Physalis Franchetti

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BirdinMo, Feb 22, 2009.

1. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    So today I started some Physalis Franchetti seed's indoors. I know they are a perennial, take 20-30 days to germinate, 60-90 days to bloom, like full sun, space them 18" apart and get to about 24" high. But I have yet to find any bug problems they might have. I know it's an odd place to ask but I am asking it on every site I belong to. Anyone know of any risk's?
    Also if you do not know what Physalis Franchetti is it is a "Chinese Lantern" plant.
    Thank's in advance.

2. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Physalis is one of the solanacae. Members of the family solanacae rarely have insect issues since they are heavily loaded with toxic chemicals. You might experience issues with spider mites or aphids, but it's unlikely. If you happen to set the plants outdoors at any time, you are likely to pick up some tomato hornworms. They'll eat almost any member of solanacae, and absorb the poisons so that they themselves become poisonous. Tomatoe hornworms are catterpillars, and they're fucking huge, so you'll them if you have them. Spider mites are hard to see (they're tiny) but you'll see the webs (yes, webs, hence "spider") they make on the underside of the leaves. I assume you know what an aphid looks like (the most common household plant bug of all time). Good luck!

3. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    Yeah I know what those little monkeys look like. Thanks for the information joyboytoy79

Draft saved Draft deleted