Political Cartoons We'd Like to See

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Describe a political cartoon you wish someone would do.

One I have hoped to see for a few years now is the following:

A giant pick-up truck is speeding down the road. It looks shiny and new, like it has never been off of the road, but it clearly has a huge engine and has "4WD" prominently displayed on the tail gate. There is no cargo in the bed, there are no passengers with the driver, and bumper stickers say "Bush/Cheney" and "Support Our Troops."

Beside the road, perhaps struggling to get out of the way of the speeding pick-up, is a double amputee in a wheelchair. She is clearly a veteran of the Iraq war.

The title would be, "What We Are Fighting For."

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Describe a political cartoon you wish someone would do.

One I have hoped to see for a few years now is the following:

A giant pick-up truck is speeding down the road. It looks shiny and new, like it has never been off of the road, but it clearly has a huge engine and has "4WD" prominently displayed on the tail gate. There is no cargo in the bed, there are no passengers with the driver, and bumper stickers say "Bush/Cheney" and "Support Our Troops."

Beside the road, perhaps struggling to get out of the way of the speeding pick-up, is a double amputee in a wheelchair. She is clearly a veteran of the Iraq war.

The title would be, "What We Are Fighting For."
and so begins another day of Bush bashing. You still haven't fully explained Old Hillary's initial vote yet though (nor has she).

Another cartoon would of course be of Nancy Pelosi in her arrogance abounding...but there are far too many cartoons one could make of such a grandstanding cartoonish figure.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
and so begins another day of Bush bashing.

Bush bashing?! Oh, no, good fellow, Bush is only a symptom here. We are all called into account by this situation.

You still haven't fully explained Old Hillary's initial vote yet though (nor has she).

Perhaps you could use that as grist for another cartoon. You must mistake me for someone else, though. I do not feel responsible for her vote or any explanation of it.

Another cartoon would of course be of Nancy Pelosi in her arrogance abounding...but there are far too many cartoons one could make of such a grandstanding cartoonish figure.

So, pick one and describe it.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Bush bashing?! Oh, no, good fellow, Bush is only a symptom here. We are all called into account by this situation.
True, true. I just get an uneasy feeling around these parts when anything remotely condemning of Junior appears--

Perhaps you could use that as grist for another cartoon. You must mistake me for someone else, though. I do not feel responsible for her vote or any explanation of it.

So, pick one and describe it.
Now, why would you think I am mistaking you for someone else unless you are indeed someone else?

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
True, true. I just get an uneasy feeling around these parts when anything remotely condemning of Junior appears--

because... why? Do you feel you need to defend W? Do you sense the implicit condemnation of the American Way that resonates when his actions are condemned? He may not be a true representation of the US or its citizens, but we did allow him to be our figurehead; thus, we do bear some responsibility for his and his administration's actions.

Now, why would you think I am mistaking you for someone else unless you are indeed someone else?

You suggest I should explain Hillary's vote. I do not live in New York State: she is not my senator. I was not in support of that vote when it was taken. I am not necessarily a supporter of her bid for the presidency. Thus, not only am I not you (so, to you, yes, I am indeed "someone else"), but I am also not someone who feels obliged to defend, explain, or justify her vote.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Nancy is on the steps to Air Force One leading a long line of children and grandchildren. W is on the tarmac surrounded by stunned Secret Service and saying, "But, but..."

See, Onslow, it's not that hard to have a sense of humor.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
because... why? Do you feel you need to defend W? Do you sense the implicit condemnation of the American Way that resonates when his actions are condemned? He may not be a true representation of the US or its citizens, but we did allow him to be our figurehead; thus, we do bear some responsibility for his and his administration's actions.
and so at this point Male Bonding proves my point completely (although I as always am unsure what it might be or might some day hopefully be).

You suggest I should explain Hillary's vote. I do not live in New York State: she is not my senator. I was not in support of that vote when it was taken. I am not necessarily a supporter of her bid for the presidency. Thus, not only am I not you (so, to you, yes, I am indeed "someone else"), but I am also not someone who feels obliged to defend, explain, or justify her vote.
Yoohoo--I never said you were from New York. I was responding to your comment 'You must mistake me for someone else', and my direct question to you, without any mention of Hillary or anyone else was--and I quote my fabulous self here-- "Now, why would you think I am mistaking you for someone else unless you are indeed someone else?"
Really darling, you are far too touchy on that one--which tells me more, much more than you perhaps meant to reveal.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If Ann Coulter could turn out to be male and 56... hmmm... sorry, no, you don't really know as much about me as you insinuate... but, really, quit trying to hijack the thread. Share a cartoon idea, or analyze my political motives on a different one.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Nancy Pelosi is at the rostrum saying "We will NOT employ the tactics used by the Republicans when they were in the majority...." Meanwhile Republican Reps are waving their hands trying to be recognized and being ignored.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
See, Onslow, it's not that hard to have a sense of humor.

If you think you just demonstrated a sense of humor ... don't quit your day job.

