Pet Peeves

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Posts
54,500
Media
0
Likes
330
Points
283
Two right now:

1. Drivers who won't use turn signals because they're talking on the phone.

2. Christmas newsletters instead of simple cards. "We're so proud of our son, Junior, only 12 years old, who this year discovered a cure for cancer and his little sister, Hortense, who won a Clio for her performance in that famous Toys-R-Us commercial....." etc.
 

B_Danceswithlamps

Experimental Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Posts
505
Media
0
Likes
4
Points
163
Location
Traveling!
Sexuality
Unsure
Gender
Male
KinkGuy, that avatar of yours is loosing more and more fabric! :D

I would say rude drivers, rude people, when people don't listen/follow directions, and those square cinnamin buns... *shudder* :D:D:D
 

naughty

Sexy Member
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
11,231
Media
0
Likes
42
Points
258
Location
Workin' up a good pot of mad!
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gender
Female
1) Made up words that become part of the lexicon of the English language through political correctness: "Bling", "hater-ation",etc.
2)People who wear inappropriate clothing and then pretend they are offended when they receive the desired response from the wrong person.
3) People who speed up when they see you need to get into a lane to turn off .
4)People who straddle 2 lanes in a crowded parking lot because they dont want to get their car scratched.
5) People who ask for a small piece of dessert, but really mean California sized and are upset when they get a Rhode Island sized one instead.
6) People who use terms that they dont understand incorrectly because they heard it somewhere and thought it sounded nice in a sentence.
More later...
 

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Posts
10,059
Media
0
Likes
64
Points
183
Location
That twinge in your intestines
Bigots.

Liars and cheaters.

Rude drivers, especially:
1. Those who won't use turn signals.
2. Those who park in two spaces.
3. Speeders. Not the ones trying to make a few extra mph, the ones who do 55 in a 25 zone through a neighborhood with little kids, or the ones who get up to 70 so they can pass one car in city traffic before they reach the next stoplight. That type of behavior is beyond rude -- it's dangerous, and I perceive it as a threat when it happens near me.

The use of non-words, like "irregardless" and "alot".

Using the wrong homonym, i.e. "it's" instead of "its", "your" instead of "you're", "their" instead of "they're" or "there".

People who edit their fucking posts over and over.:eek:
 

TallHungLB

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Joined
May 10, 2004
Posts
237
Media
34
Likes
478
Points
393
Age
54
Location
Irvine, CA
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Gender
Male
HickBoy said:
The use of non-words, like "irregardless" and "alot<.>".

Using the wrong homonym, i.e. <e.g.,> "it's" instead of "its<,>", "your" instead of "you're<,>", "their" instead of "they're" or "there<.>".


Incorrect punctuation. <See corrections above>
The comma and period (,/.) go on the INSIDE of the quotation mark.

Knowing the difference between e.g., and i.e.
"E.g.," is for the Latin exempli gratia, "for example."
"I.e.," is for the Latin id est, "that is."
They're not interchangeable. Both abbreviations should be followed by a comma.

I do agree with your point though Hickboy.
it's - contraction of "it is"
its - possesive pronoun

their - belonging to them
there - a place
they're - contraction of "they are"

your - belonging to you
you're - contraction of "you are"
yore - the past
 

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Posts
10,059
Media
0
Likes
64
Points
183
Location
That twinge in your intestines
TallHungLB said:
Incorrect punctuation. <See corrections above>
The comma and period (,/.) go on the INSIDE of the quotation mark.

Knowing the difference between e.g., and i.e.
"E.g.," is for the Latin exempli gratia, "for example."
"I.e.," is for the Latin id est, "that is."
They're not interchangeable. Both abbreviations should be followed by a comma.

I do agree with your point though Hickboy.
it's - contraction of "it is"
its - possesive pronoun

their - belonging to them
there - a place
they're - contraction of "they are"

your - belonging to you
you're - contraction of "you are"
yore - the past

Thanks alot, irregardless of my prior errors. :D
 

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2002
Posts
4,941
Media
0
Likes
118
Points
268
Age
46
Location
Louisiana
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Gender
Male
My pet peeves concerning grammar, spelling and punctuation are pretty well known. Most especially the use of 'at' to end any sentence containing the word 'where', e.g., "Tell me where it's at." What's so difficult about, "Tell me where it is"? And misspelling 'definitely': there is no 'a' in the word!

Apart from linguistic irritants, how about that person with about 276 items in his cart trying to use the express lane. "I'm in a hurry!" Yeah ... like I'm not. I'm thinking, "You're in a hurry, yet you took the time to go through the store like you're stockpiling for the apocalypse!" And, of course, the sign reads 12 ITEMS OR LESS, and that irritates me on linguistic grounds.
 

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Posts
7,297
Media
0
Likes
1,964
Points
583
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gender
Male
Pecker said:
1. Drivers who won't use turn signals because they're talking on the phone.
When I lived in Atlanta, they used to say if you saw a car with the turn signal on, it means it came that way when they bought it.

Pet peeve: guys who piss on public toilet seats. I would support the death penalty.
 

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Joined
May 18, 2004
Posts
17,118
Media
453
Likes
22,022
Points
568
Location
Charlotte, NC, USA
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Gender
Male
TallHungLB said:
Incorrect punctuation. <See corrections above>
The comma and period (,/.) go on the INSIDE of the quotation mark.

I was taught that the punctuation go inside the comma, but I read or heard somewhere (I don't remember where now), that it is now acceptable for it to be used in either place. Could it be the difference between British and American usage, or is it the American acceptance of sloppiness, slobbishness, and the haphazard approach to many things we do that has let it become standard practice?
 

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2002
Posts
4,941
Media
0
Likes
118
Points
268
Age
46
Location
Louisiana
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Gender
Male
prepstudinsc said:
I was taught that the punctuation go inside the comma, but I read or heard somewhere (I don't remember where now), that it is now acceptable for it to be used in either place. Could it be the difference between British and American usage, or is it the American acceptance of sloppiness, slobbishness, and the haphazard approach to many things we do that has let it become standard practice?

In American usage, it is always acceptable to place the punctuation marks inside of the quotation mark. In standard British usage, the punctation marks are placed inside of the quotation marks if they are part of actual quoted material. HickBoy's use of the period after the quotation mark ("alot".) is consistent with British usage.
 

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Posts
6,672
Media
10
Likes
16,166
Points
743
Location
Massachusetts (United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gender
Male
DoubleMeatWhopper said:
Apart from linguistic irritants, how about that person with about 276 items in his cart trying to use the express lane. "I'm in a hurry!" Yeah ... like I'm not. I'm thinking, "You're in a hurry, yet you took the time to go through the store like you're stockpiling for the apocalypse!" And, of course, the sign reads 12 ITEMS OR LESS, and that irritates me on linguistic grounds.
This week, somebody got in the express line behind me and the cashier noticed right away she had way too many items. The cashier politely told her she was in the wrong lane. The woman just took back the few items she had put on the belt, and moved on to another register. Sometimes things do go right!

My own pet peeves do include spelling and word usage, especially in email and Word documents. There is no excuse when the program has a spell-checker built in. Use it! On the other hand, I have made many mistakes here and in other places, but I'm not going to copy/paste and spell check everything I type, if the feature isn't available right on the site itself.
 

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Posts
168
Media
0
Likes
6
Points
163
Age
34
Location
Denver, CO
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gender
Female
Lesseee....
1. People who actually answer their cell phone during a movie, and have a 10-minute conversation.
2. People who talk during a movie.
3. People who bring babies to a movie
4. People who bring 4-year olds to see movies like The Matrix then get upset when they're asked to leave because their brat is running up and down the aisle screaming.
5. People who bring Taco Bell into a movie and try their hardest to make as much noise as possible when wrapping and unwrapping their food.
6. People who eat loudly during a movie (i.e. hi... close your mouth when eating popcorn... kthx.)
7. Kids who kick the back of my seat at the movie theater
8. Ushers who apparently are required to walk through the theater with that bright flashlight-glow-mini-lightsaber thingy. (Distracting!)
9. Movie-nitpickers who hate everything they see.
10. Historical nerds who decidedly hate a movie because it didn't follow the EXACT STORY of x_historical figure and by GOD they'd go straight to nerd-hell if they admitted they kind of liked Braveheart. (even just a little)

Ok, that's it for now.
 

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Posts
7,297
Media
0
Likes
1,964
Points
583
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gender
Male
MsLulu said:
Lesseee....
1. People who actually answer their cell phone during a movie, and have a 10-minute conversation.
2. People who talk during a movie.
3. People who bring babies to a movie
4. People who bring 4-year olds to see movies like The Matrix then get upset when they're asked to leave because their brat is running up and down the aisle screaming.
5. People who bring Taco Bell into a movie and try their hardest to make as much noise as possible when wrapping and unwrapping their food.
6. People who eat loudly during a movie (i.e. hi... close your mouth when eating popcorn... kthx.)
7. Kids who kick the back of my seat at the movie theater
8. Ushers who apparently are required to walk through the theater with that bright flashlight-glow-mini-lightsaber thingy. (Distracting!)
9. Movie-nitpickers who hate everything they see.
10. Historical nerds who decidedly hate a movie because it didn't follow the EXACT STORY of x_historical figure and by GOD they'd go straight to nerd-hell if they admitted they kind of liked Braveheart. (even just a little)

Ok, that's it for now.
You haven't been to the movies recently, have you?