Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by hotbtminla, Jan 15, 2008.

1. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I didn't want to hijack ScaredLittleBoy's HDTV thread with a related but different question - I'm in the market to buy a new TV and would love to hear opinions on plasma screens versus LCD.

I'm probably going to go with something in the 40 inch range. Because, like, apparently I'm a size queen in more ways than one. :biggrin1: I'd primarily use it for TV, though I do have an Xbox 360 as well.

2. lucky8

Gold Member

plasma if youre going big...the big downside with plasmas is they have a glass screen so if it's going to be in a bright room, theres going to be a glare on your screen. LCDs are typically brighter than plasmas, but i think plasmas have better picture quality and denser colors than do LCDs. i think plasmas last little longer too...if u dont like, you can always return it for a different one

3. D_Theophallus Kneedgroin

D_Theophallus Kneedgroin Account Disabled

Now I had heard that LCD's last longer and are not as fragile.
    I have an LCD. Had it for about 2 years now and have been very happy with it.

4. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Since I have owned mostly LCD TV HDTV's, I will argue my points...plasma owners feel free to throw in your own two cents.

Some argue the size of plasma over LCD, but in recent years LCD's sizes have gotten very similar, and I like the increased brightness level of LCD's that allows you to see a clear picture even in a brightly lit room. Plasmas still suffer from burn-in, while light years from being as bad as it was 10 years ago, it still happens. And the durability of the Plasma is still a bummer, the sets lose brightness over the years, while LCD's also burnout, most sets allow you to swap out the lamp when it happens after 10 years or so.

The one thing Plasma still has a slight edge over LCD is in contast levels, but in recent years the differences are negligible.

Have fun shopping,and show us that new puppy when you get it. ;)

5. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Let me add my opinion. I purchased an LCD the day after Thanksgiving (Walmart special - a Polaroid 42" HD flat-screen for only $798) and I did some research.

LCD's weigh less (might be important if you plan on hanging it on a wall) and use less energy. Plus the price I paid was a heck of a good buy.
    Comparable sets that size usually run $1,100 and up.

6. BlackSunshineAZ

I've had a plasma TV for three years.

If anybody tells you that the gas will leak out of a plasma tv they're full of crap. Just in case some idiot saleperson tells you that. Durability shouldn't be an issue. Plasma TVs should have a useful lifetime of 80,000 hours. That's actually longer than tube TVs.

Who actually keeps a TV for more than 10 years? By then there will be much better units on the market anyway.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

If you are going gigantic (like stadium size) plasma is the way to go.

An LCD TV of about the same size as a plasma TV is usually a little more expensive for the initial cost.

Now, for the fun stuff: I've never understood how anyone could like the picture on a plasma unit better - it looks FUZZY to me, and the LCDs look a lot more crisp.

Plasma units are much heavier, use an astounding amount more electricity, generate tremendous amounts of heat, and can suffer from a greater number of maladies than an LCD. Each individual pixel on a plasma TV consists of 3 tiny bulbs, basically tiny little neon lights. They can burn out, and over time, lose their brightness. LCD screens last much longer; the only screen issue you may have to deal with would be replacing the fluorescent bulbs behind the liquid crystals, and that's pretty rare.

8. Principessa

Gold Member

My parents have a 56" plasma tv in the great room and I hate it. I would have told them to get a LCD but I was in NJ when they went telvision shopping. My idiot cousin advised them on the plasma screen tv. :rolleyes::mad:

I dislike it for a number of reasons. First and foremost if the bulb goes out it's $400 to replace and they are only good about 24-36 months. :confused: This is a big minus for retirees.

It's heavy, really heavy, it takes 2-3 large strong men to lift or move it. It uses more electricity than Frankenstein's monster.

Oh and if you accidentally power it off you have to wait 20 minutes before turning it on again. It's a rare occurrence but when it happens it's annoying. :12:

9. bigrider

bigrider Member

Albums:
    my buddy has a 42 lcd and a 67 dlp the dlp looks a lot sharper with less glare and seem to be cheaper thats what i would buy

10. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well to be honest 99% of bad looking HDTV pictures has more to do with lousy calibration than anything else. The Best Buy near my house loves to plug in analog 480i cable to all their HDTV units, its amazing they ever manage to sell anything.

BlackSunshineAZ is right though, don't listen to those pimply in store clerks...do lots of your own research before taking the leap.

11. viking1

Gold Member

I'd go with LCD. They do cost more than a comparable plasma. LCD won't suffer from "burn in" ever, and they are brighter.

12. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:

I do. I've had a Magnavox 26" color TV that I bought new in 1985. There is no way that I'll ever get rid of it until it just dies a horrible death. I'm watching it right now. It has no loss in color or quality over the years and will run circles around my 32" LCD TV especially when it comes to high-graphics and fast moving video games and movies.

I'm waiting for the OLEDS to come out. They are superior to plasmas and LCD with a much longer life than both.

13. vinorojo

vinorojo New Member

dude, go lcd, the reason the prices are coming down so much on plasma is that the stores want to dump them. Got a 42 inch Sharp Acquos 42 inch LCD that is fantastic. go with that or Samsung, you can't go wrong. also, shop on the internet for the best price, beats the stores every time. Enjoy.

14. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    for gaming the plasma is better because of the faster pixel response times, but for general use and if your not looking to buy the "high-end" stuff, or if you have a tivo get LCD. I say get an lcd with tivo because I had a pioneer plasma and with the tivo hooked to it, if you left it paused like while you went out and mowed the grass or something and accidentally left it stuck on that screen to long it'll get burn-in, not too noticeable but on white screens like during movies it shows. LCD's all the way for me. that is until that 9mm thick pioneer kuros comes out.

btw... eaglecowboy, currently the OLED's are $227 per inch. an 11' sony OLED is $2500.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

My friends husband owns a television repair shop. The last time I was in the market for a television (Spring 2002) I asked him what he recommended. He said Sony or Panasonic. I asked why, he said because they rarely break down and when they do they are easy to fix.

I bought a 27" Panasonic off e-Bay for $140 and have had no problems. My mom often comes into my room to watch her stories because she says I have the best picture in the house. :rolleyes::smile::biggrin1:

16. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    In 5-10 years OLED's should make for some very nice screens....imagine a screen the size of your living room wall, but only as thick as a piece of cardboard.

I love technology.:biggrin1:

17. No_Strings

Gold Member

If you go for LCD, I wouldn't go any higher than 5ms, even if you don't game. :smile:

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

First, thanks to everyone for adding to this thread. About 6 years ago I was watching TV at my ranch in Nevada and the 27" Sony I kept "hidden" in a large armoir built to hide big 27" or larger televisions/home theatres just dropped out onto the floor in the middle of David Letterman. The shelf had broken from fatigue, having held that ton-o'-vacuum tube up for a bunch of years. I've yet to replace it because I live most of the year outside of the USA. TV isn't that important, unless I'm stuck in bed with a cold.

Therefore, when I return to the USA to vote early and often I plan on hitting COSTCO and buying a new TV. Always wanted to know the pros and cons about LED and Plasma.

So, just to make sure, if I buy a 42" LED, record close ups of my penis on CD and play them back on the video, my dick will even look bigger, right? LOL!

Seriously, thanks for the info.

19. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:

no prob! seriously though, you really can't beat the older sony crt's!

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Just be sure to know the difference between LED and LCD!:smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted