Police arrest "dead" (lost and now 'found') canoeist

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Dec 5, 2007.

1. dong20

Gold Member

2. Osiris

Gold Member

Reginald Perrin fan? No one is a Reginald Perrin fan.

I didn't get to where I am today by being a Reginald Perrin fan. :biggrin1:

That article was SUPAH!

OK, so I may have watched a bit of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.

That article is wild though. Why would they arrest him if he has no memory? Was there a crime associated with his disappearance?

3. dong20

Gold Member

I watched it once or twice but wasn't a fan!

I think there is some suspicion of financial shenanigans. I've not paid much attention until the 'convenient' amnesia made the news. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

4. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

It does sound a bit suspect. If he had no memory how could he survive in what I suppose was a wilderness...You'd think he'd have died or be malnourished after five years.

It is very suspicious. Apparently there's a picture of him with his wife in Panama in 2005. Police are analysing it. She claims she accepted life insurance thinking he was dead.

But if he did fake his death to get the life insurance, why did he "resurface"?
    Has the amnesia made him stupid? lol

5. dong20

Gold Member

Maybe it's real amnesia now and thus he forgot he faked it then? Oops!

6. Osiris

Gold Member

7. dong20

Gold Member

On the tube I was reading one of the free papers and there is an article about this, complete with them posing for a photo in Panama last year with the agent for the property his wife purchased!!

Extradition is being considered, but I doubt it will be possible. Since 1907 when the policy came into effect no one has been extradited from Pamana to the UK, so I believe!

It makes one wonder what on earth he was doing walking into a police station...maybe he figured they would believe because otherwise it would be such a dense thing to do. It's a laugh, either way!

8. dong20

Gold Member

Mystery (not that it really ever was a mystery) solved.

"The wife of "back-from-the-dead" canoeist John Darwin has admitted to knowing he was alive - and said she fears her children will never forgive her. Anne Darwin is said to have come clean after a picture was discovered showing the couple in Panama in 2006 - three years after he was declared dead.

"My sons will never forgive me. They knew nothing," the 55-year-old told reporters.

"They thought John was dead. Now they are going to hate me." John Darwin's father Ronnie, 90, was shocked at the news saying: "I can't believe his wife lived down the road from me and said nothing if she knew he was alive."

Mrs Darwin, who moved to Panama just weeks ago, also admitted cashing in a life insurance policy - but says she got the money in good faith."

I love that rationalisation.

Canoeist John Darwin's Wife Anne Knew He Was Alive - Yahoo! News UK

9. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

From a slightly-off Reggie Perrin scenario to a slightly-off Fawlty Towers quote within just three days. There's progress for you. :rolleyes:

I love the fact that it took a Google image search using the words John, Anne, Panama, to locate the incriminating photo.

The only real mystery remains... why the heck did he walk into the police station?!?!

10. dong20

Gold Member

Maybe he considered amnesia would constitute plausible deniability?

Of course it's clear that he didn't realise that once something is posted online it's almost never forgotten! I tried the google search, the thumbnail appears but not the full image and
    www.movetopanama.com is 'offline'.

Clearly these people are not the sharpest tools in the box. Had they moved to Barcelona, the irony would have been too much to bear.

11. thedrainman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Apparently this case had been under investigation for several months prior to his appearance. Perhaps he decided to come clean and face the music, but playing the amnesia card is a pretty weak way out!

12. Osiris

Gold Member

That's what happens when Basil and Sybil give Manuel a camera. Incriminating photos turn up and Manuel posts them online. Good thing he hasn't discovered YouTube. :biggrin1:

This has now gone Monty Python's Flying Circus. I'd say there is a village needing it's idiot back.:biggrin1:

13. dong20

Gold Member

14. southwest

southwest New Member

News report just in....
    John Darwin has turned up after 5 years of being missing, presumed dead, he says it's the last time he goes on holiday with the McCanns....

Draft saved Draft deleted