Pineapple on Pizza: Yummy goodness or or foul torture

Pine aplle on pizza: Where do you fall on the great divide?

• Best topping ever! I routinely add it, regardless of what the other toppings are

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Great, but on Hawaiian style pizza only.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • It's OK. Not my favorite, but i won't turn it down.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Could care less: pizza is pizza.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Really don't like it, but if it was all there was, I could choke it down...

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Pineapple has its place...just not on pizza.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • Pineapple is evil. Period. I don't even think it should be listed as a food.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I am a freak. I like the juice but hate the texture; so I order it, but pick the pieces off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
BTW, anyone arguing for a "purist" approach to cuisine: are you serious?

The history of cuisine is nothing but an ever-changing, ever-expanding festival of exploration.

Yesterday's "Yuck!" is Tomorrow's "Tasty!"

Happens over and over. Rinse, repeat.

I realize sometimes some people are behind the curve. :wink:

Food Timeline: food history & vintage recipes

Well of course, but for all the successful experiments there are countless thousands of failures.

Besides, my personal preference for authenticity doesn't exclude innovation, it just means that I prefer that if someone calls something "pizza" it be at least comparable to the truly mind boggling food experience I'd have if I had pizza at Mateo's on the Via Tribunali in Naples.

If it doesn't sit somewhere on a scale which that experience sets then it's not Pizza IMO. In my experience "pizza" restaurants which put pineapple on their "pizza" produce something which may well be delicious to many people, but bears no relationship to Mateo's Pizza, and should in my opinion be called something else so that people expecting Pizza are fairly warned that in fact they aren't ordering Pizza but something completely different which should be judged according to its nearest culinary analogues.

For instance, Turkish "pizza" is called Lahmacun, it shares some basic features in common with Italian Pizza but is in many ways very different, but because I'm ordering Lahmacun and not Pizza I'm not going to be comparing it to Pizza but to other Lahmacun food experiences I may have had. I wont therefore be confounded by the dissimilarities, and possibly disappointed because I was expecting a Pizza experience when what I got was a Lahmacun experience.

Last edited:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well of course, but for all the successful experiments there are countless thousands of failures.

Besides, my personal preference for authenticity doesn't exclude innovation, it just means that I prefer that if someone calls something "pizza" it be at least comparable to the truly mind boggling food experience I'd have if I had pizza at Mateo's on the Via Tribunali in Naples.

If it doesn't sit somewhere on a scale which that experience sets then it's not Pizza IMO. In my experience "pizza" restaurants which put pineapple on their "pizza" produce something which may well be delicious to many people, but bears no relationship to Mateo's Pizza, and should in my opinion be called something else so that people expecting Pizza are fairly warned that in fact they aren't ordering Pizza but something completely different which should be judged according to its nearest culinary analogues.

For instance, Turkish "pizza" is called Lahmacun, it shares some basic features in common with Italian Pizza but is in many ways very different, but because I'm ordering Lahmacun and not Pizza I'm not going to be comparing it to Pizza but to other Lahmacun food experiences I may have had. I wont therefore be confounded by the dissimilarities, and possibly disappointed because I was expecting a Pizza experience when what I got was a Lahmacun experience.

Like I said, Food Snob!*

:tongue:

* One with whom I'd be delighted to dine anytime, anywhere. Especiclally since angel is picking up the tab.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Like I said, Food Snob!*

:tongue:

* One with whom I'd be delighted to dine anytime, anywhere. Especiclally since angel is picking up the tab.

I'm the same about British and Irish people calling Cadbury's style "chocolate" Chocolate. Cadbury's is delicious, and I love it, but the Belgians are right, considering how little cocoa solids it contains it isn't really the same thing as proper Chocolate. :tongue:

So it's not really about snobbery, it's about correct (and not misleading) labelling.

Last edited:

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: Oh come on, so if you ordered a Beer and you got a non-alcoholic Beer instead you wouldn't be disappointed/annoyed? :tongue:

I believe non-alcoholic beer can have up to .5% alcohol in it, at least in the states. :tongue:

For those that mentioned the mexican style pizza, I for one, love it, at least the kind I have had. It was soooo good. The sauce tasted like green verde sauce, with spiced beef, green peppers, yummy cheese, and even broken up tortilla chips on it, maybe some corn too. Yum.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Excellent Pizza Recipe

1. Take one perfectly ripe pineapple.
2. Cut off the top.
3. Hollow out the flesh, discarding the tough center.
4. Pour two or three shots of aguardiente (raw rum) in a blender.
5. Pour in a shot of curaçao and a dash of bitters.
6. Add ice and flesh of pineapple and blend until smooth.
7. Pour blended mixture back into hollowed out pineapple.
8. Insert a straw and call Nave Maé Pizzaria in Florianopolis, Brazil.
9. Sip cold pineapple cocktail on beach while waiting for Nave Maé to deliver the pizza you just ordered with your cell phone. (If you need pineapple and ham on your pizza, they'll make you one.) :smile:

Last edited:

mexdude

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, was it the cherries or the pineapple? Would you have tried it sans pineapple?
For me pineapple and cherries are sweet things, and i dont like sweet things as main food, i just dont :redface:

*hugs* We should organise a time and cook and try it simultaneously! A cherry pineapple pizza party!

*shudder* NOT one I want to try! Although I have been known for odd combinations - orange juice and coke mixed together was a favourite of mine when I was a teenager.
Add maple syrup to that sweet pizza, and i would eat it :)

A friend of mine think im crazy because i like to drink the tequila with a can of diet coke :biggrin1:

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Each, right? :biggrin1:

Ah glad we cheered you up :wink: You can join us for cocktails if you like? Do you know Claridges?
Is Curious Angl paying for my airfare as well as cocktails and diner? If so then I would LOVE to join you!
Maybe I'm not a food snob, maybe I'm a food racist! :eek: Because culinary miscegenation I really don't hold with! :eek::eek::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:
Oh, i wouldn't go that far! :tongue: though admiting you could be is a ste in the right direction:tongue:
That's fine. Curious_angel is taking care of the bill!
Again, does that bill include airfare? lol Oh, and can I invite subgirrl and mexdude?:smile:
Oh how exotic! A big night out and the lady pays! :eek::biggrin1: That's whatever's next Curious :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:
LOL!

Oh, Hi, I have am working on a response to the whole pizza/ "turkish pizza" example you gave, but won't be able to post until later (still fleshing it out) I will let you know via PM when it is up as i would like your take on it!:biggrin1:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Fruit on meats has a long culinary history. Turkey and cranberry, ham and pineapple, pork and plum or applesauce, chutney with anything, depending on which end of Eurasia you find yourself. Not to mention the wonderful plantain.

Just about anything can be on a pizza, as I understand it. My personal favorite with pepperoni is sauerkraut. Pineapple is better with Canadian bacon. Peppers, olives and mushrooms with everything.

Most places offer 'dessert pizza' nowadays too, all fruit and no veg.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I had a pizza at a friend's home last night.
It was pretty standard, with tomato, mozzarella, basil and a few other ingredients ... everything very fresh -- but then he added pineapple.
Not entire rings, but pieces of pineapple here and there, too little to make thing soggy.
It really added to the taste, so I recant my earlier dismissal a bit.
(Mind you, most pizzas I've had with pineapple had maybe three times as much.)

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Personally consider Pizza overated, unless with heaps of differing cheeses ha
Profit margins on that product would probably equal Chinese Takeaways?
Apart from that splurge, dont mind Pineapple on Hawaiian Pizza ONLY,
while i am at it also hate olives
Dont mind Pineapple in a home made Hamburger, not the McDs shit tho
enz

Pineapple n' spicy pheasant, or nuthin.

Anything else is just slummin it. :biggrin1: