Please help me with a windows media player problem.....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Tank30, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Tank30

Tank30 Member

Ok, I'm going crazy trying to figure it out. Ok, I was having problems getting avi's to play. They were just playing the sound and not the vid. So, I downloaded the light codec pack from that hippo file site. But it screwed up my streaming. So, I uninstalled it. So, I want to know how do I get back to were I can stream videos instead of having to save and download them. Before whenever I would click on .wmv or mpeg file. My windows media player would just automatically pop up and start buffering and streaming the video. Now whenever I click on a .wmv or mpeg it asks to me download and save the file to my computer. I don't want that. I don't know what to do. I went to my options made sure my wmv player was set for the default player and set as default for these types of videos. Any one have any idea? Does it have to do with the proxy settings?

2. chiefone4u

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Each version of Windows Media player has a different area to correct your issue... so a few things that would help solve your problem would include:

What Version of Windows are you running? (95, 98, 2000, ME, XP (home, pro), Vista).
    What Version of Media Player are you using? (you can ignore this question if running Vista).

3. Tank30

Tank30 Member

I have Windows Vista.
    WMP 11

#3 Tank30, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    try this codec pack. Combined Community codec Pack

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Or, you can download the Gom Player (it's free and plays everything) and forget about codecs.

6. Tank30

Tank30 Member

If I was able to view these videos in stream before, why must I download any thing? Shouldn't I just be able to fix the correction in the wmv player's settings or my computer's settings?

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Go to download.com and do a search for K-Lite codec pack. Its fantastic. Its just a plug in not a stand alone player. It plays any kind of video or audio you can imagine. I use it. Its the best one out there. Trust me you wont be sorry.

8. Tank30

Tank30 Member

Mr. Snakey that is actually what messed up my streaming settings. I downloaded the k-lite codec pack. I'm not looking to download any type of codecs. I just want my windows media player to stream like it use to before I downloaded and uninstalled k-lite.

9. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    no, you can't fix it that way. If you messed it up installing outdated codec that overwritten ones that did work you should reinstall a codec pack that will give you back the ones that worked. Not sure what you mean by streaming. Usually when I get vids over the internet like that the website will tell ya what spec you need to run there video. NBC and most use move player.

10. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Im suprised to hear that. Uninstall k-lite and see what happens. I take it you have windows media player11 if you have vista. I have no problems with it. See if there are any updates for media player11. Something tells me k- lite didnt install the right way. Try uninsalling and reinstalling it. First unistall it and see if it fixes your problem. Its very hard to say what the problem is without more information. However if your player was working fine before k- lite get rid of it. Also only go to trusted sites like download.com for software downloads. Run a good anti-virus and spyware program. If your security settings are set high(which is good) it could have something to do with it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted