know that its not your judgment that concerns me at all.:wink:

I've never made a mod report and doubt that I ever will. However, for that reason, it appears as though those who habitually make reports and cry foul are [purposely or not] awarded some kind of carpe blanche as they commonly perpetrate the very actions for which they blow the whistle and report others.

My intention here is not to criticize the moderator board or its members as I know it's a thankless task that doesn't pay well; But the process by which a member is banned may have room for improvement.

10. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

One thing people need to remember is that if they change their email address, they need to make the change on here so warnings and emails can go through.

11. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

The mods are giving out fish?? And I never got one??

:cry:

12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

No use crying over spilt gefilte.

13. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

They are frying fish and chips out back. I am sure there is plenty for all--it won't be problematic.

14. Principessa

Gold Member

And therein lies the problem. From the viewpoint of a mere member such as myself, sometimes moderator actions can seem as mysterious as feeding the masses with four fish and a loaf of bread.

15. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

*ahem*

That's 2 fish and 5 loaves... sorry.

And I don't think the fish were carp of any colour either. I'd say tilapia in that part of the world... at a guess. :dunno:

16. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I am not one for fried fish, I prefer a nice cedar plank grilled salmon. For other sea food, frying is good. Can I put in an order for some fried shrimp, with fries, hush puppies and a side of slaw, with a glass of tea.

17. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Certainly, sir - can I interest you in any of today's specials?

We have some exceedingly fine water that will turn to wine if you don't mind waiting a bit.

18. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I, for one, am willing to give it an extra few minutes if it will bump up the alcohol content.

19. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Nudey that is simply not true. When the nine of us were banned not one of us ever got an email or a warning prior to being banned.
    I did not get an email from Pecker though Kotch said he sent one out
    this time neither did I get one when I was told someone would resend it.
    You also never,ever had the chance to try and talk to a mod after you had been banned unless you were friends with them prior to banning or came back in under an assumed name. There just wasn't a way to appeal the ToS never considered this issue until now.
    That system for sending notice to banned members had been broken for a very long time before you were a moderator.
    It was broken when Lex and Madame Zora were mods for that matter and I don't believe they even knew about it until Rob E. made it known just a couple of years ago.
    I have never changed my email address so it is something that is still possibly not working within the system here.
    I don't think it is about not taking responsibility for my actions either or for some of us.
    How do you take responsibility when you don't even know what the hell the rules are at any one time?
    I was warned for linking to a link of a post which certainly wasn't a rule
    when I posted it but prep gave me a months warning.
    People continued to post (whole) articles without giving notice of where the item came from but it was NJQT who was banned subsequently for doing less than others did. How can you take responsibility under those circumstances?
    I for one am glad that Kotch has made things better all the way around by trying to provide some continuity and transparency which was sadly lacking from the previous mods.
    cigarbabe:saevil:

20. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    I apologize in advance for this post which will make me seem even further to the Right than I normally am.

In regards to permanent bans, that's what they should be is permanent. The TOS are here for a reason and everyone is supposed to obey them.

Now, with the "if your friends with people/moderators" you can appeal it, seems like we're going to go back to the favored few who seem to get more perks than others. So really, what good would banning them be? There's no ramifications for their actions.

Consider this scenario:

You go over to a friends house because there is a party going on. While there someone insults you, threatens you and makes the place less than welcoming. In a perfect world, the host/hostess would ask the other person to leave and hopefully never ask them back.

Scenario number 2:

You own a business, let's say a restaraunt, and things are going well until some drunken sports fans trash the place because their team either won or lost. Obviously, you, as the owner would press charges and have them thrown in jail.

In both the scenarios, there is one or many people who make the enjoyment of going to either place nearly impossible. If the managment or host/hostess allowed them to come back, they would lose more partrons than it's worth.

It's the same case for here. There are rules that we all agreed to abide by here. It seems, that once again, we are sliding towards a system of the favored few who will be able to get away with anything now, including a permanent banning. If that's really the case, then what's the need for the rules? The TOS? Why even have Moderators?

Yes, I, like others, know of the people who have been banned. But unless it is a total mistake on the part of the Moderators, then the reason for the ban was because they broke the rules so severely, that it warranted a permanent banning.

Was I sad to see someone I liked banned permanently? Yes.
    Should they be allowed to come back in? Sadly, no.

As I said in the beginning, I'm sorry if this will place me in the Uber right on this but this is how I feel.

Thanks for your time,

Sklar

Draft saved Draft deleted