Plastic Surgery: Hurt Or Heal?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Incocknito, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Incocknito

Gold Member

Just finished watching Louis Theroux: Under The Knife.

It featured several people (three) who completely changed their appearance. One man had liposuction, a tummy tuck, every possible facial surgery, bicep implants, pec implants and another man had at least the same, if not more procedures.

Then there was a woman who split up with her boyfriend and the next day she had hired an "image consultant" who recommended all these surgeries to her.

Admittedly she did look very attractive after the surgeries (before that she was a bit plain looking). She described herself before the surgery as a "cute girl" and after the surgery as "a beautiful woman".

Notably when she was crying (she said tears of happiness) - when asked about how she felt - there was no expression in the face at all. No screwing up around the eyes or anything.

Then her boyfriend came and said she looked "beautiful" and "amazing". And that he was so much happier with how she looked. Which prompted me to wonder 'if she was so unattractive before why was he with her for 8 years?'.

Anyway the main point of this thread is to ask:

Does plastic surgery hurt or heal?

One of the men who had completely changed his appearance (and even name) said that he had been called an "ugly bastard" for 15 years by his stepdad and basically that was why he had all the surgeries.

Now to me that suggests a psychological problem. Although this guy did say he had been to therapy and that the physical changes he made have improved his self image.

But he looked unreal and his pec implants looked more like tits than pecs.

Personally I think that anyone who feels they need cosmetic surgery has psychological or self esteem issues which require a relevant treatment; not surgery.

The problem is vanity and the definition of beautiful or the pursuit of Beautiful (I think it's somewhere in California? :tongue:)

Who decides what beautiful is anyway? I just think its very sad that some people feel so lowly of and in themselves that they feel they need surgery and in a way a new identity to be happy. And I think that often they are left without happiness and left with a hefty medical bill.

Is there anyone that really thinks plastic surgery does some good (excepting cases where people have been in terrible accidents etc)?

I just don't think you can solve psychological problems with physical treatments.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I had a horrible automobile accident several years ago and was disfigured and partially paralyzed as a result. Thankfully most of the pieces were able to to be put back in place and I have had a 99% recovery. Because of this experience I am reluctant to ever do any other cosmetic work for vanity's sake of growing older. I'm so grateful to be growing older.

3. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

When one of my front teeth was punched out(Lucky punch, BTW!) I needed maxillofacial surgery to reimplant the tooth in place, so this one was not of desire but of necessity.

4. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    IMHO we need to be very careful about assuming we understand another's motivation in this area. A litle over ten years ago I had my "eyes done." My situation was that I had an illness that aged me in that part of my face very substantially and very quickly. This was to the point that people I knew well five years ealier did not recognize me.
    As a gay man who was single at the time, this was a problem. A one hour procedure that cost $6000 got me back to much closer to an age appropriate appearance. I'm forever grateful. Shortly thereafter I met my husband and we are coming up on twelve happy years together. Would the surgery have made any difference to him? Hard to say. Did it give me the confidence to venture out? Definitely!
    Dave

5. Viking_UK

Gold Member

This is a definite case of "it depends".

Some people are looking for a quick fix, either because they can't be bothered to actually put in the work to improve their bodies themselves or because they have a problem which they believe will be solved by changing this or that about their appearance. What most of those people need more is time with a trainer or psychiatrist rather than surgery.

Others have done the diet and exercise and have excess skin to get rid of. I'd say that's a legitimate reason for going under the knife.

Some people want to hide the signs of ageing. In most cases, I'd say that's just vanity and that they should just go gracefully, but if you want to go kicking and screaming to your grave, who am I to deny you that right?

I think that everyone who goes for plastic surgery should, as part of their consultation, receive a psychological assessment to find out why they want to change and what results they expect the change to produce. In many cases, people aren't satisfied with the changes because they haven't actually addressed the root problem that made them want to go for surgery in the first place. No matter how much you trim, tweak or tuck your body, it still has the same mind inside it.

6. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Bring on the plastic. There is absolutely no reason to grow old, saggy and wrinkly gracefully, when you can re-capture youth somewhat. but it is a personal decision that should be given serious thought. Procedures are usually intense and often irreversable, and quite costly... Make sure you research your doctor thoroughly, and get references so you can see his work.... Otherwise you risk looking like Jocelyn Wildenstein

7. Incocknito

Gold Member

I think growing old is a part of life. Plus I think the people undergoing surgery don't look young or youthful at all. At least the people who have multiple surgeries. They look like Ken and Barbie dolls.

