Plasma vs. LCD

circumstances

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if you want flat panel, obviously Plasma and LCD are your only two available options.

if you don't have to have flat, go rear projection. the price-per-inch of flat panel plasma or lcd is significantly higher than any of the top rear projection technologies (although they have dropped quite a bit as time has gone on).

i had to go rear projection because i wanted 70" and didn't have $30,000+ dollars laying around for a flat panel. regardless, my calibrated sony kds-r70xbr2 blows away the picture on any television out there period, except for, some might say, the pioneer elite kuro 1080p plasma 50" or smaller (pixels denser and packed closer together). i don't dig the glare of the glass screen, and i prefer the image on my set.

sony's rear projection technology is a version of LCD called LCoS (liquid crystal on silicon), and their version of that is called SXRD (JVC's is called DiLA). out of LCD, DLP and LCoS, my personal preference is LCoS. smoother picture, more natural colors, better black level, no rainbows, no screen door effect, no silk screen effect, wide viewing angle, yadda yadda.

sony has bailed out of the rear projection television market, so they will never improve on the model i own. unfortunately it only came in a 60" and 70" version. a lower level successor television came out called the A3000, which is also supposed to be excellent, i think it might be available in as small as 50". i'd check that out if you can still find them.

even a rear projection LCD is going to be significantly less expensive than a flat panel LCD if you decide to go that route. if you don't need to pay a premium for flat panel, why would you?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now I had heard that LCD's last longer and are not as fragile.
I have an LCD. Had it for about 2 years now and have been very happy with it.

Last longer... because the way technology is going... you should plan on sitting tight at least 15 years with what you bought....(rollseyes)

Betamax
Walkman
Rear-projection
Water Bed

.. ... in tow.

plasma

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if you want flat panel, obviously Plasma and LCD are your only two available options.

if you don't have to have flat, go rear projection. the price-per-inch of flat panel plasma or lcd is significantly higher than any of the top rear projection technologies (although they have dropped quite a bit as time has gone on). The price has dropped because nobody wants them! :tongue:

even a rear projection LCD is going to be significantly less expensive than a flat panel LCD if you decide to go that route. if you don't need to pay a premium for flat panel, why would you?

You are not seriously recommending a rear projection television in 2008!?!? Dude that is so 1982!

circumstances

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You are not seriously recommending a rear projection television in 2008!?!? Dude that is so 1982!

that's CRT rear projection my dear :biggrin1:

this is not your father's oldsmobile!

(nowadays rear projection is pretty slim compared to back in the day, and of course HD with the neat 16:9 aspect ratio. most flat panel plasma and lcd cannot come close to the picture quality of a top notch DLP or LCoS rear projection television. just sayin').

here's my set, still just about the best thing out there in 2008 (side view, then front view):

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/images/rpsidefit.gif

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2006/06/sony-kds-r70xbr.jpg

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
... I've had a Magnavox 26" color TV that I bought new in 1985. There is no way that I'll ever get rid of it until it just dies a horrible death. ...
A few years ago I visited a cousin who also has a 25-26in Magnavox TV. It was purchased by her mother in the mid-80s and has become an heirloom, first passed to her older brother, then to my cousin. Wood veneer surface and "console" styling of the 70s.

I have six year old HDTV which could be considered geriatric relative to other HDTVs. It's a Hitachi CRT direct-view with curved glass instead of flat. Those were uncommon back then even.

To those considering a purchase: keep in mind a TV can last a long time so you can spread the cost over many years.