Personal ad bullshit experiences

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by visualalert, Feb 28, 2008.

1. visualalert

visualalert New Member

In my neck of the woods, "HWP" on craigslist means "height/weight proportionate," which is a euphemism for "I'm pretty flabby but I don't think I'm really fat and neither does my Mom." This is a substitute for posting height, weight and waist size.

Another favorite from the past is "I have a symmetrical body." I always took "symmetrical" to mean one arm on each side, one eye on each side, one leg on each side. It's as meaningless as HWP. Or perhaps as meaningful, since both evasions allow the poster to avoid the specifics.

My favorite from back in the day when I did the (pre-Net) personals thing was age evasions. When I was in my 20s I got a reply to a personal from a guy who said he was "40+." I was already pretty jaded/cynical by then and asked him to put a specific number on "40+." Was it 45? 42? 48? 50? Nope, it was 63. He said he had used the "40+" construct to "discourage the youth oriented." I pointed out that if he'd just said he was 63, he could have accomplished the same thing.

Anybody else use the personals and have misrepresentation BS stories to share?

2. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Back when I used personals, it was always a pain in the ass.

When I put my profile on one site...all I got were Older men, despite my very clear direction, that I was only interested in men my age.

Then when I did find the ones my age... they had issues...serious ones.

Generally (because im known for blanket general statements that multi-offend) all you find on Personals ads are people that are just out of a relationship and hunting too soon, Married and looking for some on the side, or other issues like creepy crawlies or garbage pickers.

I've dated many off of the dating site scene. Been there, done that, and hesitant to return.
    Once you've been through more than 10 bad dates...you start to see the trend.

3. invisibleman

Gold Member

We probably dated the same guy.:rolleyes: Hehehe.

That is what happened to me. I didn't care about his age...but 45 is not 63 and 63 is not 45 . He didn't like me because I wasn't dark enough black in skin tone. He should've said something before the date. I would never have gone out with him.

I think that people should just be honest in their personal ads...and put a current face pic in there. I have met some mean spirited folk through the internet dating sites...so I stopped using them and went back to old school dating...like meeting them out in places.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Some of these were experienced by my girlfriends and some by me.

Internationally known musician - Played drums in a Beatles tribute/cover band.

Race/looks unimportant - He was literally color blind

Drives a Chrysler Convertible - It was a Le Baron! :yuck: Didn't they stop making those during Bill Clinton's first term. :rolleyes::tongue:

Pet lover - Has a climate controlled room in his house for his snakes and geckos.

I have so much love to give - I am the black hole of neediness; and will suck the life essence out of you like an alien on Star Trek. :tongue:
    Works out daily - Takes the stairs to his 2nd floor office and owns an abroller he uses once a week. :rolleyes:

5. seahorses

seahorses Member

I don’t use personal ads since I met my wife. Ok, that might tell you something, but it’s not so much the ads as the initialising of everything that I really object to; what exactly do the initials mean? And I hate to drag this out, but it’s not just the personal ads; it’s the same everywhere you’re required to fill out a form. The problem then being a set of initials used by one body can have an entirely different meaning when used by another? I mean S.I.U.Y.A. could mean, single intelligent unattached young adult, by one, but by others it could mean ‘shove it up your arse!’ I suppose it’s not so bad when you’re young and able to relate to those things, especially as the practice has become more popular with the growth of the internet, but for us oldies it can be a nightmare!

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only guy I ever met through a personal ad in a "lifestyle" paper in Boston was a king-sized weirdo.
    <shudder>
    A friend of mine was trolling for really odd websites when he sent me this link.

Lo and behold: Raven Drake lives!

7. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I caught one guy in a lie about his age (he was 10 years older than he said he was).

Another guy I talked to on the phone a few times but fortunately never met, the last time I talked to him on the phone he divulged that he was supposedly a "recovering" alcoholic, but continued to drink wine, and that he had been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, but "hadn't had an episode in a long time". Uh... I don't think I want to meet this guy! :eek:

8. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

VGL = does not own a mirror :wink:

9. lttlgrllst

lttlgrllst New Member

Really scary shit there!:eek:

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    He was good-looking enough for two dates. Once to discover his insanity and twice to confirm it.

Yeah...1994 sure was a strange year.

Draft saved Draft deleted