Plane Wreckage?

scorpio1444

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Go to Google Earth
Search for Gooseberry Neck, MA...it's a peninsula below Horseneck Beach. In my window it has a "G" balloon with the caption "Fire Control Tower"
Zoom in fairly close on the peninsula
Look at the lake that is on the eastern "bump"

At about 10 o'clock from the lake, WTF is that huge white thing?
If the above directions don't locate it for you, the pointer coordinates (in the lower left hand corner) are 41 29'17.42"N 71 02'12.64"W

If Looks like an airplane, but in pieces like a child's stryrofoam toy! I can't get an idea of scale, but I think it's way too big to actually be an airplane, but boy it sure looks like it. I looked up the same place in an aerial photo on Mapquest and it's not there in their satellite photo.

Any theories?

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
...the pointer coordinates (in the lower left hand corner) are 41 29'17.42"N 71 02'12.64"W

If Looks like an airplane, but in pieces like a child's stryrofoam toy! I can't get an idea of scale, but I think it's way too big to actually be an airplane...
Any theories?
Not too big. Check the dirt access road (aqnd cars parked a few dozen meters to the north); looks like an airplane to me.

Attachments

Andre80

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Educated guess:

That aircraft is most probably flying, and was caught by the satellite as it was flying overhead taking images.

On further review, my best guess is that he is leaving the pattern from Newport State airport, or Quonset State airport about 3-4 miles WwNW of his position.

Great catch though. Now try finding the 'stealth train' on google earth. ;)

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Educated guess:

That aircraft is most probably flying, and was caught by the satellite as it was flying overhead taking images.

On further review, my best guess is that he is leaving the pattern from runway 4/22 or 34/16 at Newport State airport about 3 miles WwNW of his position.

Great catch though. Now try finding the 'stealth train' on google earth. ;)
Sure looks grounded to my eyes...

scorpio1444

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Maybe we should hatch some great government cover-up/conspiracy story about it's disappearance and see if we can start a scandal lol

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Where's the shadow? No motion blur? Scale disparity? (Again, refer to the ground objects just north and south of the plane)

[edit - I am going by the Google Maps image (which I posted earlier); i don't know what the Google Earth image looks like. If they're different, we can DEFINATELY rule out a flying aircraft...]

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Where's the shadow? No motion blur? Scale disparity? (Again, refer to the ground objects just north and south of the plane)

[edit - I am going by the Google Maps image (which I posted earlier); i don't know what the Google Earth image looks like. If they're different, we can DEFINATELY rule out a flying aircraft...]

Google Earth uses the same image database as their maps site.

I see the shadow...it's directly southwest of that little pond. I'm not sure why you're expecting motion blur...I'm certain the shutter speeds on orbital satellites are fast enough to eliminate that. As for scale disparity, compare the plane's shadow with the road.

No great mystery...just some rich guy tooling around the RI Sound in his plane when the satellite flew overhead.

9incharkansasdick

Experimental Member
Media
It does look like it is flying to me. On Google Earth, go to the DFW Airport and just take off from its runways, you'll see several planes caught without motion blur or shadows.

It is a great observation, though.

Andre80

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jeesus DFW has a fuck ton of runways/taxiways. Looks like a plate of spaghetti. I would get lost for sure trying to taxi somewhere on that field. And yes, there is a plane in the air just off 36R. Funny thing is, 35L/R are dead parallel to 36L/R, but they had to say that they were 10 degrees different so pilots could tell the difference between the FOUR parallel runways. :O

For those who are aviation illiterate, a runway is numbered by its closest 10 degrees of magnetic heading. 36 means "360 (or zero)" and means "10". Confusing? Nah, not at all, and there is a good reason they do it this way: there isn't usually room to paint the full magnetic heading on a runway and still have it legible from the sky..

B_Cegro27

Sexy Member
Media
If DFW looks like a plate of spaghetti, then what does ORD look like? I have a Google Earth image of a plane in-flight near Weston, AL. What's so special about it??.....it's a Delta widebody, clearly departing from ATL.