Perseid meteor shower.

Our moon is waxing, but (keep it clean....) saw a beaut streak by the other night. My fav, shower and this year high freq; thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: alcor972

If tonight remains clear (Friday 12 August) it might be the best opportunity those of us in London will get this year.

Will keep an eye out but with the light pollution...... don't hold out much hope.
Would the Welsh highlands be worth trying?
Pretty ignorant of travel logistics or weather there. Have seen the high moors near Thirsk in Yorkshire; with heather in full bloom, simply as beautiful as this planet gets. I'd imagine quite a star show for guests at the Hawnby Hotel (now inn). Clouds and clear change in the blink of an eye...

Here at 15% RH, in the high, western intermountain desert, just have to wait for moon set.

Cheers.

jojolongdong

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Would the Welsh highlands be worth trying?

Cheers.

I was thinking about this as soon as I'd sent this 'reply'.
Please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone) but I think the Persiad meteors, shower the whole planet.

I was thinking about this as soon as I'd sent this 'reply'.
Please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone) but I think the Persiad meteors, shower the whole planet.
Great question. Googled and it would appear so. Amazing.....

alcor972

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've never really seen a meteores shower... in french... pluie d'étoiles filantes...
I've already seen several times isolated/random meteores... not coming from a particular region of the sky...
moreover the persee constellation is rising very early in the morning in august... and must be very low when the sun rises therafter...
in those conditions... I don't understand well how this meteore shower can be so noticeable...
I feel that the reason must be that in europe... this constellation could rise early in the night than in my island due to its closer proximity to the circumpolar area of the sky... which is very reduced in my island...
even kochab... the brightest star of the little dipper is not always visible... lol... and polaris is very low to the north...
nextly... in early november... a meteore shower in the lion constellation... the leonids... will occur...
the lion rises after midnight in november... and as for the perseids... I've never seen a meteore shower that makes me shouting "wow"... lol... only isolated passing bright spots... not necessarily coming from the lion... letting sometimes a very beautiful wake in the sky like a firework... yesss!:)
saying that... I wish you all a good observation of the leonids...

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was raining. I was kind of sad. On the bright side, it made it cold out. I'm gonna put clothes on my dog. She hates wearing clothes, but I suspect she hates being cold more. Plus, she loves all the attention she gets, and peeps around here adore a well-dressed pit bull terrier.

It was raining. I was kind of sad. On the bright side, it made it cold out. I'm gonna put clothes on my dog. She hates wearing clothes, but I suspect she hates being cold more. Plus, she loves all the attention she gets, and peeps around here adore a well-dressed pit bull terrier.

Is ok, meteor showers are ok, it's the big one everyone will be watching :)