philosophy anyone?

da_blissmachine: Let's make a more enlightened corner of the board..... anyone want to philosophize?

7x6andchg: About.....?

The Meaning of Life?

Sure - I believe the meaning of life is nothing but loving your fellow man. What goes around comes around.

And life never gives you more than you can handle.

(What? You were looking for Kant? :D )

7x6&C

AnonyMs: Paul: I love ya, babe, but I have got to disagree with the whole life will not give you more than you can handle train of thought.

I have seen people given more than they could handle.

7x6andchg: But...Nony....to respectfully disagree....it may have SEEMED like more than they could handle...and perhaps it is more than they can handle ALONE.

My point being that the two are intertwined...sometimes life wants to try and force you to connect with your fellow man. Those who don't might be in a world of hurt.

7x6andchg: I once proved that Hell didn't exist...of course this was at a Catholic college, so THAT didn't go over well.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anyone who has lived in northern Louisiana, near the Arkansas border, couldn't possibly doubt the existence of Hell. (That is not to say that that region is Hell; it's more like Purgatory. But the inhabitants have to cling to the belief that somewhere there is someplace worse!)

da_blissmachine: Yes, I got in trouble even in public schools when I claimed that there was no such thing as evil.

Love and service of humanity is the core of the meaning of life, though I wonder if it is the entire thing.

7x6andchg: Well but if it isn't everything - then what does flesh it out? I'd be interested to hear others opinions on that....

7x6&C

7x6andchg: You said it was the core - what's the rest? What is your interpretation of the rest?

awellhungboi: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=99;num=1065579318;start=0#8 date=10/07/03 at 20:27:58]Well but if it isn't everything - then what does flesh it out?  I'd be interested to hear others opinions on that....

7x6&C[/quote]

For me the answer to that is found in the answer to the old Zen Koan, "Who is the Buddha who makes the grass green?"

Or as Freddy Nietszche put it: "We are all greater artists than we realize."

rainfletcher:
And life never gives you more than you can handle.

Sometimes I feel like this board's resident pessimist, but I have to agree with Nony on this one (with all due respect to those who disagree), with one caveat.

Some people literally die from what they've been doled out in life, and for them I would say life indeed gave them more than can they could handle...

Other times, you survive, but your not necessarily the same, or a better person afterwards, right? You may be more cynical or pessimistic. You may be less trusting, etc. etc. etc. Again, you may have survived it, but few would say you 'handled it'.

This is actually something that's fascinated me for decades --- 2 people with the exact same circumstances, one of them perseveres and the other crumples up. What is it about a persons personality that allows them to come through things alright and other not to? Hmmm.....

In any event, often times, life stretches us and we become a stronger, better person for having survived an ordeal...but the word 'never' doesn't apply, IMHO.

steps off soap box as vegetables bounce off his head

Tender: [quote author=rain link=board=99;num=1065579318;start=0#12 date=10/07/03 at 22:47:05]

Sometimes I feel like this board's resident pessimist, but steps off soap box as vegetables bounce off his head[/quote]

no rain, *I* am the board pessimist :p

and with Paul,

i have to very strongly disagree.

i have seen plenty of folks given more than their share for seemingly no reason and well quite frankly im doing a lousy job handling it ... :'(

throb919: [quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1065579318;start=0#4 date=10/07/03 at 19:20:30]I got an A+ in philosophy in college; I proved my professor didn't exist.[/quote]
Jacinto--were you channeling Pecker when you typed that...?! ;-)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=throb919 link=board=99;num=1065579318;start=0#14 date=10/08/03 at 08:35:27]
Jacinto--were you channeling Pecker when you typed that...?!  ;-)[/quote]

As the winner of last month's Finedessert Award (the Grandpa), I'd like to think that I might have been channeling Bob. I miss him and think about him often.

Javierdude22: The meaning of life, yeah, if sombody knows, let me know!!! Id like to know as well..:)

Maybe it´s all a test to see what were made of...and there´s a reward to await us if we do well here...yeah, in sum I think that might be the meaning of life...and to have some (sensible) fun of course...

And no...I have to agree with Nony...I don´t think we all get what we can handle...some people get their share of unbearable stuff...

7x6andchg: But then, by virtue of the fact that they crumple, and their life is over...by whatever means...doesn't that mean they got what they could handle in their life?

Not to sound pessimistic or to make it sound like every deserves everything they get - not at all - but if your reaction to adversity is such that you "curl up and die" then by definition your life, such as it is, is over, no?

I guess I just see it more as a testament to our increasing unwillingness to reach out to our fellow man - both to offer and/or ask for help.

7x6&C

Tender: Paul,
i have to say,
i still dont understand what you are meaning there?

could you explain it differently for me?
:-*
Tender

7x6andchg: In other words, what I am saying is this:

Life gives you no more than what you can handle...if you can't handle it, and throw in the towel on life, then you've been given what you can handle and you've called it quits.

Often, as I lamented, without reaching out for help...we're becoming an increasingly isolationist and individualistic society...

7x6&C