political correctness is going too far

Discussion in 'Politics' started by surferboy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yahoo!

apparently, there's a huge controversy about those new burger king ads where they find "whopper virgins." i do agree that it's effed up that a burger king can spend millions on this ad campaign when those organizations that try for feed the world can't raise the money. but come on peoples. it's a commercial. and by talking about it, you're full on falling for what they wanted you for do. and you're essentially giving them free advertisement by showing the commercials again!

anyway, my point is, political correctness is going a little too far. yes, it sucks that there's hunger in the world. and yes, there should be awareness raised.

and i'm even more against the FCC telling me what i can and cannot listen to on the radio or watch on tv. if you don't wanna hear a bad word, then don't listen or watch the program. don't be such bitches to where you have to be all "ooo, i don't wanna have to talk to my kid about the meaning behind these words, so i'll just take the easy way out and just make it so no one will have to hear it!"

and of course, networks follow suit. why? because advertisers will pull their money out. like when don imus got fired for his "nappy headed ho" comment. was it stupid? absolutely! but it was also part of his job, yah? he's a fuckin shock jock! but then came along jesse jackson and al sharpton, two of the most racist and sensationalist peoples in our country, and start shit by saying "he should be fired for what he said!" really? isn't there an amendment that protects free speech? oh wait, there is, but only as long as it doesn't make people withdraw money. it happened to bill maher back when he was on ABC.

ok, now that my rant is over, where can i find a fire-proof blanket? i think i'm gonna need it

2. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    The FCC (AKA the Republicans pet Chihuahua) needs to shut the fuck up. They're irrelevant. They don't even uphold their own standards.

I agree PCness has gone WAAAY too far. That Mr. T Snickers commecial was pulled because gay people got up in a tizzy about him shooting snickers out of a cannon to whip a jogger into shape.

People have paper-thin sensibilities that fray and tear at the slightest change of the wind.

3. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Last I checked 99% of the political correctness comes from the left.

Nice try.

4. faceking

Albums:
    Wasn't Tipper Gore who wanted to pretty much ban 50% of the music put out a few decades ago.

Oh wait, you weren't around then. Sorry.

5. sparky11point5

sparky11point5 New Member

This is not an example of 'politically correct' censorship, just some better public manners. I think it matters how you act in civil society, because people don't have a 'choice' to witness your behavior or not. I think this is reasonable to be extended to certain media. You guys are clearly not parents.

6. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh really? Who's running the FCC? What left-wing entity are you accusing of censorship? I'd be happy to acknowledge them if you'd name them specifically, like I did.

7. faceking

Albums:

Rubbish... public nudity on the streets of San Francisco in front of children of all ages (see Bay to Breakers), is a fucking right you nazi. NAMBLA abound...

8. faceking

Albums:
    You aren't serious now are you.

Political correctness was the OP at hand, not censorship. Get your fucking story straight dipshit.

9. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Political correctness and censorship go hand in hand, and censorship BECAUSE of PC was the constant undertone of the OP.

Pull your head out of the fungal cave that is your dried up crusty ass and think for a second. Don't try playing the smartass, you've got the ass part down but the smart....not so much.

It was cute that you tried though, want a Scooby snack? Huh boy? Want a Scooby snack? Whoshaguboy? Huh? Whoshaguboy?

10. faceking

Albums:

Originally perhaps. But nowadays, political correctness is "sensitivity" not silence. You know it, I know it, and the American ppl know it.

11. faceking

Albums:
    Political correctness is having 5 ppl in a TV ad, and all 5 of different races. Not allowing a Popeye's ad to allow for 5 black ppl in the commercial.
    Political correctnees is saying partner vs spouse.
    Political correctnees is not be able to say a Muslim committed a crime, but easy to say a black man did. Moreover, protectionist correctness.
    Political correctnees is saying an "alleged gunman" when said gunman is holding said gun screaming I'm going to kill more
    Political correctnees is renaming the Standford Indians to a freaking color.
    Political correctnees is an ideology. Censorship is an act.

huge difference.

12. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not really, do you need me to draw a fucking diagram for you? Censorship and political correctness go hand in hand.

- censorship: the supervison of the manners, morality, or language of others

4 of your examples dealt directly with speech. Political correctness is useless if it's not enforced. Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself dude, it was funny at first but I'm starting to feel sorry for you and your oral diarrhea.

#12 marleyisalegend, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  13. faceking

Albums:
    Draw me a Venn diagram. Because you are still missing it.

14. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    You're boring now, I know you're not this stupid. Find somebody else to be your ball of yarn, kitty.

15. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Hey stupid fuck, before you reveal yourself any further as a retard, do your research on this. The FCC is a power puppet of the democratic party moron. Just ask Howard Stern. since his run in with the FCC he vowed he would never again support the democratic party and has since come over to the right side. thats what you liberal brain dead fucktards dont get... the Dems want to regulate and control EVERYTHING. If i was a sodomizing liberal reprobate that wanted govmt out of my life i would be an anarchist or a libertarian. the last thing i would be is a democrat. but you idots just eat and shit everything the left media feeds you.

#15 B_24065, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  16. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Also, have you ever noticed that the "token" black guy in all the tv ads has cool dreadlocks and is wearing Gap or Banana republic? Yeah, like this black dude even exists. they wont dare show a "real" black guy, because it would be racist and steriotypical to show a black guy limping around wearing cloths 5X too big, butchering the english language.

17. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude, Token has a fade, not dreads. Get your ethnocoif couture straight!

18. mindseye

Gold Member

'Political correctness' is a term that the right-wing uses whenever proponents on the left attempt to use language and symbols in a way that effects positive social change. However, the opponents on the right also use language and symbols to inhibit (or even reverse) positive social change:

• Calling your views 'pro-life' instead of 'anti-sex'. There's nothing pro-life about a candidate who votes for war, opposes funding for body armor, supports the death penalty, and looks the other way while detainees are being tortured. A zygote is not a baby, and embryos can't talk.
    • Complaining that these people's marriage violates some kind of 'sanctity', while these people's didn't. Claiming that having the officiant verify that one partner has a weewee and the other a hoohoodilly is 'traditional'.
    • Using the word PATRIOT to describe an act that removes basic civil liberties, while describing as unpatriotic a candidate who isn't wearing a freakin' lapel pin.
    • 'Freedom' fries. Frying potatoes in oil is, sadly, more American than supporting diplomacy over military intervention.
    • The 'Axis of Evil' -- really, why not just go all-out comic book and call them the Legion of Doom?
    See, like Michelle Malkin, message manipulation is a Republican tool, and they get testy when other people wield it. It's the usual double-standard.

19. mindseye

Gold Member

Butchering the language?

• "Won't" should contain an apostrophe.
    • "Stereotypical" is misspelled, as is "clothes".
    • "English" should be capitalized.
    I guess you are a "real" black guy after all. Unlike:

• Tiger Woods
    • Aaron McGruder
    • Quincy Jones
    • Bill Cosby
    • Colin Powell
    • Clarence Thomas
    • Derek Walcott
    • Denzel Washington
    • Forrest Whitaker
    • Wynton Marsalis
    • Kenneth Chenault
    • Charles Dutton
    • Spike Lee
    • Cuba Gooding, Jr.
    • James Earl Jones
    • Alvin Drew
    • Ephren Taylor
    • Eugene Robinson
    • Bernard Shaw
    • Keith Ellison
    • Mohammad Akhter
    • Deval Patrick
    • Allen Toussaint
    • Thomas Sowell
    • Kirk Whalum
    • John Conyers
    • Charlie Rangel,
    none of whom fit your description of a "real" black guy.

Stay classy, 24065.

20. B_Austin Blue

B_Austin Blue New Member

Don't even bother to ask Canadians what they think of Censorship. It's an ad for a burger - who cares.

Draft saved Draft deleted