Pipes.

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, not as in Wesley.

Bagpipes.

Anyone like'em? I've always had an inkling of appreciation, and one recent night, about a fortnight ago, I decided I should explore my Irish/Scottish background, so I opened a bottle of Whisky and began downloading. That was a run-on sentence.

Anyway, even though most of what I procured was a variation of Amazing Grace, I did stumble upon The Dropkick Murphy's, oh and several good Irish Drinking songs ... if you can imagine.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I love the pipes. It's a shame that the great classical composers ignored them.

Elise would have loved Beethoven all the more.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
I used to play them for 5 years. The sound of a piping snare still makes me stand at attention lol! I was in a competition band and let me tell you, it's really fun at the end of a competition to join the mass band - 800 people or so, marching on a field. Bring your earplugs.

Pecker: I just can't resist... In a music history class this year, our teacher pulled out a recording of some forgotten composer who really liked the musette (a small, indoorsy and less violent version of the bagpipes). This composer arranged Vivaldi's four seasons for musette and other baroque instruments (violins, flutes, lutes etc.). I have never listened to anything so painful and yet so hilarious in my life. If I find the recording, I'll post it.

Reactions: MickeyLee

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can imagine that bagpipes were very effective on the field of war. The sound is so visceral even when it's only a recording. Something about them goes straight into your bones. I love them.

I went to clan gathering near Aurora, Ontario once and there was a band that combined bagpipes, violin and electric guitar. Was one hell of a show. IIRC at the time they were called the MacKenzie Brothers. They're now going by the name, Mudmen.

*Edit*

I didn't recall correctly. They used to be the Campbell Brothers, not MacKenzie.
Mudmen.ca Listen to a 30sec Sample

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I used to play them for 5 years. The sound of a piping snare still makes me stand at attention lol! I was in a competition band and let me tell you, it's really fun at the end of a competition to join the mass band - 800 people or so, marching on a field. Bring your earplugs.

Pecker: I just can't resist... In a music history class this year, our teacher pulled out a recording of some forgotten composer who really liked the musette (a small, indoorsy and less violent version of the bagpipes). This composer arranged Vivaldi's four seasons for musette and other baroque instruments (violins, flutes, lutes etc.). I have never listened to anything so painful and yet so hilarious in my life. If I find the recording, I'll post it.

Please do. PDQ Bach will be so jealous.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love the pipes - highland and uilleann.

I had the great fortune to attend the Highland Games in Santa Rosa, California - twice. Until then, I had never really appreciated bagpipes, but hearing the competing bands, the soloists, and listening to the music while watching the Highland fling, the gillie chalum, and the seann triubhas taught me a great and deep appreciation. Then seeing and hearing the mass band completely mesmerized me! I was hooked for life.

Naughty bhoy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man....i really gotta this crazy trip......short version LOL : "I would like to climb on some hill (medium sized) bring almost life supplies of food ,bring definately life supplies of greenery and play da pipes for i dunno how long,but pretty sure it would be long" LMFAO *shrugz* don't ask me why.
I love their sound....and about the other things i mentioned,that was just mine "trip" *grinz*

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man....i really gotta this crazy trip......short version LOL : "I would like to climb on some hill (medium sized) bring almost life supplies of food ,bring definately life supplies of greenery and play da pipes for i dunno how long,but pretty sure it would be long" LMFAO *shrugz* don't ask me why.
I love their sound....and about the other things i mentioned,that was just mine "trip" *grinz*

You are awarded no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

basketbulge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hearing bagpipes will always remind me of my Dad. I'm Scottish/Irish and grew up a military brat. Listening to bagpipes was pretty mandatory in our house. It's the only music my Father liked – or even tolerated – save for maybe Vera Lynn or Roger Whittaker once in a blue moon. :redface:

When I was about 10 my Dad took me to the Highland Games. Despite my age, I remember being incredibly moved and having goosebumps all over my arms most of the night.

My Dad passed away 2 weeks ago yesterday. At his funeral we had a soloist sing Vera Lynn's We'll Meet Again, and a bagpiper play Amazing Grace. I think he would have approved.