Planning my holiday to Eastern Europe

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was so going to ask about vacationing in France I'm planning on leaving around March and I had a LOT of questions just wanted to see if anyone had been...........

March is probably the cheapest but worst time of year to visit France; the weather will be dreadful (cold, wet, miserable for walking and too late for much skiing). Though Paris rarely has a sunny sky, it's unrelentingly gray, drizzly and windy in March.

During the years I lived in Paris in the early 90s, I didn't do quite as much exploration as I'd have liked, but I did get around some, mostly to the south, where a friend's mother had a beautiful home in Collioure, quite near the Spanish border on the coast (Catalan is spoken there, as well as French, just like Barcelona), and we made side trips to Perpignon and Montpelier, both of which were just lovely.

Though I've never been, I understand that Eastern France is quite nice (at least in warmer weather). Dijon was unscathed by both WW1 and WW2 and as a result is practically a museum of architecture from all periods beginning around 1200. Nancy has some of the most outrageous Art Nouveau anywhere in the world, and Strasbourg is considered interesting and beautiful but somewhat dull.

I never made it to western, Atlantic France much to my regret. If nothing else, I'd have liked to have seen Bordeaux.

The food throughout France is uniformly excellent, with a few exceptions worth noting: never eat near a train station or other tourist havens and avoid cuisine that is not specifically French (except Couscous, which is usually very authentic and delicious). They do not do Italian well (the pizza's horrible, expensive and its presentation is overly ostentatious) as red sauces are not usually well done, and anything labeled "American" is simply atrocious and outrageously expensive (I once ate at a place in Paris that served cole slaw as an appetizer for about $14 that was made with yogurt :eek:).

Stick to French food and you'll feast like a king. It also helps to have at least some knowledge of French: it needn't be perfect but any attempt will be amply rewarded, especially outside of Paris. At a bare minimum:

*Learn to count to 100, if for no other reason than money;
*Learn how to say "bon jour" and "bon soir" ("hello" and "good evening")
*Learn "parlez-vous anglais?" ("do you speak English?")
*Learn "merci" (thank you) and follow it with either "monsieur" or "madame", depending on the gender of the person who you are thanking.
*Learn the basics of the metric system, especially Celsius conversion; though hardly precise, I found you'll get a rough guide of temperature by doubling the Celsius and adding 32: 12 degrees becomes 24+32=56, which is close enough to know what to wear :tongue:

Much like the English and Americans, French people don't take to learning other languages as a rule; the degree to which they feign ignorance of English may or may not be genuine depending on where you are. In my time there (living about a mile from Bastille), I only met one person (out of literally thousands) whose English was perfect (and with a sexy English accent, to boot) and perhaps ten others whose English was, charitably, mid-way between really bad and incomprehensible. My lover at the time spoke no English whatsoever, and he was 32 when we met.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Romania is in the EU, I doubt you would have any problems being gay there. But you are a foreigner, so they don`t mind it much. But when it comes to local gays I believe the Romanian society is very harsh.
I have a couple of gay friends from Romania, and they are saying that times are changing. Slowly, but for the better as far as homosexuals are concerned.

Wow. You've almost made me start second guessing my decision to go. I have so many unanswered questions and doubts now that I've started looking into it. I was going to check the weather the week that I'm planning on going which honestly will be a little too late to cancel anything due to pre-booking flights and hotels. Honestly, March is the only time I can visibly go unless I push it out to August(for my birthday). I hear that the food there is excellent and that most places have English translations of their food or someone on staff that can roughly translate it. It makes me wonder on what exactly me and my friend are getting ourselves into. I took two semesters of French in high school and that was many years ago since then I've forgotten most of it. I know a few words here and there of French. I can say Hello, Welcome, Good-bye, Good-night, Thank you, My name is, I am, numbers 1-4(I know it's appalling), Can you speak English, and a few other words; randomly at best. My friend took several semesters like three or four of Spanish. Ugh. Good thing I have 8 months to ponder this decision.

March is probably the cheapest but worst time of year to visit France; the weather will be dreadful (cold, wet, miserable for walking and too late for much skiing). Though Paris rarely has a sunny sky, it's unrelentingly gray, drizzly and windy in March.

The food throughout France is uniformly excellent, with a few exceptions worth noting: never eat near a train station or other tourist havens and avoid cuisine that is not specifically French (except Couscous, which is usually very authentic and delicious). They do not do Italian well (the pizza's horrible, expensive and its presentation is overly ostentatious) as red sauces are not usually well done, and anything labeled "American" is simply atrocious and outrageously expensive (I once ate at a place in Paris that served cole slaw as an appetizer for about $14 that was made with yogurt :eek:).

