Personal sexual preferences are a private matter

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's non of my business, but can I ask two things

How does oral sex get to be prohibited by christianity?

When I had to read the "New Testament" I think I remember the Jesus guy saying "There are only two commandments, Love God and Love your neighbour". Surely that isn't too tough to live with.

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Lordpendragon said:

When I had to read the "New Testament" I think I remember the Jesus guy saying "There are only two commandments, Love God and Love your neighbour". Surely that isn't too tough to live with.

I agree completely. I think that the issue here seems to be what is prohibited by "Christianity" and what is prohibited by Christ himself... the seeming dilemna.

Some of the conservatives believe the sex is for procreation ONLY, and because oral sex wouldn't result in pregnancy it's "wrong". Kind of follows the same thought process as prohibitions on birth control. Sex to them is strictly functional.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
I think that you should abandon religion altogether like I have.

I never sin, no one frowns upon my sexuality because noone is particularly interested and I don't have to conform to anyone's expectations.
If I so desire I am free to pray to God.
You were born free, why would you want to become part of a flock and be cooped up in church?
I am only limited by the law.
I have no guilt and I am very happy, the religious people I know, have made comments on this happy aura that surrounds me, seems like it is rare in their religious communities.

Praise the lord for my freedom!!:smile:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
vinny_spiruccino said:
I agree completely. I think that the issue here seems to be what is prohibited by "Christianity" and what is prohibited by Christ himself... the seeming dilemna.

Some of the conservatives believe the sex is for procreation ONLY, and because oral sex wouldn't result in pregnancy it's "wrong". Kind of follows the same thought process as prohibitions on birth control. Sex to them is strictly functional.

But they have made this up, no? If the bible discussed the merits of oral sex, I would have paid more attention to it.

So logically, if you needed a blow job to get it up so that you could procreate, this would be OK?

I agree with you vinny, Jesus is cool, it's just the churh that sucks.

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Lordpendragon said:
But they have made this up, no? If the bible discussed the merits of oral sex, I would have paid more attention to it.

To some extent, but they've done so by taking certain passages (IMO) out of context. The command was given - "be fruitful & multiply" which to them means make lots of babies. My view is that there was a reason for it at the time it was said - "be fruitful & multiply, and replenish the earth". The earth has been replenished so I personally don't think it applies any longer.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
vinny_spiruccino said:
To some extent, but they've done so by taking certain passages (IMO) out of context. The command was given - "be fruitful & multiply" which to them means make lots of babies. My view is that there was a reason for it at the time it was said - "be fruitful & multiply, and replenish the earth". The earth has been replenished so I personally don't think it applies any longer.

Yeah, I think it's been overtaken by "Live long and prosper".

BarebackJack

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are a lot of good, sane comments on here regarding faith, religion, sexuality, and obligation. Modern day religion is a dog and pony show. Churches are little more than political entities that use talking points taken from the bible to exercise control over their followers. Sadly, true faith has taken a back seat to all the mumbo jumbo that comes out of the pulpit. It is up to us as individuals to learn to separate faith from religion, and return to faith, discarding the religion if necessary. Faith is the root connection to God. Religion is the set of human laws designed to govern faith, and thereby limit it and control what you believe faith and God to be.

Jesus himself said that we do not need temples to worship in... that the house of God is within us all. Since your church is apparently a hen house of pseudo-faithful who talk the talk but fail to walk the walk, you might consider following the faith in your heart over the ritual of going to Church. You don't need those people any more than they need you.

God made you as you are. He did not make you bisexual so he (or anyone else) could punish you or make you feel unworthy for not being straight. That's more of the damaging double-talk the Church is notorious for. If you know in your heart that you are sexually attracted to both sexes then that is what you are. Love yourself for it. Be joyous in the knowledge that God made you capable of loving a more complete range of people. Disavow all those who would tell you otherwise or hold double standards to you. They are not living their faith or their religion, and you should not have to be bound by their insecurities.

I could go on and on here... but I will say that Vinny is absolutely right. The reasons behind what the Church teaches ~ in fact, the entire reason for the bible's existence ~ is moot at this point in time. Homosexual behavior did threaten to limit the creation of life so necessary for the human species to continue in the era before medicine and technology. And the bible acted as a rudimentary science book when the world knew no science. We've evolved beyond that, and while some of the ten commandments are eternal laws for living in harmony, the bulk of religion should be tossed out. It's old hat.

Be YOU and love yourself for it! Remember, as Tammy Faye Bakker once said, "God don't make no junk."

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Well said BBJ... though there is a <unfortuneately slowly>growing contingency of Christians who reject the traditional anti-gay interpretations of the Bible, have reconciled their faith with it directly, and have concluded that the traditional "clobber passages" that seemingly denounce homosexuality don't actually denounce it at all...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
vinny_spiruccino said:
I gotta go technical on ya here, hot stuff. "believe" should have been "preach, but not practice", and "is" should be "should be, but is only in theory, not in practice". All of the above should be amended by the statement "when it applies to anyone but me".

vinny_spiruccino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
And one more tidbit for ya there DC - I apologetically admit that I've never looked at your profile before today. MAN, my mistake!

I'd gladly stand at attention for you Drill Sargeant. Sir - yes SIR!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
vinny_spiruccino said:
And one more tidbit for ya there DC - I apologetically admit that I've never looked at your profile before today. MAN, my mistake!

I'd gladly stand at attention for you Drill Sargeant. Sir - yes SIR!
Thank you, V. In the interest of honesty, that photo was not taken yesterday... but I don't look too terribly different even now. And yes, standing at attention is good, we can find other positions that may be more comfy and beneficial for everyone involved.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know that I have been on a bit of a trip recently, but Silver Soldier, I just need to say that I find it deeply deeply depressing that those who should be pastors of our souls have become tormentors of our souls. From this somewhat fucked up soul, I think you are a better man and better Christian than any of them.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
People wake up and just believe in God and forget all the beliefs of all these man-made " religions". Read some basic history about how christianity evolved as well with all the other major religions. I'm sure it would totally freak most of us out. There is no such thing as "scripture". All this gerble was written by human beings just like us. These people were not gods and are not saints. They were just like you and me. Only they had an agenda. Enter Constantine and the rest is dreadful history. After complete control over everything and everybody. Think about it!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hot-rod said:
People wake up and just believe in God and forget all the beliefs of all these man-made " religions". Read some basic history about how christianity evolved as well with all the other major religions. I'm sure it would totally freak most of us out. There is no such thing as "scripture". All this gerble was written by human beings just like us. These people were not gods and are not saints. They were just like you and me. Only they had an agenda. Enter Constantine and the rest is dreadful history. After complete control over everything and everybody. Think about it!
<in a hurt, squealing voice> But that requires us to think for ourselves. I just wanna think what Brotha Billy Bob tells me to think. Easier that way, plus I don't have to be responsible for my soul when it goes to hell.

SilverSoldier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lordpendragon said:

BINGO! That's the WHOLE point. If you live a love based life, all the other rules, commandments, laws and bullshit don't really matter, do they? If you really live a love based life, then you won't have a desire to fuck your neighbor's wife, (or boyfriend) or cow or what ever. And you won't really need to worry about laws in general because you're living in peace with everyone and everything around you.

People, THAT'S why I'm a Christian. The PRINCIPLES stand up to scrutiny and investigation. The Church is a a beareaucratic organization that has to protect itself in every way to survive. I could leave my church all right, but I've spent my life building it, working in a church-wide basis, not a congretational basis. So, there are some pretty big consequences by making my life all of this, as well as pretty big consequences for leaving. I've had to think through a lot of natural consequences of what it means to change your life, and I've done it. Quite frankly, I've done it better than most. I am at peace with my loved ones and those around me. However, because I work so much every day on church related things, the frustration does get to me.

I think there will be a day where I'll walk away and go another direction. However, I will NEVER associate myself with another "organization" of religion again. I'm done with that story. I will, however, pursue my beliefs and conviction in God with those who think similarly.

There are some great comments here, and I appreciate (as usual) your perceptiveness and interest.

I haven't been able to get to all the replies because of pressing issues all around, but I am interested and will read them all as quickly as I can.

Thanks, people. This is why I keep coming back here. Good folks here.

SilverSoldier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just a couple more quick thoughts:
First, there were a couple of "jerky" comments. But I didn't read very far past the first few words. No need to. I've read all that kind of crap before. Bottom line is I didn't write this post to be ridiculed more, I wrote it to vent a little and because I really am interested in what other intelligent thoughts are out there.

Second, chew on this just a bit: it's one thing to disassociate yourself from any organized religion, and still believe fervently in God. It's another to face him and when he asks "Do you have the keys?" and you stare blankly in his face say you don't know what he means. Remember, no one can deny that there really are certain keys in becoming a Christian. Like baptism, taking upon yourself the name of Christ, keeping commandments (which, as we have already been told by pendragon are superceded by love) and so forth. So, it's easy to THINK we can just walk away from a church, but in reality, a conviction based Christian will consider carefully the leap he/she is about to make before he/she does it. What, exactly, by leaving an organized church, are you TRULY leaving behind. It's not a particularly easy decision even IF you strip away your family tradition and upbringing.

Okay, that's all I can do for now.

Thanks for the great comments.