Photgraphy

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by WildHoney, Aug 8, 2007.

1. WildHoney

Gold Member

Hi guys,

This is for the Photographers out there.

I am an amateur photgrapher ( mostly kids and families so wont post links to my pics) - I shoot with an SLR digital cannon cameras ( which i love and use)

I want to learn how to use Adobe photoshop now. I am used to editing photo's with other programs , but never on a semi professiona scale.

anyway.....my dilemea is this.

Should I do a course through a tafe ( umm college? in USA) - The courses are mostly 20/1 and are over 6 months ,once a week, 2 hours at a time - me being impatient, I want to speed the process up a bit.

Do you think i could learn all I need to learn through hiring someone who was competant in adobe photshop , to teach me privately?

I was thinking of advertising for someone locally to come over for maybe 5 hours a week and teach me. Would 30 dollars an hour be enough? Do you think there are enough people around that know that program really well for me to get much of a response from that?

Thanks
    xx
    Honey

2. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

If you can be reasonably sure that you've found someone good, I think that would be a very good plan.
    Perhaps you could inquire at a local photography school, if there's one in your town.
    There's always a few students who are exceptionally quick to master these things, and they generally can use some extra money.
    I would think 30 dollars an hour would be if anything generous.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I'm no computer expert but there are plenty of online free tutorials for Photoshop, if I were you I'd have a look through those before deciding if you actually need tutoring. I think it would depend on what level you wanted to use Photoshop to, adding different backgrounds and layers (although I've never done it I'm planning on doing so) actually seems to be fairly easy for someone with a clue (which isn't me incidentally).

4. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I learned photoshop by teaching myself with a book years ago. $30 an hour is pretty good for a private teacher... whether or not they have those available in Brisbane I do not know... but your looks should make any geek wanna spend time with you huddled close to a computer! lol!! There are also video tutorials that are an excellent way of learning. There is definitely the school route with some programs even offering Adobe Photoshop certification, those are more expensive but will offer you some actual prestige along with your knowledge. I am a photoshop whiz, here's a pic I did last night of my friend Tiffany that was on the Rock Of Love on VH1. I would be glad to walk you through anything you are interested in knowing... if I was in Australia, I would teach you for free! lol!!!!

Attached Files:

5. WildHoney

Gold Member

Thanks for the replies.

i am not sure whats up with me lately, I can't seem to make a decision if my life depended on it..and I am usually very impulsive.

I think I will advertise for someone in the local paper. I think i would learn really quickly off a geeky ( said very fondly as I am semi geeky myself) young guy who is a computer and adobe wiz yet not a " qualified" teacher.

I can lack self disapline so teaching myself or online tutoring is just not good for me...I goof off :)

x

Honey

6. snoozan

Gold Member

I'd get your hands on some books and magazines, sit down, and play.

I took a year of digital photo in college (which included Photoshop instruction) and the best way to learn is by logging hours on the computer. Scott Kelby is an American author whose Photoshop instructional books are first rate.

If I were you, I'd spend money on a class to make your photography better, not to learn Photoshop. The goal we all have as photographers is to make our photos such that we don't have to rely on Photoshop to make bad photographs good, but to make good photographs better. A lot of people, especially people just starting out (me included back in college), put the cart before the horse and don't want to spend the time learning what makes a truly good photograph-- how light works, the ins and outs of the camera, using flash and other supplemental lights, etc.

I have a colleague who has been shooting film for 30 years and is appalled at her current crop of interns who are Photoshop whizzes but don't know simple things like how reciprocity (f-stop and shutter speed relationship) works and why it's important. If you can't quickly and off the top of your head open the lens up two stops and maintain the same exposure with the shutter speed, that's where you need to invest your time and money.

Obviously, I don't know your skill level, but I'm posting based on my experience of studying and working in this field for pretty much my entire adult life, and seeing the transition from film to digital happen as a student and as a professional. I've seen the quality of photography coming from pros and sem-pros disintegrate with the advent of digital because there are too many shortcuts you can take.

7. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    David Bailey said something similar to this in a BBC interview.
    He was looking downcast as he said "Now everybody thinks they can be a photographer",then he grinned and said "They're right, ANYBODY can do it! Get a camera and off you go!".

8. WildHoney

Gold Member

Snoozan- Thanks for your comments :)

I appreaciate the time and talent it takes to be a professional photographer and always appreciate great work.

I am however just a hobbist and it is a thing I do for my family and friends. I do not wish to spend years doing courses, learning film photography and such.

I did a course on how to use my slr camera properly and can use it quite well. I guess I am at the level that suits me for what I do :)

I now wish to be able to maniplulate the images . I think great photoshop is an amazing talent in itself. I actually am a little more interested in the graphic design/photohop area than the actual photography, althought both are very relaxing and stimulating to me.

xx
    Honey

Draft saved Draft deleted