Personal Information, Anonymity, and Security

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
.... If they do, you can run..

Well that took it to another level.

Here's another. Your link for abika could effectively gather a shitload of information from would be stalkers.

Curious though how far someone could carry a honey pot strategy. Could getting someone to stalk you actually be a technique to stalk them?

As far as the running goes. What would be the point? Don't run. Put up a security system, some ir bullet cameras, buy a 12 guage Mossberg and/or a .40/.45 caliber sig. and take advantage of state laws that allow you to protect yourself from criminal minds. It is the point of the constitution after all.:rolleyes:

Oh by the way people. I hope you use trash computers to surf trash sites (i.e. not talking about online banking here) cause people get you to click on the damndest things.:wink:

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
To the OP.

The one thing I've always thought about that only Google/Yahoo could probably do effectively is sell a service that takes your image(s) (say your face) and then compares them against images on the internet. Potential matches are send to you via email and you can determine if your images are being used illegaly. This would have some very effective use in the future when banks require a webcam to verify the identity of the customer for online transactions. These things will probably happen but I think the first idea mentioned will come about soon.:biggrin1:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Phone number/email address/house address/town/country would be too much information. Which is why I reveal none of that. I don't mind telling my name. It's what I'm called :tongue:

Nobody knows or could find out anything 'crucial' or 'revealing' about me. Except the few members who know a few more factoids about me. But I trust them not to stalk me or to divulge that information to other people.

Common sense and caution will serve you well. I think its really stupid to post your email address or phone number on here for all to see. It happens quite often too. Silly people.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Firstly, so far as I can see nobody said "anybody can find anything" in such an unqualified sense as I’m sure you well understood. Also, I don’t recall anyone saying it was easy. In your typical style you’re again seeking to twist what was written for some unclear motive, or perhaps sheer contrariness.
The motive is a desire to dispel paranoid BS. So how many ways, qualified or otherwise, can you read a statement like, "If you live in the USA, there's no such thing as privacy"? The statement is just plain hooie. There is such a thing as privacy, even for those of us in the USA. No, it's not absolute. Neither is the right to free speech, or the right to be secure in one's home or person. The fact that none of these things are absolute does not mean that they don't exist.

You can lose your privacy if you're careless. Write your social security number, charge card number, or bank account number on the outsides of a few envelopes, and see how long your privacy lasts. On the other hand, your privacy can be protected, and it's not that hard to do. You do not have to be terrified of giving out any information. Little bits of info here and there are generally harmless. Suppose I say that my avatar photo is indeed of me (which I have never before stated here, but let's postulate that it is) and that it is posted elsewhere on a site which has my real name in a copyright notice. So what? It could only be found by chance. I have supplied no information which would distinguish that one page with the photo from the billions of pages on the net. So how, exactly, have I compromised my privacy by posting the picture and stating some information? As a practical matter, the only way it would serve to identify me is if someone who already knew me wanted to verify that BD is indeed me. He might now have enough info to do so. That's the extent of my risk.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The motive is a desire to dispel paranoid BS.

A noble sentiment but the paranoid tend not to respond to a rational argument. In almost all cases such paranoia is exactly that, paranoia.

So how many ways, qualified or otherwise, can you read a statement like, "If you live in the USA, there's no such thing as privacy"? The statement is just plain hooie.

Well, firstly, I didn't write any such thing as "If you live in the USA, there's no such thing as privacy" - once again that's your fabrication, which at face value would be fairly described as hooie. Your presumption I was talking about the US is typical of your US centric view of the world, not mine. I don't have one. The issue raised here are far beyond such mere 'national' boundaries.

Second, there's no explict right to privacy that I'm aware of and what privacy exists does so only as far as an agent seeking to voliate it is willing to go. I did say privacy is an illusion because most people don't really know what they mean by it.

There is such a thing as privacy, even for those of us in the USA. No, it's not absolute. Neither is the right to free speech, or the right to be secure in one's home or person. The fact that none of these things are absolute does not mean that they don't exist.

The only person talking in absolutes here is you. But then that's your usual stance isn't it, when someone disagrees with you - resorting to arcane obfuscation.

You can lose your privacy if you're careless. Write your social security number, charge card number, or bank account number on the outsides of a few envelopes, and see how long your privacy lasts. On the other hand, your privacy can be protected, and it's not that hard to do. You do not have to be terrified of giving out any information. Little bits of info here and there are generally harmless.

Aside from stating the obvious, your point is.....?

Suppose I say that my avatar photo is indeed of me (which I have never before stated here, but let's postulate that it is) and that it is posted elsewhere on a site which has my real name in a copyright notice. So what? It could only be found by chance. I have supplied no information which would distinguish that one page with the photo from the billions of pages on the net. So how, exactly, have I compromised my privacy by posting the picture and stating some information? As a practical matter, the only way it would serve to identify me is if someone who already knew me wanted to verify that BD is indeed me. He might now have enough info to do so. That's the extent of my risk.

Where, exactly did I say you had compromised your privacy or anything else? Your capacity for making stuff up is getting better every day.

All I said was if someone has access to the right information, all of which is available to identify the person who did post such a photo it can be found, who it is wasn't the issue. The meaning of privacy is misunderstood by so many people, including you so it would seem. It's not about whether someone can find out who someone else is online, that's anonymity, and, very often quite easily got around.

Again, risk. Who said anything about risk? Only you. You are telling us about how you are at 'limited' risk when no-one said you were at any risk at all. The only 'risk' if you insist on using the word, is that someone may find out who you are without you wishing them to. That's not a breach of privacy, because your name isn't private by any sensible definition of the word, in the way your banking details are for example.

'Risk' relates to what someone does with that knowledge, not how they obtained it.

P.S.

While I enjoy the debate, I enjoy it better based on things I actually wrote, not things you would like people to think I wrote. That gets boring really fast.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well that took it to another level.

It's a tad overstated but the risk is real for the inprudent.

Here's another. Your link for abika could effectively gather a shitload of information from would be stalkers.

I have no idea, but such sites are common enough.

Curious though how far someone could carry a honey pot strategy. Could getting someone to stalk you actually be a technique to stalk them?

I imagine as far as either side was willing to go, obviously, I suppose it would depend on how sweet that honey was.:smile:

As far as the running goes. What would be the point? Don't run. Put up a security system, some ir bullet cameras, buy a 12 guage Mossberg and/or a .40/.45 caliber sig. and take advantage of state laws that allow you to protect yourself from criminal minds. It is the point of the constitution after all.:rolleyes:

Well, it was metaphorical rather than actual running I meant....

Oh by the way people. I hope you use trash computers to surf trash sites (i.e. not talking about online banking here) cause people get you to click on the damndest things.:wink:

Sage advice but I doubt it's a strategy followed by many. After all they have fudgewalls and anti fungus....no danger.:biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Again, as mentioned several times, it all boils down to common sense... and knowing and remembering what you are posting where.

Some of the "security features" being used by various websites are getting a little annoying, though.

Just last night, my partner decided he wanted to redeem some of the "points" he has accumulated on one of his credit cards. He created the account and password on the website; then when he tried to log in, one of the "security pages" popped up, asking for his mother's date of birth. There was no option to proceed without this information. Of course, he has never given his mother's date of birth, nor her maiden name, to the credit card company. They just want to database as much information as they can.

I've been called paranoid because of my unwillingness to give so much information to so many businesses. One of my banks recently sent me a letter informing me that due to some new security measures, they were requiring all account holders to add their mother's maiden name to the account information. "You will not be able to access your account if you do not provide this information." I wrote to them, told them I would use a password and PIN, but they would not get my mother's maiden name. They argued, but relented.

Especially with some of the NSA things that have gone on recently, I'm fairly certain that we are all "databased" in some form or fashion, and cross-referenced. I don't want to give them any more information than I absolutely have to. I don't have anything to hide, but I just don't like the idea of my library choices, airline itineraries, subway usage, financial transactions, and phone calls to be cross-referenced.

Anyone remember MrsDonnaGoldsteinOfNewYork? Do you think he was giving out too much personal information?:biggrin1:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A noble sentiment but the paranoid tend not to respond to a rational argument. In almost all cases such paranoia is exactly that, paranoia.
So what? They're welcome to their delusions. They're not welcome to foist them on others.
Well, firstly, I didn't write any such thing as "If you live in the USA, there's no such thing as privacy" - once again that's your fabrication, which at face value would be fairly described as hooie. Your presumption I was talking about the US is typical of your US centric view of the world, not mine. I don't have one. The issue raised here are far beyond such mere 'national' boundaries.
Not my fabrication at all. You said that nobody had said anything about a certain topic, I counterclaimed that somebody had done so, and provided the relevant quote. I didn't say who said it. The quote was from the post above mine; the post I originally dismissed as "hooie". You seem to think I'm attacking something else.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What would be the point? Don't run. Put up a security system, some ir bullet cameras, buy a 12 guage Mossberg and/or a .40/.45 caliber sig.
Hot tip on Mossbergs - they're good, well-thought-out designs, but they seem to have been made in the dark.

