"Person of color"

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I already responded. Did you miss it?

No I didn't miss your response. But it was more nonsense. And the important bit of her post was in the first paragraph.

But you know what? Nevermind. As Morsecode said above---
I don't think that the issue is people not understanding the point, is just that the point is silly

Last edited:

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Any other white people offended by the use of this term to describe non-white folks? I think it's a horribly crummy term. It implies that I, being fair-skinned, have no skin color. I may be fair-skinned beige, but it's STILL a skin color. Why can't they just use "non white"?

Don't take it like that. It's not a negative unless you make it that. You lack melatonin, pigment. Sure you may not be completely devoid of color, but in comparison to those of us with color, you are deficient in that regard, thats all.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No I didn't your response. But it was more nonsense. And the important bit of her post was in the first paragraph.

But you know what? Nevermind. As Morsecode said above---

Would be wise to see if I've responded first before telling me to read someone's post :rolleyes:

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media
Slight clarification:

White is the color that happens when all colors of the spectrum are reflected.

Black is the color that happens when all colors are absorbed.

This is why darker clothes are avoided in summer. They absorb more wavelengths of light.

African Americans are not Black and Caucasians are not white.

But then, I don't get offended by what people call themselves.

You are both right, see additive and subtractive colour schemes. Also what he said is true when you are talking about light, white light contains all colour frequencies, as seen in the album cover of Dark Side Of The Moon, and black light or UV is invisible to the human eye. But I don't know if the inverse of white light exists, something that is made out of nothing, I'm not too hot on physics, maybe I should start.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't even begin to answer this *face palm*

LMAO! I had to laugh because it is just this exact enervated feeling that I am experiencing now with this subject... OP, what is really your purpose in starting this thread? You can not possibly think that someone is trying to exclude you by refering to themselves of their own group as "people of color" when from as long as there has been activity in the New World at least they have been classifiying individuals (For purposed perpetuated by the slave trade) according to color. "African Americans" (a misnomer as we can see since we now actually have an African American but not Black president, or should I say our first non white President in the USA) Before the Slave trade there was no such thing as "White" or "Black"... THis color distinction was greated by the ruling classes of caucasian immigrants to this country to divide, conquer and control both the White and BLack lower,indentured and slave classes. After Bacon's rebellion in the late 17th century9Where enslaved and indentured of all races rebelled against the ruling class) laws were inacted that separated African indentured and inslaved Native American indentured and inslaved from white. White lower classes (some formerly indentured) were granted honorary "white" status and their separation hinged specifically on their skin tone. SOme of these rights included the ability to testify against, kill, capture, rape , maim and patrol non whites with no recourse from the later. From then on we have had the ever changing concepts of "Whiteness" and "Blackness." THis term "color" was not created by those of minority or non white status. It was thrust upon them and continued to be used by them and others in discussions of their "otherness" . It is just one more of those woefully inadequate terms used to describe people of such diversity that they really defy categorization...

Last edited:

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I personally find most (probably not all, but I don't know them all, so can't be sure) PC terms offensive.

If I were asked to describe a good friend of mine, I might say "He's a tall, stunningly handsome black man" because he's... tall, stunningly handsome, and the colour we've come to describe as black. He would likewise describe me as "something something, white woman" Neither would be offended.

If I were to hear that description with "slightly pinkish" "not my colour" "pale skinned" "looks like she's been dead 20years" "non-black" or any of the other terms one could attribute to my personal skin tone, I'd not be offended by the terms, so much as him thinking I was so fucking sensitive as to be offended by being called white. He'd feel exactly the same way if I went out of my way to use "non-white" "person of colour" or anything else.

*makes note to change dogs description to "slightly pale cream coloured"*

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My original point was to note my frustration at the use of the term "person of color." In all seriousness, the term could be used to describe me....come to think of it. I think I will start to describe myself as a person of color....and all you catty bitches can kiss my fat gay ass.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In all seriousness, the term could be used to describe me....come to think of it.:rolleyes:

I think I will start to describe myself as a person of color....and all you catty bitches can kiss my fat gay...of color ass.

Okay, you can be the first white gay man of color so you don't feel left out. Be proud
my little Caucasian of color. :rolleyes:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My original point was to note my frustration at the use of the term "person of color." In all seriousness, the term could be used to describe me....come to think of it. I think I will start to describe myself as a person of color....and all you catty bitches can kiss my fat gay ass.

No need to get worked up. You can be offended if you want to be. I was merely giving you the history behind the term. It would be wonderful if we could get to the point where we didnt havea time when color was used to describe anyone.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No need to get worked up. You can be offended if you want to be. I was merely giving you the history behind the term. It would be wonderful if we could get to the point where we didnt havea time when color was used to describe anyone.

I've noticed a real cattiness among some of the long time members of this messageboard, even before I actually posted my first thread.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"face palm" "daft cunt" ....another poster implying that my skin is super pale (duh). I've noticed this kind of cattiness with other posters too. Woe betide any person who brings up a topic thats been brought up before!