Planned parenthood hubbabaloo

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If one of my family members did that I would completely disown them...

My sister has lost 2 from natural causes and it's very stressful even for immediate family / siblings
What makes you think the loss of a fetus the whole family was looking forward to is anything at all like the termination of an unwanted pregnancy? What makes you think you would even know about an abortion. Most people don't even tell immediate family members they are expecting until the second trimester, the point at which most pregnancies can be expected to succeed, and the point at which it is generally too late to choose to terminate. I love my brother, but if I was considering an abotion, he's not on the list of people I would consult.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm posting this here and not in the politics forum because that place scares me.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/249743-senate-battle-over-abortion-intensifies

I'm very confused about how much hatred there is for planned parenthood.

For me it's less about abortion, and more about access to women's health services.

Regardless of a person's stance on abortion, of which is 3% of the services that PP provides, I find it shocking that so many people want to defund the 97% of other services that PP provides. None of the abortions are publicly funded anyway. PP provides screenings for breast, cervical, & ovarian cancer, HIV & STDs, and just basic pregnancy; PP provides birth control pills, condoms, emergency contraception, and sex education to those in need; PP also provides basic health care to men AND women for those who can't otherwise afford it.

I guess I was just looking for your opinions ladies on both sides. I can't post this on facebook because of my job. But is it that bad of a thing ? That this company does one thing people don't agree with so we should defund the majority of awesome things they do ? I just don't get it.

The hatred directed at PP is from a couple of issues - abortion is one, but not even the main one, in my opinion.

PP was founded - mainly by Republicans - who realized that family planning issues undermined peoples control of their lives - particularly financial control. PP was formed long before abortion was legal and encouraged people to use birth control so that children would not be a financial burden, as well as a health burden. The idea is simple - don't have a child before you can take care of it.

Initial opposition to this idea was fierce and originated in the churches - catholic and many protestant. The whole gamut of arguments from subverting God's will to encouraging promiscuous sex.
I'm posting this here and not in the politics forum because that place scares me.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/249743-senate-battle-over-abortion-intensifies

I'm very confused about how much hatred there is for planned parenthood.

For me it's less about abortion, and more about access to women's health services.

Regardless of a person's stance on abortion, of which is 3% of the services that PP provides, I find it shocking that so many people want to defund the 97% of other services that PP provides. None of the abortions are publicly funded anyway. PP provides screenings for breast, cervical, & ovarian cancer, HIV & STDs, and just basic pregnancy; PP provides birth control pills, condoms, emergency contraception, and sex education to those in need; PP also provides basic health care to men AND women for those who can't otherwise afford it.

I guess I was just looking for your opinions ladies on both sides. I can't post this on facebook because of my job. But is it that bad of a thing ? That this company does one thing people don't agree with so we should defund the majority of awesome things they do ? I just don't get it.

Opposition to PP has been around since PP was started. Although efforts to encourage birth control and family planning go back more than 100 years, the opposition was there long before abortion was on the table. The arguments, many of which came from churches were that birth control, except the natural rhythm method blocked gods will. The other argument was that if people could have sex without fear of having a baby it would lead to a breakdown of public morality.

Mort of the early founders of pp were republicans. They saw unplanned babies as a drain on society and a limit to individual economic growth. The idea was to encourage people to plan when they would have a child so they could afford it. It was an idea to help keep people out of poverty. Again this was long before abortion was legal.

Overtime pp grew to provide the list of services that they now provide - and still it was opposed even though abortion was not in the mix. To me, opposition to pp has always been foolish and shortsighted.

When Roe v. Wade established the right of a woman to control her body, for a number of years one of the biggest advocates of abortion was Rev. Jerry Falwell. Yep. THAT Rev Falwell. He saw it as an economic issue, not a morality based one or a religious one. Killing babies was not in his mind. He changed his tune when he saw it as a wedge issue to galvanize a political movement. The rest, as we say is history.

While you did not intend to deal with this as a political issue, it very much is, and always will be. This is why elections matter.

Reactions: AlteredEgo