Police Brutality

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Incocknito, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Incocknito

Gold Member

Well I was watching a TV program just now (Caught on Camera: Chaos in Courts episode).

It featured the story of Esteban Carpio. The backstory is that he was in an interview with a detective (the detective's partner had left the room for a drink). Somehow Carpio locked the door from the inside, took the detectives gun and shot him dead. Carpio then jumped out of a third story window and fled.

An hour later he was captured and somtime thereafter (I'm guessing days or weeks at the most judging from his injuries).

His injuries are very severe. Police (and even a subsequent FBI investigation) concluded that the injuries were the result of his three storey fall and "necessary force" used by the police in capturing him.

Note that Carpio is also wearing a "spit shield"...police said because he was being "combative" and spitting at them but it looks to me like it is just hiding more injuries.

Link: Police Brutality (and Atrocity) Blog: American Justice? Esteban Carpio - Was he railroaded?

So...

What do you think?

Is police brutality ever justified?

2. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    Detroit cops killed a little girl in a no-knock raid, BART officers have killed people like Oscar Grant who were FACE DOWN ON THE GROUND, on and on. They just beat and tazered a crazy homeless man to death too.

Cops are out of control.

3. tbrguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Quote:

So...

What do you think?

Is police brutality ever justified?"
    End quote.

Is that a serious question?

So long as we are agreed that brutality means stuff that goes beyond reasonable force.

Then the answer is "of course not".

So, what would you expect anyone to answer?

Does it surprise me? No. but that's a whole different thread.

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Can you tell us why anyone should care about this guy?

There are millions of people suffering through no fault of their own in the world every day.

This guy should be shitting himself because they left him to live.

5. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

ask the wife and kids of the detective he murdered if they think the beating was too much.

6. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Any cop would give him a beating, rightly so.

7. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    was he railroaded? are you kidding me? he murdered someone, and im supposed to feel bad for him? fuck that.

its too bad RI doesnt have the death penalty.

8. Klingsor

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's not just about this one nasty guy. The point is, if they can do it to him and get away with it, they can do it to any number of other, less heinous people and get away with it. How "good" do you have to be before you're entitled to protection under the law?

9. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    Shit, around here, when you get arrested, and are not 110% compliant, you will get carried outside the camera's view and gut punched, or rapped on the skull with a baton. It sucks, but it goes hand in hand with with breaking the law. What is really scary though is the oc spray and those damned tasers.

10. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The problem when police do not respect the law is that innocent people will be treated unjustly. Guaranteed. The question is where you choose to place the balance of protections for the innocent, because the better you protect them the better you protect the guilty too. The other issue is a question of respect for the law. When the law is seen to lock up, beat or kill innocent people the entire system is undermined and all society loses faith in it. So then why would anyone help the police?

11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

You would be correct if this were indeed a case of police brutality, but it is not. It is a case of revenge first anf their being police officers second. Their friend/colleague was murdered by this piece of shit. As i said, leaving him with an irrelevant nothing existence for the next fifty years is the worst punishment.

12. Klingsor

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see the distinction. If you use excessive force, beat up a suspect in your custody, for whatever reason, however understandable--that's police brutality. Isn't it?

13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Well, yes.

I don't know what you do, but let's say you are an accountant. Should I refer everything you do to the fact that you are an accountant?

These guys are alleged to have taken revenge, taken the law into their own hands against someone who murdered one of their colleagues. Even the boys at KPMG might have done the same.

I wouldn't put this in the same place as police using excessive force, tear gas etc against peaceful demonstrators for example.

Draft saved Draft deleted