"Playing It Straight" - what happened?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

Mighty_Joe: Fox network reality show "Playing It Straight" seems to have disappeared after three televised episodes. I caught the first two but missed the third (and evidentally last) showing. Lots of unfinished business - I am sure the whole series had already been taped so what happened? There were lots of hunks - both straight and gay.

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

The service that gives Fox its viewer numbers evidently reported low interest in the show and that caused potential sponsors to pull their support during the time slot.

When the might dollar speaks, TV producers listen.

3. Imported

Gold Member

Mighty_Joe: So how did the girl get compensated for the time she spent on the series? She was in for at least a half-a-million had she won. I read somewhere that one of the contestants got a little drunk in episode two and tried to put the make on one of the guys in a hot tub. He left the series on his own. Something sounds a little fishy to me.

4. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Yeah, the Bravo show "Significant Others" (soft sigh) was canned prematurely because of low ratings from the public. If you want my honest opinion, I don't think FOX was prepared to have a show in their programming. Bravo's the network that "fits" best with "gay programming" (both terms loosely quoted, mind you). While "Playing It Straight" sounded like a good gimmick in the drawing room, maybe in viewing it the network might have grown... I don't know, concerned, maybe... with such a show on their telecast.

Then again, Bravo pulled off "Boy Meets Boy" -- and in this case, the straight guy who managed to connive James' heart would win fifty thousand bucks -- and it worked, even though I'm not exactly sure if it swept the ratings.

5. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, Bravo has more gay programming already. I mean, Fire Island? Also, Bravo appeals to a more upscale (and thus, if gay, more likely to be out) market.

6. Imported

Gold Member

warmsunshine: It got bad ratings, so Fox pulled it. They will "re-launch" the show (i.e. burn off the eps) during this summer's programming (probably June / July time frame) so eventually you WILL get to see the rest of the shows and find out that Jackie picks a straight guy in the end (most likely Shariff) though I wish she had picked Luciano and therefore wound up with nothing (he's gay, gay GAY!).

7. Imported

Gold Member

dancinfool: i saw the first episode... it wasnt THAT great...

i agree that it would be better on bravo, or at least showtime. showtime has brought us such amazing tv as queer as folk (possible one of my favorite shows) and the L word...

Draft saved Draft deleted