Plus size ladies:

D_Teasdale Tittithorne

Experimental Member
Media
I'm tired of the same ol' clothes and I'm looking for some sexy new threads for work and going out. Does anyone have any good go-to's? I'm in California, or online would great... Also in need of some new panties that can handle the fupa (for lack of better terminology), and make me feel like flashing should the opportunity arise. :)

D_Teasdale Tittithorne

Experimental Member
Media
Hm, there's Lane Bryant around here, and the womens departments at larger stores. I have a hard time finding age appropriate clothing. I feel like it's geared toward the younger girls, or older women. I like a lot of black, and a pretty classic look, but with some edge. And I have small breasts so it's often an issue finding tops that don't have a lot of extra fabric in that area...

Thanks!!

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hm, there's Lane Bryant around here, and the womens departments at larger stores. I have a hard time finding age appropriate clothing. I feel like it's geared toward the younger girls, or older women. I like a lot of black, and a pretty classic look, but with some edge. And I have small breasts so it's often an issue finding tops that don't have a lot of extra fabric in that area...

Thanks!!

Your experience is so different to mine! When I was in plus size clothing, it always felt to me as though all the clothes available were geared towards women age 60+ (my mum always felt like the clothes were too 'old' for her and she's in her 50s!). And I have very large boobs so it was impossible to find things that fit my boobs but didn't have a lot of excess material in other places (although that's true even now I've lost weight again). I like a lot of black as well, but I don't really do pretty or classic, and I swear anything I found that was black was both pretty and classic!

We're in different countries, so I haven't got any suggestions for you, but I wanted to commiserate. I feel your clothes shopping pain :smile:.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
Here are some that have some cute clothes. Some trendy, some classic. They offer a bit of variety:

bandlu.com - They don't have as much variety as they used to, but they still have some interesting pieces.

Plus Size - Clothing | Pinup Girl Clothing -
They have some cute pinup girl style clothing for plus-sized women. It's not your everyday wear, but they have some cute stuff there. (also see babygirlboutique.com)

ashleystewart.com - More classic stylings but a little more variety than Lane Bryant or Avenue.

simplybe.com - Classic clothing designs with some very cute shoes.

chestybbwsizequeen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I shop a lot and I have learned that some seasons are better than others for me. Sometimes I just can't find anything that I like so when I do I tend to stock up.

I like a lot of stuff at Macy's. Other people have mentioned Torrid. You may also want to try ebay. I find a lot of cute stuff there. H&M is coming out with a plus sized line. Evans is based in the UK but ship to the US and they have cute stuff as well. Good luck.

D_Tam_Ponds

Account Disabled
Media
I have lots of luck at Catherine's for tops, Lane Bryant for pants. I do have to agree with the old lady style argument, and I also find alot of things that seem to be geared more toward the black population in plus sized clothes. It is frustrating finding clothes though. At Fashion Bug, they really like putting ugly plastic crap on the shirts, like huge fake flowers and such. Some places think all fat women are really really short. Others think we're all exceptionally tall. I buy most of my pants at Lane Bryant - but I have to buy petites! Now I'm a long-waisted gal and 5'6". I have had to shop tall sizes for much of my life so it's really bizarre that I fit into petites there.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have an apple shape. I have really long legs, that are really slim, but I have a pot-belly. I find that most places, even those selling plus size clothes, sell mostly jeans which do not flatter my shape. It has been a while since I needed to buy jeans, and I'm not sure they still sell the styles I used to buy, but I used to get all my jeans from NY & Co. I wear a size 12 or 14 in pants in most places, and at NY & Co that is a size 10. The jeans are on clearance during the summer. The reason I don't need to buy any is because I used to stock up every summer, and now I have plenty of them in several sizes since my weight goes up and down. They do not sell jeans during the summer once they run out of clearance stock. You have to wait for the fall collection to come out.