Stick to French food and you'll feast like a king. It also helps to have at least some knowledge of French: it needn't be perfect but any attempt will be amply rewarded, especially outside of Paris. At a bare minimum:

*Learn to count to 100, if for no other reason than money;
*Learn how to say "bon jour" and "bon soir" ("hello" and "good evening")
*Learn "parlez-vous anglais?" ("do you speak English?")
*Learn "merci" (thank you) and follow it with either "monsieur" or "madame", depending on the gender of the person who you are thanking.
*Learn the basics of the metric system, especially Celsius conversion; though hardly precise, I found you'll get a rough guide of temperature by doubling the Celsius and adding 32: 12 degrees becomes 24+32=56, which is close enough to know what to wear :tongue:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow. You've almost made me start second guessing my decision to go. I have so many unanswered questions and doubts now that I've started looking into it. I was going to check the weather the week that I'm planning on going which honestly will be a little too late to cancel anything due to pre-booking flights and hotels. Honestly, March is the only time I can visibly go unless I push it out to August(for my birthday). I hear that the food there is excellent and that most places have English translations of their food or someone on staff that can roughly translate it. It makes me wonder on what exactly me and my friend are getting ourselves into. I took two semesters of French in high school and that was many years ago since then I've forgotten most of it. I know a few words here and there of French. I can say Hello, Welcome, Good-bye, Good-night, Thank you, My name is, I am, numbers 1-4(I know it's appalling), Can you speak English, and a few other words; randomly at best. My friend took several semesters like three or four of Spanish. Ugh. Good thing I have 8 months to ponder this decision.

PM me anytime you'd like for more details, especially regarding Paris, which I really know best.

August is a strange time of year to visit France because everybody's on vacation, and many many small shops (which are the ones to go to for authentic French/Parisian things) and restaurants will be closed, sometimes for the entire month. It also can get really hot in August, and AC is by no means universal.

I know it's a cliché, but April in Paris is magical; May is pretty grand there, too. That part of the world does Springtime really really well. Otherwise I'd suggest Autumn: September or October. Though it doesn't quite measure up to New England Autumns (where I'm from, natch), it's actually easier to walk around when it's chilly (but not cold) and dryer than it is most other months.

I remember one specific morning in March that was especially tough, weather-wise. Though my job was about a 20-minute and usually pleasant walk, I took the Metro that day as it was pelting a kind of sleet-rain mix with temps around 36 degrees (F): everything was freezing and soaking wet.

I always loved the Metro, as it's quick and convenient and goes everywhere, but for some reason that morning it was just ghastly. People were huddled in on themselves, cold and wet. In the florescent lighting, most everyone looked like an unnatural shade of bluish green, with dark rings under their eyes, staring off vacantly and trying hard to not look at or touch anyone else. That ride was a seven-minute slice of hell that left a really strong imprint on me: so strong that I can remember it like it was just yesterday (though it was actually 19 years ago).

Edited to add:

Most restaurants that have English-language versions of the menu are tourist traps: expensive and mediocre: not all but most. You'd be better off getting a little pocket French/English dictionary and keeping it in your bag.

Last edited:

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A big THANKS for sharing your most recent trip. By all indications you had a wonderful time full of many delights. I love the fact that every time you show your trip's highlights pictures to whom every, when it comes to the one you can fondly remember taking a piss along side of a road in the middle of Europe. :tongue:

RICKY_27

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Much thanks for sharing your photo memories of your trip. I really enjoyed the FOOD PIX!!! They made me hungry!!

RICKY_27

PS - It's too bad I did not know you were going to Zagreb. I would have asked you to visit ENNEDI and give him my greetings.

Pew

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Croatia: Split is good for a day, Hvar is as well. Can't miss Dubrovnik for 1-3 days.

Slovenia: Lublujuana is a nice place. Defiinitly go to Bled. I've heard there's a great national park. Didn't make it there.

Hungary: The strip clubs try to scam you HARD (like hundreds to thousands of dollars). The police are in it with em. Be very careful and do your homework. Besides that, go to the baths in Budapest. It's a great city.

Poland: Krakow is cool. Stay there to visit Auschuich (however you spell it). Salt mine is cool. I've heard good things about Warsaw. They are suposed to have some great museums.

Most people that talk about how dangerous eastern europe is have never been there. Have a good time.

'Poland: Krakow is cool. Stay there to visit Auschuich (however you spell it). Salt mine is cool. I've heard good things about Warsaw. They are suposed to have some great museums'.

Other interesting places in Poland - examples
- Białowieża Forest, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Białowieża_Forest
- Gniezno, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gniezno
- Świnoujście, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Świnoujście
- Kołobrzeg, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kołobrzeg
- Borne Sulinowo, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borne_Sulinowo
- Międzyrzecz Fortification Region (Festungsfront Oder-Warthe-Bogen), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festungsfront_Oder-Warthe-Bogen
- Walim (near Wałbrzych), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walim,_Lower_Silesian_Voivodeship
- Łódź, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Łódź
- Krzyżtopór, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzyżtopór
- Łańcut, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Łańcut

Transport in Poland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Poland

Trains timetables
http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en

Reactions: shapely