Polish President, Lech Kaczynski and several others, killed in plane crash

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Northland, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Northland

Gold Member

Polish President Lech Kaczynski and many other of its leaders were killed in a plane crash Saturday as they headed to ceremonies marking the World War II massacre (The Katyn Masacre) by the Soviets of thousands of Polish officers.

Born June 18, 1949 in Warsaw, President of Poland since December 2005, he was also former Mayor of Warsaw, and earned his PhD at The University of Gdansk in 1976

"The Polish president, Lech Kaczynski, and his wife were among 96 people killed when their plane crashed in thick fog on its approach to a regional airport in Russia early this morning.

The Polish government will hold an emergency meeting later today. Officials said the head of the Polish army, the governor of the central bank and the head of the presidential administration were also on board the plane, as well as Kaczynski, his wife and the families of other senior officials
    ."

Polish president Lech Kaczynski killed in plane crash | World news | guardian.co.uk

May his soul find eternal peace, and may his family and loved ones as well as the nation of Poland find strength to move forward.

(moderators, move this to politics if it's deemed more fitting there, thank you)

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh no! That's sad. :( He was quite an interesting character.

Hmm, he was quite anti-EU, wonder what changes the next President will bring, unless his twin brother can stand in for a while?

3. mattflanders

mattflanders Member

Albums:
    Last time I checked Poland wasn't a monarchy so I don't think his brother will stand in for him. There'll be new elections probably.

Anyways, this is a tragic accident: the death toll is thought to be 96 already...

4. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

I read that this morning and felt saddened by it.My parents are Polish and no doubt my grandad will be devastated by the news.

5. Hotrocker

Hotrocker Well-Known Member

Albums:
    This is terrible news. My condolences go to the Poles and those who lost family in the crash.

6. Northland

Gold Member

Well, considering that Jaroslaw was PM for a time and therefore has some level of understanding of the workings of Poland, it might be an interesting turn of events (I wonder if the twin thing in politics has ever been done before).

According to the latest news, the Presidential elections, slated for later this year are to be moved to an earlier date (as required by their-Poland's- constitution). Among those scheduled to run are the Parliamentary Speaker, Bronislaw Komorowski, who has now assumed the leadership of Poland.

It will be interesting to watch as the future of Poland unfolds, depending on how the next administration interacts with not only the EU and NATO; but, the entire planet.

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yup, I agree. Also, since his brother was PM (as you stated) a couple of years ago, he would have more idea than most of how to keep things stable as an interim measure.

It is terribly sad, and my heart does go out to his family, those who lost loved ones, and also to the Polish ppl. Don't think I made that very clear before. :redface:

8. conntom

Gold Member

Sad day but I think we all know this will turn into more Polish jokes...

Did they have their own version of AF One?

Since he was anti-EU I wonder what conspiracy theories will come of this.

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Kaczynski's wife Maria, along with Slawomir Skrzypek, 47, the central bank governor, the chief of Poland's military Franciszek Gagor, and Deputy Foreign Minister Andrzej Kremer also died.

There were also 88 members of a delegation to commemorate those thousands of Poles killed in the Katyn massacre under Stalin's orders in 1940, some of them relatives of the slaughtered.

And it sounds like pilot error. Apparently, the plane was advised that the fog was too thick for landing and to go to alternate airports, but the pilot insisted on landing anyway.

10. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They don't have a Vice President or someone else in line to take over?

11. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Northland answered this.

12. sxjTheFirst

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have heard of him for his anti-gay views. A tragedy because anyway they will find someone worse to replace him.

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Thats very sad news.

14. D_Sparroe Spongecaques

They have already started circulating.....revolting and so not funny

15. Northland

Gold Member

It is still an unknown. An election can change things.

16. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

Its made things very interesting. Its very sad. Its almost mad that they were all on one plane.

A plane which was around 30 years old if im not mistaken. Seems quite old for a presidential plane

17. FBAnder

FBAnder Member

Albums:
    Sad day for the Polish people...ironic this happened during a memorial visit.

18. FBAnder

FBAnder Member

Albums:
    They cant afford new planes. Some countries dont just spend spend spend to suit their purpose. I am sure they will scrap up the funds for a new presidential aircraft in light of this incident.

19. lovenuts50

lovenuts50 Active Member

Albums:
    how convenient for czar putin

20. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

I was thinking that. We shouldnt be like that, but almost all things with Russia are suspicious.

Draft saved Draft deleted