I think I may be able to get into smaller tops now (haven't gone shopping) but
I don't buy dresses because I was at one point wearing a size 20 shirt and a size 16 pants, and then a size 18 shirt and a size 14 pants. Dresses look like sacks on me. I do not have any hips or behind to fill them out. I found that Jessica McClintock was among the first to sell dresses that fit me well. They fit because though they were really one piece, the tops were double-layered so they fit like separates. She was also among the first designers to make separates that looked like dresses in plus sizes. Her stuff is the only reason I have pretty dresses to wear to formal events.

sizequeenNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You're twenty eight so you are still young enough for trendy but not so much so that you should go overboard. It would also help if you post your size since some stores vary with size. The only two mentioned here that I personally would shop at are pinupgirlclothing.com and Macys

I would also be cautious about trying to dress "sexy". You can be well dressed and be sexy at the same time. Like if you show cleavage, do not wear a short fitted skirt for example. Also, if you can shop in person and try everything on, even more than one size of something it is better. Check online for what stores are selling now and use it as a guide

Things like stripes and animal print are trending down- they are going to be over. For fall it is going to be a lot of dark taupe, gray, black with jewel tones like ocean, berry, jade, orange(dark). This is great news for plus size women because black is great for a base

Spanx are your friend, get as many as you can when they are on sale or buy similar fitting things. If you have a waist, belt everything, it will give you more of a shape. Also, when you accessorize, pick one statement piece like a bold necklace since you are smaller breasted and keep earrings simple

I am bouncing between sixteen and eighteen depending on the label(better labels have smaller fit). I shop at the following stores(sales for the expensive ones)- Old Navy/Gap/Banana for basic things; forever 21 plus for statement pieces leggings, and tanks(five bucks); pinupgirlclothing.com for pencil skirts, dresses, sweaters; Macys/Bloomingdales/Nordstrom for collection things that I will keep; torrid.com only for boots; I also love these sale stores- Off Fifth/Nordstrom Off The Rack/Century 21 stores like that where you will find something amazing at a great price but it is hit or miss and you have to be selective(I have more stores that I like and accessory labels I love but I can not share everything)

The items from torrid and every other similar store come from the same private label companies. Torrid marks the price up significantly. The quality is terrible for what you buy

It is about finding what is best for your fit while being fashionable. You want to what we call, mix high and low- classic things you might already have with trendy pieces(one trend per outfit). It is not only what you wear but how you wear it- make sure the fit is good, your accessories work with your outfit, your makeup is neat if minimal, your bag and shoes work, and that your hair is cohesive with what you wear

Getting away from lane bryant will be the best thing you can do because the fit is very boxy

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Marshall's Women's size section is a lot better than Target. In fact, I was shopping for shorts the other day, and the colors in the plus section were really good. (I am a mini size, but I look in ALL stores/sections for stuff -- sometimes the colors and accessories are better in the Women's sections.)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It does depend a lot on your shape and, unfortunately, a lot of places (especially the more affordable) do just size up the entire garment - leaving the small-boobed or slight-shouldered or narrow-backed or short-legged (etc.) woman having to treasure hunt for stuff that doesn't drown out her womanly shape in yards of material.

Years and years ago, my mother was looking for something to wear to my wedding - a plus-size friend of hers was a snappy dresser and always in well-fitting clothes. Mum asked her advice, she recommend Evans (mentioned above) and 2 or 3 maternity stores / departments. My mum shopped in a place in Dublin called Blooms (no longer there, I fear) and looked lovely at my wedding - she also bought a few suits and such for work and they were great too.

I have a similar shape to my mother, the majority of my excess weight goes on my belly - I keep my hour glass, my boobs stay a nice shape, my arms don't carry much, my thighs and butt fill out but don't go rolly or blobby at all - it mostly stays in the 'apple' in the middle. At my heaviest the generic plus size in France seemed to want to be in a size 50 to 52 to look OK on my belly - it felt like trying on a freakin' tent and very few things in that size flattered my bust of curves. But a size 46/48 (or even 44) from the maternity department was perfect. And they make such cute stuff for pregnant women. Trousers are a different deal, but I have some lovely blouses and tops that looked great on me at my fattest and still are completely wearable 25lbs lighter. Of course they are designed to work the other way around, encompassing the belly as it gets bigger but my way works too :)

So all that is my long-winded way of saying check out the maternity wear section in stores you like. :smile:

A note on Evans in the UK/Ireland - they have a really good mix of styles, shapes, different ranges for different ages and occasions. One very stylish transvestite I knew swore by their stuff and 2 drag queens found it a good place to shop for the basic items, too. So - good for men, too. :smile: