"Plonk" - What it is...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Imported

Gold Member

carolinacurious: "Plonk" is a term that I believe JonB coined (Dr. Rock gives a more accurate etomology but I first heard the term from JonB) for the sound that the enter key makes when you hit it with satisfaction at ignoring a troll.

Some of the newer people here may not know how to "ignore the posts" (keep them from displaying) of a particular user.

When you see that someone has said something so offensive to you that you doubt you will ever want to see what they have to say again you can add them to your ignored users list.

How to do it:

In the discussion topic, click the name of the user, this will take you to the users profile. Any other way you can find to get to the profile will work just as well.

On the profile, near the top of the page, to the right of the user's name there are several options, one of them is IGNORE USER, click it.

You're not quite done yet, this will take you to your control panel. The users name should be displayed and at the bottom there should be a button that says: Update Ignored Users, click this button. Enjoy the "plonky feeling", you've become a member of the new "plonk" generation. Wear your "plonkiness" with pride.

You're done. That's all there is to it. It's also an easily reversible procedure and you can choose to see any post on an individual basis.

2. Max

Max New Member

Thanks, Carolina.

I have not used this facility so far; up till now I have relied just on basic intuition.

Having been on this board and its predecessors for a good six or seven years (at a guess), I have I think developed an instinct for the threads I don't need to [a] participate in and open.

But this morning we seem to be overrun.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I've plonked myself so I don't know what I've just typed.

4. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

I would plonk Pecker if I could get my hands around him! :rolleyes:

5. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

Thanks Carolinacurious I never checked out this feature and I'm glad to know about it.

I thought plonk was a verb as in "go plonk yourself".

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    it originated on usenet years and years ago with the introduction of newsreader-based ignore lists (killfiles). "plonk" was meant to imitate the sound of dropping the offending poster in the ol' bozo bin, I guess. the principle is obviously the same with any ignore function.

7. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, it's also British slang for cheap wine, according to Jargon File.

All I'm sure is that it is NOT an acronym for Put Ll4m4 ON Killfile.

8. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    heh. true, although I've never heard anyone under the age of 70 use it as such :p

9. Max

Max New Member

heh. true, although I've never heard anyone under the age of 70 use it as such :p
    [post=294993]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Hey, you've just aged me 15 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted