Plateletpheresis?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Contour, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Contour

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am considering going to donate platelets. I've done the general blood donation plenty of times, and was recently reading up on plateletpheresis. It seems fairly invasive how it gently sucks and centrifuges ecetera, and some say it can be painful.

Does anyone actively donate platelets or have done so in the past? If so, how was it?

2. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can't donate blood in NZ as I lived in the England during the 80's.

Mad cow disease threat... and it can't be scanned for, Kiwis won't take the risk.

3. Rosie50

Rosie50 New Member

Albums:
    I'm an active blood platelet donor - donated 95 times. I'ts not painful or invasive at all. The same size needle as for donating of blood is put in your arm and the whole centrifuge machine stands to one side. As soon as a unit of blood has been "drawn" it separates the platelets and returns the rest of the blood components when the machine reverses the flow through the same needle that is already in the arm. This is repeated (ideally) between 6 and 8 times. There is very little blood loss and side effects are minimal. (I get a slight reaction from the anti-clotting meds that are inside the ordinary saline which is used in the machine, but it is quickly rectified by taking some disolved calcium, which the clinic has on hand.)

Good luck with your decision. Until you have seen it, you will never understand how much platelets can help a person who is suffering from uncontrollable bleeding from ie. chemo or a blood disease.

4. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I used to do plasmapheresis back in my school days, for much the same reason. It's a lifesaving substance for burn victims, who are among the most painfully afflicted people in any hospital.

The process is identical to that used for platelets, and is often done at the same time. Unlike erythrocytes lost during whole blood donation, your body will replace plasma in a matter of hours. My understanding is that platelets take several days, sometimes even weeks to regenerate.

5. Rosie50

Rosie50 New Member

Albums:
    In a healthy adult, platelets regenerate in 48 hours!! ;o))

Draft saved Draft deleted