Please tell me the real world is not like this....

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...or I may lose all faith in humanity.
I am a bit of a shut in, just personal preference. So I decided to reach out to the internet for some muscle building and dieting help. I joined up at the site BodyBuilding.com, and I have been browsing for about 4 hours when this thread was started by the user 'Spes' (hahahaha latin for hopeful):

Spes' Thread

Anyway, I just want someone out there to tell me that people in daily society are not this awful all day long to everyone.

Note: After following the thread as it developed, I left. Never going back.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some are and some aren't. It's just much more common online.

It's mob mentality. Bashing race/religion/sexuality is accepted and cool. Wanna be popular? Make a [bad] racial/religious/homophobic joke (or post stupid pictures, it seems). Online, when you post something, there is potentially millions of people that can read it and reply, so once one person responds in a negative way, everybody else decides to jump on the bandwagon and prove how witty they are. There's also always the anonymity that the internet provides. You can get away with saying anything simply because it [most likely] won't affect your real life.

While these things do happen in real life, they aren't as common. And if it does happen, just use it as a filter system. Those that are ignorant and intolerant enough to advertise such behaviour aren't worth knowing in the first place.

Don't let the stupid shit you see online stop you from interacting with the 'real world'. Good luck with your muscle building and dieting :smile:.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't read the linked thread, but i can guess at its stupidity.

I had an experience on youtube, where this scenario unfolded:

I went to a video that had three minutes of highlights on a college football player that was drafted from my alma mater into the NFL...i decided to comment to the fans of the NFL team, who were asking if anyone was familiar with him what they could expect: i.e. was he a hard worker? Dedicated? A good and consistent player...etc.?

Having been my alma mater, and having watched the kid play for 4 years in college, gradually getting better, i left this message to the fans of the NFL team under the "comment" section:

"I hope you guys Take good care of him....he is a hell of a player, a great kid, a dedicated worker and he'll give your team everything he has got and won't let up. He is a real gem...

we are thrilled he has made it to the NFL as he deserves it, but we are truly going to miss him. Good luck to you guys "

some random person who had not even posted in the comments before, in reply to my comment, left this message: (excuse the bad language, but it is what this guy said)

"Shut the fuck up you stupid nigger. Fuck you. "

Needless to say, i am not even black, but still, the idiocy of some people is just off the charts. I wish i could say that is a rare occurrence but it isn't...there is a huge amount of people who will say anything, no matter how outlandish, against jews, blacks, gays, women, anyone they dislike for whatever reason

pathetic

Very thoughtful post, Discontent Boy - I agree.

I think a lot of those ppl were joking, and teasing the OP for being a bit serious (although some were downright twats). It was maybe a bit unwise to post that thread on that forum.

To answer Splitty's post - I think there are some ppl like that, and it's best to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you're gna get that kinda response. A lot of ppl aren't like that though - I don't often encounter them, and if I do I just steer 'em towards safer topics of conversation, lol.

Good luck anyways man - the real world's not as bad as it's made out to be, there's a lot of nice ppl out there. You're a great bloke, so I'm sure things'll go well for ya. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hilariously typical of the normal adolescent male mentality. Weak minds can be so amusing.

(no homo)
Terrifyingly true. Nice closing line :D ... But WTF does that even mean???

Some are and some aren't. It's just much more common online.

It's mob mentality. Bashing race/religion/sexuality is accepted and cool. Wanna be popular? Make a [bad] racial/religious/homophobic joke (or post stupid pictures, it seems). Online, when you post something, there is potentially millions of people that can read it and reply, so once one person responds in a negative way, everybody else decides to jump on the bandwagon and prove how witty they are. There's also always the anonymity that the internet provides. You can get away with saying anything simply because it [most likely] won't affect your real life.

While these things do happen in real life, they aren't as common. And if it does happen, just use it as a filter system. Those that are ignorant and intolerant enough to advertise such behaviour aren't worth knowing in the first place.

Don't let the stupid shit you see online stop you from interacting with the 'real world'. Good luck with your muscle building and dieting :smile:.

Phew. Thank you. And don't fret, I won't let them stop me.

Its all the testosterone and steroids :yup: does weird things to the mind

:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well yes, people can be awful and they are more awful behind the cloak of anonymity the web offers.

But. I can't help wondering what Spes was expecting. He is either very naive or a troll. He joined the site that day and the very first thing he posts is telling other members how and what to post. You do that around here and you get run out of town on a rail.

And it doesn't matter if he's right in what he says. If you go telling a bunch of guys like that not to gay bash or make jokes about gays, it's like waving a red flag at a bull.

I think he's a troll.

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...or I may lose all faith in humanity.
I am a bit of a shut in, just personal preference. So I decided to reach out to the internet for some muscle building and dieting help. I joined up at the site BodyBuilding.com, and I have been browsing for about 4 hours when this thread was started by the user 'Spes' (hahahaha latin for hopeful):

Spes' Thread

Anyway, I just want someone out there to tell me that people in daily society are not this awful all day long to everyone.

Note: After following the thread as it developed, I left. Never going back.

Although I'm sure there's good information to be had on BB.com, the sheer lack of respect, moderation, and maturity don't just keep people away from those forums, they keep them away from lifting weights, eating right, and fitness in general.

If you really are serious about building some meat and eating right, give the John Stone Fitness forums a try. Been a member for years. BB.com and JSF forums are like the difference between an elementary school playground and a graduate school classroom. John runs a tight ship, so you get all of the great information but with lots of friendliness and open mindedness and none of the anarchy and complete and total lack of respect, maturity and morals of a lot of the other places, such as BB.com.

Give the place a try and see what you think.

splitface

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well yes, people can be awful and they are more awful behind the cloak of anonymity the web offers.

But. I can't help wondering what Spes was expecting. He is either very naive or a troll. He joined the site that day and the very first thing he posts is telling other members how and what to post. You do that around here and you get run out of town on a rail.

And it doesn't matter if he's right in what he says. If you go telling a bunch of guys like that not to gay bash or make jokes about gays, it's like waving a red flag at a bull.

I think he's a troll.

Very true. But I dont think he was a troll; he had 10 posts, all in that thread.

Although I'm sure there's good information to be had on BB.com, the sheer lack of respect, moderation, and maturity don't just keep people away from those forums, they keep them away from lifting weights, eating right, and fitness in general.

If you really are serious about building some meat and eating right, give the John Stone Fitness forums a try. Been a member for years. BB.com and JSF forums are like the difference between an elementary school playground and a graduate school classroom. John runs a tight ship, so you get all of the great information but with lots of friendliness and open mindedness and none of the anarchy and complete and total lack of respect, maturity and morals of a lot of the other places, such as BB.com.

Give the place a try and see what you think.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it :D

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HOLY ****. That is just bad. Holy crap, man, WHY?

The way I heard it is that he apparently said he was going to do something like that on several occasions before. Since he never actually did, they thought he was just crying wolf or trying to get attention, so they egged him on. Well, that last time, he was actually serious and did it.

Still though, a group of people with any fucking decency whatsoever wouldn't have done something like that.

Amber1

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I read the first page on the linked thread....

What can I say?? they are just a bunch of wankers!!!

And there is no point in trying to appeal to people who are completely socially retarded!! and this lot are weakminded bcos they have all followed each other and bashed the OP!!

Just wankers!!!

I wouldn't take it to heart...there are assholes everywhere in life but nice people too and the same on sites!! Pick ur sites carefully I think!!