Personal Experiences with Racism?

smallman

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by SpeedoGuy@Sep 4 2005, 09:43 PM
As my wife is a very fair skinned latina (red hair and freckles) often mistaken for Irish, I often see the effects of racism by those who don't realize she's Spanish speaking and from Mexico.

Its a disappointment for both of us when new found friends or casual acquiantances unknowingly cut loose some racist crack about Mexicans in our presence. She'll give them an earful afterwards but the accumulated pain lingers over the years.

SG
[post=340714]Quoted post[/post]​

I make racist cracks all the time. A crack is a crack, not a deeply held belief.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by TexAssgirl
On another note, I had a bitter-sweet sight in the paper this morning with an officer pointing his gun on two men who misbehaved in New Orleans. They were laying on their belly and their hands behind their head and they were WHITE.
Nah, they're just light-skinned. Don't be fooled.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by ChimeraTX
It is good to hear that they finally found some. I wonder how much media coverage they will receive. :happy:

"Look! I just knew there had to be some white looters!"
[post=340724]Quoted post[/post]​
With what's been going on, I won't be surprised if whites get a little more vocal with their contempt of blacks in general and black men in particular.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Sep 5 2005, 01:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Sep 5 2005, 01:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-prepstudinsc@Sep 4 2005, 07:46 PM
I&#39;ve gone out with two black people before.
[post=340710]Quoted post[/post]​
Is it surprising that those against "racism" have usually interracially dated themselves?
[post=340713]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
probably less surprising than the fact that those in favor of it are usually spotty virgins.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Sep 5 2005, 12:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Sep 5 2005, 12:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ChimeraTX
It is good to hear that they finally found some.  I wonder how much media coverage they will receive. :happy:

"Look&#33;  I just knew there had to be some white looters&#33;"
[post=340724]Quoted post[/post]​
With what&#39;s been going on, I won&#39;t be surprised if whites get a little more vocal with their contempt of blacks in general and black men in particular.
[post=340815]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Make no mistake, wingnuts will use the disaster and ensuing chaos as an excuse to vent their hatred of minorities, particularly poor minorities.

Dr. Bubbles

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by prepstudinsc@Sep 5 2005, 12:46 AM
Living in North Carolina doesn&#39;t present problems for inter-racial relationships. Just come to my church and you&#39;ll see lots of it--not just black/white, but black/asian and black/latino. I played for a wedding two weeks ago for one of my friends who married a white guy (her second marriage to a white guy). She&#39;s only dated white guys. Her family doesn&#39;t have a problem with it. Her new husband&#39;s family didn&#39;t have a problem with him marrying a black woman, either. Maybe it&#39;s because we&#39;re in a city and not in a rural area like Steve is.
[post=340710]Quoted post[/post]​

I have lived in NC all my life and have experienced racism on many different levels... I grew up in a rural southern town, populated by mostly Indians. All around us, however, were larger towns that DID NOT and DOES NOT accept Indian people. Tension rises very high in that area. Trust me, I could give you a lesson on racial tension in that county that would shock you....

I do think the "city" offers a different approach, but again, I still get looks. People think I am Latina or white mixed with Asain all the time. I hear the comments. I feel the pressure, too.

Additionally, as if that were not bad enough... even as Indians we discriminate... You are not Indian enough... You are too much Indian... Are you are is an Indian... the list is endless.

Have I experienced... YES. Is it real? Very real...... very real.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
BB-
I was referring more to black/white racism than anything else, and specifically from the viewpoint of living in the city.

However, don&#39;t you think that a lot of the anti-NA feelings come from the way that Lumbees are treated even from other Native Americans? I know people up here who are mixed white and cherokee make slams against the Lumbees. When questioned, they make off handed racist comments like white would make against blacks in the 50&#39;s, using some of the same terminology. I don&#39;t understand where these feelings of come from, when it&#39;s inter-Native American racism, but I guess it&#39;s no different than colorism within the black community (light skinned people looking down on dark skinned people) or in the white community (WASPs looking down on people of southern European heritage).

Shamrock

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by prepstudinsc+Sep 3 2005, 09:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prepstudinsc &#064; Sep 3 2005, 09:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@Sep 2 2005, 06:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-prepstudinsc
@Sep 2 2005, 09:43 AM
We&#39;ve all witnessed Chimera&#39;s Klannish rants
[post=340115]Quoted post[/post]​
I&#39;ve been threatened, excluded, cursed, and attacked. Unsurprisingly, all of this occured in my "antiracist" stage.
[post=340251]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh, please...you&#39;re a 15 year old white guy. You&#39;ve never experienced racism like a black person has, or a native American, or an Asian. When you have experienced something of that magnitude, then I&#39;ll listen to you.
[post=340431]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Yes thats right, whites don&#39;t suffer from racism.
If thats true, how come anyone white can&#39;t walk into the south west areas of sydney without getting raped if you&#39;re a women or bashed if you&#39;re a man by arab
thugs. At the very least get called Aussie cunt or scum and threatened.

Shamrock

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by SpeedoGuy@Sep 5 2005, 11:43 AM
As my wife is a very fair skinned latina (red hair and freckles) often mistaken for Irish, I often see the effects of racism by those who don&#39;t realize she&#39;s Spanish speaking and from Mexico.

Its a disappointment for both of us when new found friends or casual acquiantances unknowingly cut loose some racist crack about Mexicans in our presence. She&#39;ll give them an earful afterwards but the accumulated pain lingers over the years.

SG
[post=340714]Quoted post[/post]​
Red hair and freckles? Sounds like she has unknown celtic blood somewhere.
I have heard of this before. I think its due to some interaction between the Irish and the Spanish somewhere way back.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by Shamrock@Sep 9 2005, 03:46 PM
Yes thats right, whites don&#39;t suffer from racism.
If thats true, how come anyone white can&#39;t walk into the south west areas of sydney without getting raped if you&#39;re a women or bashed if you&#39;re a man by arab
thugs. At the very least get called Aussie cunt or scum and threatened.
[post=341768]Quoted post[/post]​
Nuts isn&#39;t it? Some people need to learn that being "in the fuck all middle of nowhere,far far away from shiteland" is a privlidge.

(I mean&#39;t that description of Ozstralya as a compliment btw).

DCxMagus

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by smallman+Sep 4 2005, 03:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smallman &#064; Sep 4 2005, 03:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr Rock@Sep 3 2005, 10:46 PM
actually, "sheer survival" would be catching rats and drinking your own piss. stealing food and drink from convenience stores, on the other hand, is just making the best of a shitty situation. the stuff&#39;s there and nobody is gonna make you pay for it; you&#39;d have to be pretty stupid not to help yourself.
[post=340545]Quoted post[/post]​

all that inventory will be written off as loss by the stores anyway, why not steal a dvd?
[post=340550]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
WTF you going to play the damn DVD in?

lets see if I was in that sistuation and I had room for some cheese or a DVD....oh yeah I would get a DVD yeah thats right a useless disc to put in my DVD player stored conviently under 5 feet of water I&#39;m sure that and my TV would turn right on.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I had the words "nigger lover" scrawled on my wall by a redneck I KNEW, just for being friends with a black man&#33; It was some time later that I was actually called "nigger" myself when I lived in a more rural area, and I came to understand how it felt. I don&#39;t get followed in department stores, but I have seen it happen to blacks and latinos, and it makes me sick. People who claim to be advanced and sophisitcated are so frequently neither.

Oh yeah, if you&#39;re in the hood, say hi to the people you pass on the street instead of clutching your purse, it has never failed me. I&#39;ve never been accosted and I spend a lot of time in poor neighborhoods.

hippyscum

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by dcwrestlefan@Sep 4 2005, 04:52 AM
i worked at a department store a long time ago when i was 20 or so, and remember a day when a black lady came up to the counter for me to ring up some merchandise.  i was already waiting on a white woman.  both were dressed very well.  i&#39;d describe both of them as classy looking.  the white woman looked at her, grabbed her purse, and pulled it in close, like she thought it would be stolen otherwise.  there was zero reason for this. 

[post=340560]Quoted post[/post]​

This kind of shit doesn&#39;t even surprise me anymore. It still sickens me, but it doesn&#39;t surprise me. In Scotland, it&#39;s not the image of the "shop robbing black man" that people fear but Asians. My gran still uses the term "paki&#39;s" not because she is racist but because she is from a generation from which that kind of talk was accepted and encouraged.
I don&#39;t think people are gonna get any smarter and realise that beating up a black guy - who just HAPPENS to be in your country because your ancestors enslaved his ancestors and brought them to where you live - is gonna get you absolutely nowhere.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by Shamrock@Sep 9 2005, 03:49 PM
Red hair and freckles? Sounds like she has unknown celtic blood somewhere.
I have heard of this before. I think its due to some interaction between the Irish and the Spanish somewhere way back.
[post=341771]Quoted post[/post]​

Could well be. Her dad&#39;s family came from Spain. Her mother&#39;s from Yucatan.

SG

Dr. Bubbles

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by prepstudinsc@Sep 9 2005, 11:34 AM
BB-
I was referring more to black/white racism than anything else, and specifically from the viewpoint of living in the city.

However, don&#39;t you think that a lot of the anti-NA feelings come from the way that Lumbees are treated even from other Native Americans? I know people up here who are mixed white and cherokee make slams against the Lumbees. When questioned, they make off handed racist comments like white would make against blacks in the 50&#39;s, using some of the same terminology. I don&#39;t understand where these feelings of come from, when it&#39;s inter-Native American racism, but I guess it&#39;s no different than colorism within the black community (light skinned people looking down on dark skinned people) or in the white community (WASPs looking down on people of southern European heritage).
[post=341733]Quoted post[/post]​

You make a very valid point, Prep. Unfortunately, for Native Americans, we have succumbed to the dreads of imperialism and what the government defines as Indian and non-Indian. Likewise, we have filtered that philosophy to dictate the identities of peoples who belong to many different native groups, and thus negate peoples from embracing who they are - collectively.

I am Lumbee. There are lots of prejudices about our tribe - many based on ignorance. Tell me... how does a "group" collectively ban together and maintain cultural identity, practices, beliefs, and customs for centuries while continuously getting larger? We have over 58,000 people, which quite frankly scare the crap out of some of the other tribes. It is an issue of money and set-asides. Federal government bureaucracy has in many regards initiated an internal holocaust for American Indians within themselves. We&#39;ve survived one and now we are battling another... Sadly, we’ve allowed this disconnect to impede the ways we traditionally believe and behaved.

Not only is there internal racism across tribal barriers (state and federal tribes), but among other ethnicities within other groups, too. Racism is prevalent and thriving in America today. If people think otherwise, they need to remove the blinders off their eyes and taste the demise so many unfortunately live in.... It is scatted, dear… across many divides.

hippyscum

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Sep 9 2005, 09:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Sep 9 2005, 09:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>It is this that sickens me.  You would think that this wouldn&#39;t come as a surprise, but poor asylum seekers don&#39;t seem to be "enriching" Scotland as much as was expected. ;) [/b]

Who said anything about asylum seekers? All of the Asian people I know are here legally and have been for generations. And may I add they are extremely diligent workers, if the rest of this country could toss your viewpoint to the side and realise that and stop trying to find a reason to kick them out of this country, maybe everything would be just that little bit better.

Originally posted by hippyscum@Sep 9 2005, 03:54 PM
In Scotland, it&#39;s not the image of the "shop robbing black man" that people fear but Asians.
[post=341845]Quoted post[/post]​
They should.  I am sure you have heard about Kriss Donald.

That&#39;s the only case in years of a gang of Asians killing a white guy. And that one highly publicised case in no way compares to the dozens of race related Asian murders every year.

One of my best friends is a Sikh, and I&#39;ve been with him god knows how many times when some bastard comes over and tries to start a fight with him just cos he happens to have darker skin than he does.

<!--QuoteBegin-hippyscum
@Sep 9 2005, 03:54 PM
I don&#39;t think people are gonna get any smarter and realise that beating up a black guy - who just HAPPENS to be in your country because your ancestors enslaved his ancestors and brought them to where you live - is gonna get you absolutely nowhere.
[post=341845]Quoted post[/post]​
What should be said of illegal immigrants though?  Is it "inhumane" to protect the welfare of one&#39;s country? 

Should one stand by idly as one&#39;s sisters are raped, brothers are murdered, and property is stolen?
[post=341855]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

What about illegal immigrants? I&#39;ve only ever met one illegal immigrant - in London, and she was a prostitute and asked me if I wanted her "services" and I seriously doubt that she is harming the "welfare" of this country by doing that.

It seems that you&#39;re making mountains out of mole-hills by suggesting that Asian thugs kill well-to-do white guys every day in Scotland. In reality, in Strathclyde, which has the highest murder rate in Scotland, 35 people are murdered every year. Most of those are Celtic fans and Rangers fans killing each other because they disagree on which football team is the best. The reality is that in Scotland, it&#39;s not Asians you have to worry about it&#39;s Rangers fans beating you up cos they think you&#39;re a Catholic and Celtic fans beating you up cos they think you&#39;re a Protestant.

**And just for the record, I&#39;m terrible at all this quoting business as you can tell.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Sep 9 2005, 04:15 PM
Oh yeah, if you&#39;re in the hood, say hi to the people you pass on the street instead of clutching your purse, it has never failed me. I&#39;ve never been accosted and I spend a lot of time in poor neighborhoods.
[post=341832]Quoted post[/post]​

Even though I am black, I also have found (as an obvious middle-class person) that this works for me as well. I say: "hey" or "&#39;sup?" or I just giving a knowing nod. It&#39;s amazing how acknowledging people makes you accepted, even as a passer-by. Far too easy to simply be afraid and stay silent while clutching your purse.

I live in a suburb that is on the cusp between the city and the beginnings of redneckville. When I go to some of the bars in the "redder" areas, I am often the sole Black Guy in the bar. The amazing thing about this is that I am NEVER uncomfortable and a lot of the men/women there appear to be. Weird.

AMikkell

Just Browsing
Media
Oh, please...you&#39;re a 15 year old white guy. You&#39;ve never experienced racism like a black person has, or a native American, or an Asian. When you have experienced something of that magnitude, then I&#39;ll listen to you.

I&#39;m white and grew up on a reservation, there was plenty of racism. I used to dread going to school because some asshole was going to bully me for being white, and I couldn&#39;t do anything about it because many people believe this fallacy. I tried telling people about it but, not suprisingly, nothing got done. I think making a general assessment such as this is foolish.

i worked at a department store a long time ago when i was 20 or so, and remember a day when a black lady came up to the counter for me to ring up some merchandise. i was already waiting on a white woman. both were dressed very well. i&#39;d describe both of them as classy looking. the white woman looked at her, grabbed her purse, and pulled it in close, like she thought it would be stolen otherwise. there was zero reason for this.

That may not have been racially motivated. I know that when someone moves closer to me, I often pull my belongings closer to myself. It may be out of some fear of them taking it away from me, but it&#39;s not becuase they are a certain race, simply being human is enough to elicit this response.