Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BigA, Dec 8, 2006.

1. BigA

BigA New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    man. i tried to start a blog on myspace, but it's obvious noone really cares. So if u can read/critique my play I'd love to hear

edit: i post this here because i think there are some really intelligent, thoughtful posters hand I played poorly
    It is a 10-handed 5/10 game. I'm dealt [Kh, Qh] in middle position. A player in early position raises. I call.

This play is suspect. It has been a solid table with not a lot of players seeing the flop. Typically someone open raises and it folds around to the big blind. Although I have a good hand, it is more profitable in a multiway pot when no one has shown strength in front of me. I am likely to be dominated against an early position raiser.

Everyone else folds. The flop comes [5h, Js, 7h]. A great flop for me. I have a flush draw and two over cards. My opponent bets and I raise.

This is a good play. This raise builds the pot if I make my flush on the turn. And if I don't, it is likely he will check to me on the next street where I can continue the semi bluff or take a free card if I wish.

The turn comes [9d]. I haven't made my flush but I pick up a straight draw. He checks. I decide to check and take the free card.

I probably should have bet. I very well could have gotten him to fold now that the size of the bet has doubled. I was worried that he might be a calling station and would call me down with a,k or a,q, or, that he had a strong hand like a big pocket pair or a set and was waiting to check/ raise me on the turn. In either case, betting here would not be a disaster since I still had a very good draw.

The turn came a total blank. He checked and I, frustrated to have missed my hand, made a hopeless bluff. This could not have been convincing since I checked when the turn came [9d]. He called with a,q and took it down.

A tough hold em hand
    Category: Games
    I am playing a six-handed 10/20 game and am dealt pocket sevens. First and second position limps in and it folds to the small blind who limps in. I raise. Everyone calls. There are 8 small bets in the pot.

The flop comes [2d, 10d, 6s]. Small blind checks. My hand is decent but vulnerable at this point. I bet to see where I'm at. 1st limper calls, second limper calls, small blind folds. I wish that I could have taken it down right there but am relieved that no one raised. I feel I am probably good.

The turn comes [3s]. This seems like a pretty good card. It does not complete a flush and does not put another over card to my sevens. I bet. First player folds. Second player raises. This is a tough spot.

If the first player were still in, I think it would be an easy fold. But with him out, the second player may think he can take it with a raise if I hadn't made anything.

Sevens may seem like a meager holding, but would the decision be any different if I had a premium pair like aces? Not really. I think him having a ten is out of the question at this point since he would have raised me on the flop to protect his hand -- unless he is a timid player who was worried about me holding a higher pocket pair -- in which case he wouldnt have decided to raise me on the turn. Either he made two pair or better, or was on a bluff/semi-bluff.

Could the [3s] on the turn have helped him? A straight is now possible but unlikely. The most reasonable hand that could have me beat right now is a set that he flopped (2,2 or 6,6) and was slow playing until now. I decided the pot was already pretty big (seven big bets) so I called.

Since I called the turn I was certainly going to call him on the river regardless of what came off. It was [10s] which paired the board, giving me tens and sevens. I checked. He bet. I called. He turned over the 6c, 3c. Giving him tens and sixes. I won.

This was certainly an impossible hand to put him on. perhaps, in retrospect, I should have actually given more consideration to 4,5. Since a player had limped in in front of him, this may encourage a loose player to do the same with a small suited connector like 4,5. 3,6 should be unthinkable in any position except the blinds.

His bet on the river was also poor. The [10s] was a horrible card for him. He should have, correctly, put me on a pocket pair bigger than sixes, and known that I would not fold at this point.

Obviously, the outcome was beautiful for me. Was my play (the decisive point being his raise on the turn) good in the long run? I'm not sure.

Given what he had, my call was correct, just barely. any 10,2 or 7 would have given me the best hand -- about a seven to one shot. The pot was currently offering seven to one
    This is not really important though. I was worried about drawing dead or to two outs.
Draft saved Draft deleted