Peterson Trial finally over

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

Seeking_SuperHung: Well, the dude's been sentenced to Death, and the judge'll probably uphold it.

Compulsory appeals aside, any of you paid as much attention to this case as the media would have us believe? Agree/disagree? Don't care?

2. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I don't care in the least. Actually that's not exactly true. His guilty verdict means that we won't be subjected to quite as many tabloid headlines in the next few years, since he won't be out and about. From the very beginning I hated that this was such a media sensation. If it had been a black man who killed his black wife, no one would have cared at all. But a cute, white, pregnant woman? An outrage!

The true irony is that, because the appeals process for executions takes so long in California, he might live longer than if he'd gotten a life sentence and was just beaten to death by another inmate. I predict he'll be executed sometime around 2015.

3. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Or, had he murdered his gay lover? media snoooooooooze-fest.

4. Imported

Gold Member

Seeking_SuperHung:
    ...we may yet see a case for that made-- cept it'll be the other way around :p

5. KinkGuy

Gold Member

...we may yet see a case for that made-- cept it'll be the other way around :p
    [post=267273]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    THAT, is fuckin' brilliant!

6. Imported

Gold Member

Seeking_SuperHung:
    It's also possible, if not probable.... which is what's really f^cked up about it :( ;)

7. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I think that in a case like this, life in prison is really the better sentence so he can sit and think about what he did every day for the rest of his life...that is punishment.

I have a very close relative who works in the justice system in San Mateo County, and has had to interview Scott Peterson and work with him while he's been in the jail there. She says that he's quite different from the regular prison population, and the kind of person that you would ordinarily be friends with, if he wasn't in jail for murder. She said in all her dealings with him, that he's been very pleasant and that he's a regular upper-middle class white guy, and that he reminded her of me. I was quick to say that I haven't murdered anyone!!!

She agrees that life would be a better penalty so he would have to think about his crime and be reminded of his actions--death is an easy out.

8. Imported

Gold Member

Seeking_SuperHung:
    The irony being, he&#39;s more likely to die on his own (via suicide/homicide/age) than be executed by the state of California.... they ain&#39;t no Texas <_<

9. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I don&#39;t care what color he is. I was outraged simply b/c his wife was pregnant, and especially so far along in the pregnancy. It takes a sick person to take someone&#39;s life like that and an even sicker person to kill a baby. It hit me too hard b/c my own son was born at that same time in my pregnancy that Laci was in hers and he lived to be a perfectly healthy (and adorable ^_^ ) boy with no major problems whatsoever.

I didn&#39;t watch much of the case on TV (seems I&#39;m usually tuned in to Noggin or Disney these days) so I don&#39;t have a solid opinion on whether I think he&#39;s guilty or not, but from what I have caught in the media every now and then, I lean toward the guilty verdict. - That&#39;s just my take on the whole thing.

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, I&#39;m glad that crimes against women are finally being seen as outrageous. I want him to get the death penalty to make a statement that our society simply will not tolerate this sick obsessive shit. For too long we have known about the "stalker boyfriend" and "controlling husband" and done nothing about it. Maybe we can&#39;t fix the problem with the tools we currently have available to us, but we can sure as hell legislate in support of the victims, and harshly. Yeah, she was cute and white, but you have to start somewhere.

By the way, if you know of something like this going on in real life, get involved- call the police often&#33; These freaks get away with their abhorrent behavior because we are all so complacent.

11. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

This is likely to be an unpopular opinion, but that&#39;s hardly surprising, coming from me. First off, I want to make this perfectly clear: I think he&#39;s guilty. However, I feel that the evidence was largely circumstantial. Many have been acquitted who had stronger evidence against them, and I don&#39;t only mean O.J. Had I been on the jury, I would&#39;ve have a difficult time determining him to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence regardless of what my gut told me. I couldn&#39;t have served on the jury anyway; I don&#39;t agree with capital punishment in principle. I feel that no one has the right to decide whether another human being will live or die. The defendant didn&#39;t have that right, but neither does a juror or judge regardless of having the law on his side.

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I support capital punishment but I&#39;d be willing to see it outlawed if, when the sentence of "life without the possibility of parole" is imposed, that no one is ever able to change that sentence.

Can you imagine Scott Peterson, having received a life w/o parole sentence, in 2020, finds a bleeding heart judge to agree that he has been &#39;rehabilitated?&#39; He was not sentenced until he&#39;s a better person - he was sentenced to life.

In the meantime execution will not even take place for a good 20 years while lawyers milk the system for as many &#036; as they can in Peterson&#39;s name - but at least for now it&#39;s "life without the possibility of living."

13. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I support capital punishment too. The way I see it, the murderer made that decision when he took the life of someone else. If you don&#39;t want to be executed, don&#39;t kill anyone.

Hey....gotta stay true to my Texas roots. :rolleyes:

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

I&#39;m a hideous vacillator on this one. I actually believe in the idea of capital punishment more than the actuality of it. If our courts were more concerned with the truth than political influence, I&#39;d be all for it. Like Texass said, if you don&#39;t want to die, don&#39;t kill, rape or molest someone- it&#39;s pretty easy not to do those things. But in reality, many people have been put to death on circumstantial evidence (mostly black men), when later it was determined that they were not guilty, which is abhorrent. So then I also agree with Pecker that life without possibility of release or more appeals seems like a good solution, and we can just hope someone inside will do the bastard in.

The amount of times people who do these things repeatedly when they do get out gives me no heartache over condemning them to death, it&#39;s a simple matter of who do you care more about- the criminal who seeks to harm others, or the innocents he will surely victimize if he ever gets out? Right now we have no way of assuring that someone in the future won&#39;t take pity on him, so I hope the penalty sticks.

15. jonb

Gold Member

That&#39;s why they stopped capital punishment in the 70s. Whether or not you get it depends solely on which lawyer you can afford.

Of course, it&#39;s people like Peterson, who beat on and even kill women and children . . . Those are the people I like to corner in a back alley and shove an icepick in their nose. Hammer it until you hear a crunch, then go about an inch farther. They&#39;ll never harm anyone again.

16. madame_zora

Gold Member

Jonb, your violent streak is turning me on&#33;

17. jonb

Gold Member

Damaging their temporal lobes is fun.

18. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Bluntly put: They hooked him, booked him, and now they&#39;re getting set to cook him&#33;

Good for the bastard&#33; He&#39;d better pray that one of his "fellow inmates" at Rikers does him the courtesy of whacking him before the state can.

You kill someone with depravity and without mercy, don&#39;t be so ignorant to think that reciprocation isn&#39;t coming your way.

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

Why so sublte, Massive? Just come right out and say what you really feel, lol.
    In this particular case, I couldn&#39;t agree more.

Draft saved Draft deleted