"Person of color"

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"non-white" is the equivalent of gay people being called "non-heterosexual" or women being called "non-male". It set's one type of person as the standard.

I was only throwing that term out there as an alternative to "person of color." I just think thats a horribly crummy, over PC term- which seems to imply that said "persons of color" are somehow more, dynamic, than non persons of color.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm ok with the term "white." Mainly because that's just what's been used. Even if my color really is beige-ish. I just think that "person of color" implies that I have no skin color, since the logical opposite of that term would be "person with no skin color."

FYI, white is the amalgam of all color. Black is the absence of color.

Not that that stopped the use of the term colored being applied to "black" people.

But the bigger question is, why the fuck would you give one rat's ass that the use of the term "person of color" implies that you have no skin color (even were that a legitimate inference to make)? Are you feeling persecuted? Or just annoyed by the stick up your....

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
FYI, white is the amalgam of all color. Black is the absence of color.

Not that that stopped the use of the term colored being applied to "black" people.

But the bigger question is, why the fuck would you give one rat's ass that the use of the term "person of color" implies that you have no skin color (even were that a legitimate inference to make)? Are you feeling persecuted? Or just annoyed by the stick up your....

How is it NOT a legit inference to make? Not feelin persecuted. Slightly annoyed every time I hear it, but nothing more.

D_Biggo Mortensen

Experimental Member
Media
Glaring ethnocentricity of the proposed term "non-white" aside, I do agree that the term "person of color" can be incredibly derisive. The amount of attention payed to race or skin color is derisive in and of itself. I'd rather drop the "of color" and just be called a person because I don't think skin color should be the defining characterization of any individual.

D_Biggo Mortensen

Experimental Member
Media
I think the message here is that you need to be careful what you throw out there when you are proposing reform. But there's no need to apologize. I don't think anybody was really offended by it.

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Actually, dude, regardless what you say here people are going to jump all over you.

I understood your point, although this "open-minded" forum is no place for personal opinion unless it matches everyone else's.

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media
Actually, dude, regardless what you say here people are going to jump all over you.

I understood your point, although this "open-minded" forum is no place for personal opinion unless it matches everyone else's.

I don't think that the issue is people not understanding the point, is just that the point is silly, after all, saying "people of colour" is just a way of saying "non-white." Just like saying "the n-word" is just like saying "nigger", of course there is a use-mention distinction in that case. Complaining that the existence of the term "people of colour" implies that he doesn't have any colour is missing the forest for a tree.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I think you folks missed the main point of my post- which was to question the use of the term "person of color." It was NOT to debate the appropriateness of "non white."

Oh - well what daft cunt brought 'non-white' into the discussion then?

Any other white people offended by the use of this term to describe non-white folks? I think it's a horribly crummy term. It implies that I, being fair-skinned, have no skin color. I may be fair-skinned beige, but it's STILL a skin color. Why can't they just use "non white"?

Ah. :rolleyes:

Because 'non-white' sets white as the norm or the standard. There is no need to define black (or other) people by their non-whiteness. That's worse (for me) than 'people of colour'.

Also - you are OK with the term 'white', even though you describe yourself as 'beige', but you are not OK with being left out of the 'people of colour'. What the fuck is the difference?
I'm ok with the term "white." Mainly because that's just what's been used. Even if my color really is beige-ish. I just think that "person of color" implies that I have no skin color, since the logical opposite of that term would be "person with no skin color."

I don't think it implies anything of the sort. I think it is a real stretch to see it that way AND be pissed off by it. I think you are actively seeking out something to be offended by.

Anyway, I'm not even sure why we need a catch all term that excludes white people. We don't have a catch all term for people who aren't ginger. We don't have a catch all term for people who aren't over 6' tall. But if there has to be a term then far better that it is a positive one than a negative one.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh - well what daft cunt brought 'non-white' into the discussion then?

Ah. :rolleyes:

I don't think it implies anything of the sort. I think it is a real stretch to see it that way AND be pissed off by it. I think you are actively seeking out something to be offended by.

Anyway, I'm not even sure why we need a catch all term that excludes white people. We don't have a catch all term for people who aren't ginger. We don't have a catch all term for people who aren't over 6' tall. But if there has to be a term then far better that it is a positive one than a negative one.

Better to be a "daft cunt" then a dumb one :)

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
FYI, white is the amalgam of all color. Black is the absence of color...

Slight clarification:

White is the color that happens when all colors of the spectrum are reflected.

Black is the color that happens when all colors are absorbed.

This is why darker clothes are avoided in summer. They absorb more wavelengths of light.

African Americans are not Black and Caucasians are not white.

But then, I don't get offended by what people call themselves.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In all seriousness, MANLYbannisters, the MAIN point was to question the appropriateness of "Person of color", and that the sub point was suggesting an alternative to said term. But instead of debating that point at first, you call me a daft cunt.