Pistol squats

Leixman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Hey everyone, anybody have any experience with pistol squats? Being doing them lately because I strained my back doing low bar squats. I can't go atg on them but am easily breaking parallel although I have to use one hand on a hand rail for a little support. Are they any good for strength and muscle gains in the legs? I do 3 sets of 10 reps per leg and the last few reps are always a struggle. Thanks

marinera

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sure they are. Muscle can only contract to win a force or to resist to it, doesn't matter if it is a barbell, an opponent, your own body or whatever.

Unfortunately, most of people is not built to do pistol squats. Airborne lunges (google it) and its variations are better imo and easy to progress through.

Original

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I can go down and balance on one leg doing a pistol squat but it takes a lot of concentration to keep my balance coming back up. They're great for muscle, strength, and balance but they require a lot of practice especially going ass to grass. Just keep using assistance and just lighten your grip till no hands. As for if they're bad for your knees... know your limits

Reactions: Leixman

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i have been doing pistol squats alot and the way i do them is sometimes i use a chair, or keep one foot on the floor. My balance is pretty bad...usually on my left side. I use a 10lb weight most of the time, sometimes none. The other way i do pistol squats if i don't use the chair and decide to go full on is when is i start the move i take the leg that is in front and bring it in....tuck it in sideways.

Pistol squats are great. I've finally been able to do them unassisted (4x10 each leg). Skater squats are a bit harder for me so I hold on to a rig or bar when doing those.

Reactions: kewlkid75

I'm a big fan of pistol squats, I include them in pretty much every leg day, usually after bar squatting. They're especially great for working on your balance and all the supporting muscles that go in to squatting, your core included. Obviously though, if you're new to the exercise continue doing what you're doing with the support, then (as Original has said) just ease off until you don't need it.

I usually work somewhere around three sets for ten to twelve reps, normally in a lot of muscle pain or failing by the last rep on each set.

Reactions: nailz

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm a big fan of pistol squats, I include them in pretty much every leg day, usually after bar squatting. They're especially great for working on your balance and all the supporting muscles that go in to squatting, your core included.

this is why they're awesome! :)
smith machine squats are a great exercise, but getting away from machines and doing exercises that require balance (and freeweights) are great, not only for building muscle but also for functional strength. plus stronger stabilizer muscles/core = less chance of injury, its win-win :p

paintergal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't do ass to grass squats due to the surgeries I have had on my knee, and forget even doing pistol squats. I can squat but only to a degree. Anyone who tries to tell me I need to squat lower can fuck off because I am physically incapable of doing that. The range of motions in my knees simply does not allow me to do that. So if you are unable to do something don't try force yourself thru the range of motion. No need to come out with a bigger injury !

But at the same time, just because at the moment you don't have the RoM doesn't mean you never will. Thats like saying youre out of shape and because of that there's no point in working out. Everyone is too fast to make excuses for not being able to do something instead of putting in the work.

Flexibility/ mobility takes time and consistency. Most knee injuries and pain from squatting is due to partial reps (above parallel) causing an imbalance of strength and tightness in the quadriceps.

Now as a disclaimer I obviously don't know anyones condition, maybe for some of you it is physically impossible due to severe injuries/ surgeries. I am just saying don't write yourselves off so quickly, there is always room for improvement, injury or not.