Here's a link to part of the programme I watched:

YouTube - Louis Theroux Under The Knife 3 of 6

YouTube - The Strange And The Dangerous 3 Of 5 - Under The Knife (part 4/6)

8. chadstallion

Gold Member

Albums:
    lipo- didnt hurt at all
    nose job - hurt like hell
    gyno issue - hurt like hell

9. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

I agree in part Cocknito, however more and more, society judges you on appearance, and with the bad economy there is a ton of competiton for the limited amount of jobs available. The "perception" of Old people is that they are lazy, sickly, slow etc. So why not avoid the labels by putting your BEST face forward. As I said before, I am not the cheerleader for plastic surgery, and it is a personal decision, but a consideration that should be explored...

10. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Oh, absolutely.

11. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

My belief was that getting stuff "sucked" out of you shouldnt hurt, but should only be pleasurable ??? LOL

12. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Oh Hicky, you are the LAST person I want to be patronized by. :cool:

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

I've been thinking and thinking and thinking. I've got these great green eyes, but the skin under to the sides of and above them has always been somewhat annoying; since I was in my mid 20s I've had people frequently tell me I look like Anthony Hopkins. I recently had a land mark birthday and have a bit of cash set aside for blepharoplasty (an eye lift). For years I've said I'd have it done for this particular birthday.

Long ago I found a high-end plastic surgeon who assured me he can make me appear "very rested" and no longer a buff daddy-type with Anthony Hopkins eyes. I would look like a buff daddy-type with my own eyes. They look great on Anthony Hopkins, but I'm not to thrilled with them. I only worry that I'll end up looking like I've had plastic surgery. The Squeeze is totally against it because he likes the way I look. I have the face of the person he fell in love with. But something I learned about plastic surgery many years ago is: don't listen to your friends. Listen to yourself.

I had a double deviated septum repaired in my 30s and the ENT surgeon asked me at the time if I wanted my nose worked on, because the surgery was so invasive having a nose job done at the same time would have been covered by my insurance. I'd never thought about having a nose job. I didn't even know I had an odd nose. But I did and I still do. I did a straw poll among my friends. Every one of them said there was nothing wrong with my nose (omitting that it's obvious that it's been broken several times and has healed with a distinct curve to the left). So, I opted NOT to have my nose straightened along with my deviated septum. I breathe just fine since that sinus surgery, but I would be breathing even better if I had opted to have my nose straightened along with my septum bones. And I would look better in photographs had I opted for having my nose straightened.

Not having my nose straightened was the worst vanity decision I ever made. But as someone noted previously, sinus/nose surgery is pure fucking hell. You have to breathe through your mouth for at least 3 if not 4 weeks. And the crap they suck out of you on your final "Go off and have a good life" appointment is beyond description. Trust me, you do not want to know. Anyway, that boat has sailed. But I can still undergo an hour surgery that in four weeks will make me look look like a younger, taller, and buff version of Anthony Hopkins.

I'm still thinking about it.

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Gyno issue? :eek:

Was it your vagina, ovaries, or uterus you had work on? :confused:

15. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I had that question too.
    Depending on his answer, Chad may be the most interesting guy on this site ...

16. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Well we have all heard about "chicks with dicks". Chad might just be a "dude with a kitty"....?

17. rude

rude Active Member

Albums:
    With regards to chad and the gyno issue. Sometimes with men who resort to steriod use, and I am not saying chad has done it, but sometimes these men have some breast development as a result. They are sometimes referred to as "bitch tits",and the only way to get rid of the development of breast tissue is thru surgery.

Thank you all, I'll be here all week.

rude

18. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

The term 'gyno', in a medical sense anyway, has nothing to do with breasts, male or female - so that wouldn't apply.

19. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

The term "gyno" clearly infers VaJayJay issues....Or maybe Chad has simply spent too much time in "stir-ups" ???

20. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

A term can't 'infer' anything, Betsy. The use of a term can imply something or the listener or reader can infer something from the use of a term.

Draft saved Draft deleted