A political cartoon should offer some insight, a new perspective, a cogent comment on current affairs, or anything besides a platform for the cartoonist's tedious rants about his peevish hates. Those are what bumper stickers are for.

Good drawing can make up for a paucity of any other merit, although it's a stretch - as the late Jeff MacNelly pointed out, his readers expected him to come up with pithy commentary on the news of the day, which was asking a bit much of an art major. Of course he actually did draw cartoons, rather than just talk about them.

But if you think you have something to say, by all means keep trying to say it. It's a bit like watching a spastic trying to negotiate a turnstile, though.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If you think you just demonstrated a sense of humor ... don't quit your day job.

Well, yes, if I thought I had a talent for DRAWING political cartoons I'd be out there trying to do just that... IF I thought it would be more satisfying than my "day job." At the risk of attracting more of your supercilious scorn, I will try to explain the HUMOR (as I, in my paucity of imagination, saw it), in the IDEA for that cartoon:

Ms. Pelosi has tried to get special flying accodation not only for herself but also for her family and retinue. As Onslow (presuming, I suppose, that I was incapable of seeing fault or humor in any Democrat's actions) was suggesting she was arrogant, I chose to demonstrate that I could come up with something even if he could not. Bush saying "But, but..." was not intended (as I suspect you believe) to show him as stupid or inept, but merely shocked, as any president would be, at having the Speaker of the House commandeering Air Force One.

Clearly, the same inability to address political issues with any sense of civility or humor exists here, just as it does in the general population. To me that is a sad state of affairs. Our elected officials become ineffectual because they no longer can find a way to compromise or reach consensus. Instead, they insult and belittle, and we mirror that behavior... or they mirror ours. It is not uplifting or enlightening.

Political cartoons can allow us to see another perspective SOMEtimes because we are laughing as we become aware of their direct and subtle messages. Sometimes they address critical issues in a visceral way that cannot with discretion be shown in photographs. Occasionally even the best cartoonists miss their mark.

So, have no fear BD, I am not quitting my day job. However, I still think there are some talented people here who can conceive of some funny, thought-provoking, astute, and aware cartoons. There may even be some people here who can translate the words into mental images of what such a cartoon just might look like.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A political cartoon I would like to see:

A Democrat with his head buried in the sand with the caption Pre 9-11 side by side with a Democrat with his head buried in the sand with the caption Post 9-11.

Another cartoon I'd like to see is a Republican double jointed and kissing his own ass with the caption Life Is Good.

A caricature (sp) of Al Franken getting millions of dollars for his up coming run for political office with a couple boy scouts in the background wondering if he is going to pay them back.

A cartoon with the Iranian President and the North Korean dictator playing chess on a map of the world with nuclear bombs as the game pieces.

A cartoon of border Patrol agents helping illegal aliens cross the border with the caption: It's better than going to jail for DOING my job.

A cartoon of a new born baby's room in the hospital with three or four different babies annoucing that they are the front running for President in the year 2044.

A picture of a bottle of beer with the following warning label on it:
Do not drive after drinking. The drinking of beer has been known to lead to: waking up next to an ugly person, rape, pedophilia, gambling, homosexuality, drug use, hypocrisy and anything else that person doesn't want to take personal responsiblity for.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anytime.

If I could draw better than stick figures, I'd be making political cartoons hand over fist.

Nothing more wicked than a gay republican with a twisted sense of humor!

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You could make a cartoon out of the second post of this thread and have the commentary be on the fact that some people don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that supporting the troops has absolutely nothing at all to do with supporting George W Bush and his policies that have led to the needless deaths of thousands of US servicemen and women.

Or the fact that when given the option between making the troops feel good about themselves through empty rhetoric and actually treating them as if their lives count for something, many seem to think that the former is the better way to show support.

Funny? Maybe not. But it is laughable.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A picture of a military man from the front with the caption: I'm glad I have the support of my elected officials. Then a shot from the side which shows a knife in his back from each of the politicians that voted for the non binding resolution against them.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You could make a cartoon out of the second post of this thread and have the commentary be on the fact that some people don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that supporting the troops has absolutely nothing at all to do with supporting George W Bush and his policies that have led to the needless deaths of thousands of US servicemen and women.
Do your self a favor oh ye of questionable I.Q.; do not, I repeat, DO NOT, ever presume to know what I think or what concepts I do or do not have an ability to grasp hold of. My comments to Male Bonding were in response to what I was seeing at the time as another one sided attack. Since that posting he has explained that he meant any and all political cartoons regardless of political party affiliation. After Male Bonding's response, I felt there was no need to add further commentary and so I did not. SKLAR did a superb job in adding to this thread in the correct manner. As you may have noticed, I even took a quick jesting jab at myself in one of my responses. Of course that does not fall in with the one sided narrow minded views which you desire to have so...

I am; however, quite honored (HA!) by the fact that you singled out my post.

In a nutshell--get over yourself kid. You aren't even half of what you pretend to be.