They're "takedown" guns, with separate barrels. When buying one, make sure the barrel(s) fit on the gun before leaving the store. Otherwise, it's back to the store, get another one, fill out a new Federal 4473, maybe a new call to NICS, blah blah.

Once you get one which fits together, it should work fine. The materials and such used in construction are perfectly adequate and the gun won't blow up on you.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just a minor addition: I'm sure most of you don't completely fill out any warranty registration cards...

Especially for low-cost items (such as a blender or toaster), just throw those away. For the larger purchases (such as a refrigerator or riding lawnmower), give just minimal information - your name and the serial number. Never fill out the demographic information they request, such as your household size, income, age, interests.

Oh, and big d, I have a bone to pick with you. On your Tractor Repair Forum, you advised me to add a nitro injection system to my new John Deere 4320 tractor, to boost the horsepower up from 48 HP to about 80 HP. BAD advice! My intention was to speed up the job of mowing my lawn, not to mulch the neighbor's prize rose garden and their gazebo.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So what? They're welcome to their delusions. They're not welcome to foist them on others.

No more than applies to your own views, or mine.

Not my fabrication at all. You said that nobody had said anything about a certain topic, I counterclaimed that somebody had done so, and provided the relevant quote. I didn't say who said it. The quote was from the post above mine; the post I originally dismissed as "hooie". You seem to think I'm attacking something else.

Well, when you cite my comments and address a comment to me as you did it's hard to draw any other inference other that it was intended to suggest exactly that. I missed it in Chico's comments, it would have helped (me) a little if you had addressed your comments to him, rather than me.

It's akin to having a discussion and disputing with person A about a comment made by B. Hardly an aid to effective communication, is it?

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, when you cite my comments and address a comment to me as you did it's hard to draw any other inference other that it was intended to suggest exactly that. I missed it in Chico's comments, it would have helped (me) a little if you had addressed your comments to him, rather than me.
I didn't address them to you. I used the quote box with Chico8's comments in it to make that clear. I can't make it much clearer than that. You then attacked my comments about Chico8's post. I had not at that point addressed any of your posts at all. I answered your attack with reference to Chico8's post, as my points referred to nothing else and can't fairly be interpreted in terms of some other post which I don't even recall reading.

You seem to leap to quite a few assumptions - not for the first time here at LPSG. That's a behavioral glitch of yours. There's little that I can be expected to do about it.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I didn't address them to you. I used the quote box with Chico8's comments in it to make that clear. I can't make it much clearer than that. You then attacked my comments about Chico8's post. I had not at that point addressed any of your posts at all. I answered your attack with reference to Chico8's post, as my points referred to nothing else and can't fairly be interpreted in terms of some other post which I don't even recall reading.

Huh.?..look at post 44 and see what I mean. If your comments were addressing Chico's post why cite an extract from one of my posts and then wade in about what Chico said? Why not cite his comments and address you reply to him, not me, which is what you did, even if unintentionally, that's why I was surprised and responded as I did.

This was backed up by your remark about "Anybody can find anything" was (as I read it) relating to earlier comments made by me, (and MB) to the effect that under the right conditions that can be true, you appeared to suggest it was a blanket, unconditional statement which it clearly wasn't. I was curt in post #40 because it's not the first time, by any stretch you have done that, and after post #44 I couldn't care less. As for your last sentence, I have no idea what that's about.

Interesting, I note how when you disagree with and make sarcastic comments ("What a load" for example) about something or someone (which is frequently your MO) it's not an attack, yet when others disagree with you, in similar vein, it is. Quite amusing.

You seem to leap to quite a few assumptions - not for the first time here at LPSG. That's a behavioral glitch of yours. There's little that I can be expected to do about it.

I think we're all guilty of that, and you are no exception.:rolleyes:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hot tip on Mossbergs - they're good, well-thought-out designs, but they seem to have been made in the dark.

They're "takedown" guns, with separate barrels. When buying one, make sure the barrel(s) fit on the gun before leaving the store. Otherwise, it's back to the store, get another one, fill out a new Federal 4473, maybe a new call to NICS, blah blah.

Once you get one which fits together, it should work fine. The materials and such used in construction are perfectly adequate and the gun won't blow up on you.

I know how to find you anyway, you'll be the one in that log cabin the in woods full of so much artillery you could blow up half of Wisconsin, right?
Don't worry baby, I like a well-armed man in boots in the shower.

I don't care much about the illusion of privacy. My first name, Jana, was outed by a former member here years ago, so I never had the option of not being known. Happily, I move so much and change numbers so frequently that it would take a team of fbi experts most of their careers to find me anyway. I don't have a bank account, so no one would bother to try to rob me, and I have absolutely noting of monetary value in real life either. A poor prospect. Bad credit, no money, no reason to try.

To those of you who have my phone number, it no longer works. If you already have it though, I will give you the new one when I get one- I still love ya. Oh, and I'm in Chicago now. That's right- Jana in chicago- good luck finding me on that.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm, so many pissing contests, so little time....
I guess I will have to lock big dirigible, dong20, arliss, and alex8 in a 4X4 room until the noise stops... then we will have these issues settled, once and for all!
To those of you who have my phone number, it no longer works. If you already have it though, I will give you the new one when I get one- I still love ya. Oh, and I'm in Chicago now. That's right- Jana in chicago- good luck finding me on that.
Um, I happen to know that you are Jana, the Cunt-Breathing Dragon in Chicago. It'll be a breeze to track you down.
(I missed you, sweetheart!)

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Huh.?..look at post 44 and see what I mean. If your comments were addressing Chico's post why cite an extract from one of my posts and then wade in about what Chico said? Why not cite his comments and address you reply to him, not me, which is what you did, even if unintentionally, that's why I was surprised and responded as I did.
Well, you got it wrong.
This was backed up by your remark about "Anybody can find anything" was (as I read it) relating to earlier comments made by me, (and MB) to the effect that under the right conditions that can be true, you appeared to suggest it was a blanket, unconditional statement which it clearly wasn't. I was curt in post #40 because it's not the first time, by any stretch you have done that, and after post #44 I couldn't care less.
Apparently not so.
Interesting, I note how when you disagree with and make sarcastic comments ("What a load" for example) about something or someone (which is frequently your MO) it's not an attack, yet when others disagree with you, in similar vein, it is. Quite amusing.
There you go, getting it wrong again. "What a load" wasn't sarcastic. It was a load - within the usual constraints of English, as of course it wasn't literally a load of anything; it's a common expression - and I presented a perfectly good argument to show why.

I don't recall saying that an attack wasn't. I attack things all the time, and need not apologize for doing so.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know how to find you anyway, you'll be the one in that log cabin the in woods full of so much artillery you could blow up half of Wisconsin, right?
Don't worry baby, I like a well-armed man in boots in the shower.
Actually, Fort Dirigible is in the suburbs, and is made of concrete, painted a scenic Baltic-dreadnought-camouflage gray. I'm afraid it's just a cube, very much like a big alphabet block but without the letters on the sides. BORing. A Vauban layout would be cool, though it would stand out a bit when seen from the air - so much for privacy.

And the armory has no actual artillery, although at one time I was looking into acquiring a culverin or two salvaged out of 16th century Portuguese wrecks in various river estuaries in Asia. Fortunately, perhaps, I ran out of money before anything like that actually happened.
To those of you who have my phone number, it no longer works.
Well, fudge. So much for giving my new 'phone a demolition-derby workout.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, Fort Dirigible is in the suburbs, and is made of concrete, painted a scenic Baltic-dreadnought-camouflage gray. I'm afraid it's just a cube, very much like a big alphabet block but without the letters on the sides. BORing. A Vauban layout would be cool, though it would stand out a bit when seen from the air - so much for privacy.

Well, fuck on a stick! Here I was having all this fun envisioning you as a real log cabin republican, another fine fantasy scrapped to hell. Will you at least wear your boots in the shower for me?

And the armory has no actual artillery, although at one time I was looking into acquiring a culverin or two salvaged out of 16th century Portuguese wrecks in various river estuaries in Asia. Fortunately, perhaps, I ran out of money before anything like that actually happened.

No, that's sad. Nothing better could have happened to those things than that they go to a collector who really appreciates them.

Well, fudge. So much for giving my new 'phone a demolition-derby workout.

Haha, I'm loser, but not a serious one. I'll have a new number within a week or so, so I'll forward it to you when it exists. I'm getting heart palpitations just thinking about it.