Political affiliation?

What is you political offilliation?

• Total voters

zaphod

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It would be interesting to know the where most members of lpsg are on the political scale. I am guessing it would be pretty liberal, but it would be nice to see a poll. I consider myself a libertarian mostly.

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The terms liberal, conservative, etc. mean different things depending on what part of the u.s. or world you live in. A conservative in Texas is generally more conservative than a conservative in New York. So if your a conservative in NY, I would probably consider you a moderate. But a moderate in Texas is considered a screamin liberal down here in the Lone Star State.....see what I mean you bunch of damn pinko-commies?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a little more complex than the offered categories. Fiscally, I'm very conservative. Socially, I'm very liberal leaning toward radical.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Liberal, Conservative, Libertarian, and when I'm pissed off at "the system" Anarchist ... all apply to me. Maybe the poll should allow multiple choices?

T

that_other_guy

DC_DEEP said:
I'm a little more complex than the offered categories. Fiscally, I'm very conservative. Socially, I'm very liberal leaning toward radical.

I was under the impression that that is what libertarianism is ... which is what I am ... :biggrin1:

Ummagumma

Experimental Member
Media
John Jackson: "It's time someone had the courage to stand up and say: I'm against those things that everybody hates."
Jack Johnson: "Now, I respect my opponent. I think he's a good man. But quite frankly, I agree with everything he just said."
John Jackson: "I say your three cent titanium tax goes too far."
Jack Johnson: "And I say your three cent titanium tax doesn't go too far enough."
I find voting to be highly overrated unless it's in message board poll form, where even here my one vote is quite insignificant. When the government needs me to go kill some people, however, they know where to find me.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
that_other_guy said:
I was under the impression that that is what libertarianism is ... which is what I am ... :biggrin1:
Maybe, somewhat... but the "Libertarian" party in this country could better be described as a cross between an anarchist and a reactionary-right republican. Funny thing, they seem to be hard-core supporters of rights... as long as it's their own.

T

that_other_guy

DC_DEEP said:
Maybe, somewhat... but the "Libertarian" party in this country could better be described as a cross between an anarchist and a reactionary-right republican. Funny thing, they seem to be hard-core supporters of rights... as long as it's their own.

I'm for everybody having their rights ... no matter what ... and the "conservatives" have driven the nation into debt like no other ... I personally wouldn't refer to myself as a reactionary republican based just on their horrid fiscal responsibility :eek:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
that_other_guy said:
I'm for everybody having their rights ... no matter what ... and the "conservatives" have driven the nation into debt like no other ... I personally wouldn't refer to myself as a reactionary republican based just on their horrid fiscal responsibility :eek:
Heheh, well, not everyone seems to agree on my definition of "rights." So long as it affects no other person but myself, I claim it as my right. So long as it only concerns me and another consenting adult, in the privacy of my own home, I claim it as my right. I guess maybe I'm closer to anarchist than I thought.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
DC_DEEP said:
Heheh, well, not everyone seems to agree on my definition of "rights." So long as it affects no other person but myself, I claim it as my right. So long as it only concerns me and another consenting adult, in the privacy of my own home, I claim it as my right. I guess maybe I'm closer to anarchist than I thought.

Very Libertarian, imho.
(That's of course just half the slice of being Libertarian, but the rarer part.)

Hjalmar

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm totally in the middle of the road.

I think, if you look at the world today, with everything that's happening... you realize that every politcal party is the same crap.

Comunism was a great idea on paper, but it's prooved it doesn't work in actual states. It doesn't work for a whole country. So does (or doesn't) capitalism, if we still have the idea that capitalism as the conservative ideal, and comunism as the liberal one, which of course is totally out of date.

Now, if a party has to change his mind to get some votes, they will. They will all sell his soul to govern.

So, as an egoistic (my phylosophy of life), I just fote for the one I think it's just best for me.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:

I haven't seen much evidence of ANY of our political parties not being guilty of that, they ALL do it. It makes me feel filthy to associate with any of them.
Philosophically, I might be closer to a libertarian than any other option, but we lack a political party that is not covered in slime. I think we're getting pretty damned close to a "do over".

Or of course, one side or the other could just magically decide to stop lying to the American people. Or said people could just magically decide to remove their heads from their asses. Nah.

Welcome, Hjalmar- always nice when newer members have something to say.

Hjalmar

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I guess we see things much different from here, from Europe. You Americans were on a war against a comunist country (OK, a "Cold" one, but it was a war either) for almost all the 20th century... so, I guess you there don't have a "left" party as we could have here in Europe.

The problem is that I don't know if this is either good or bad. As everything, maybe it's just relative.

Here we don't have many real politica issues. This is small. Only 350.000 ppl living here... So, our PM can resing after his party's bad results in the local elections (since June we have a new PM, Geir Haard), and that's not a big deal...

Anyway, at this times where it seems you have to pick a side. Either you suppor americans, or you hate them to death. And that's insane. First of all, Bush is not all the Americans, and not all of you think like him, so, why judge?

You can play policy-fiction and guess that todays polarization of the world is a consequence of the Americans trying to find a new "enemy", since the USSR fell, they didn't have one. Now you have a new enemy, terrorism, and a new "most wanted", as in western films...

The main thing today is just to don't sit down and swallow all that TV sais, all that politician say... the thing is just find answers to your questions, reading, watching, questioning...

After all this, picking a party to vote is just a list of pros and cons, but not as if it was a religion or something.

A little confussing, maybe, but that's what I think :)

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't really identify with any official party anymore. Most are far too interested in gaining personal power and wealth, at least those in power in the parties, than in actually serving the public interest. If I had to identify with a philosophy, not necessarily that parties implementation of that philosophy, I'd lean towrds libertarian---I don't think everybody is entitled to be taken care of just because they exist, but then, I feel a society has responsibility to its members, and vica versa, as well. It is a tough balancing act that we as stupid humans haven't been able to figure out yet.

Pensive Josh

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would consider myself something like a liberal/libertarian. I'm socially very liberal, but fiscally I'm more conservative. I think it's important to recognize that everything is not black and white because people today are so polarized with their views, and it creates a lot of friction. What is even worse is that politicians nowadays (with a few exceptions) are so afraid to step on any toes that it takes forever to get anything done.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I prefer to be labeled "liberal democrat" with some caveats. Socially left. Economically in the center. Less government is better overall, but I want environmental regulations and think they should keep a close eye on corporate activity (can you say Enron?). Government should provide us the best schools possible and a strong national defense not based on lies. My federal taxes should not have to pay for bike paths in Idaho or to do studies on monkey sperm counts etc etc.

I want them out of my personal life. Is liberal now what conservative used to be?

Barry Goldwater wrote an excellent piece in the Washington Post years ago when the "gays in the military" thing first started. He earned my respect forever when I read that. He basically said that government had no business being involved in this issue. He was right.

So maybe I am a true old style conservative. I dunno. Maybe, I'm just fucked up. :smile: