D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes or no, what shapes your decision?

For me:
Yes.
I will, maybe as soon as 2009, as a local incumbent has run unopposed for two elections. Personally, that seems evidence of political apathy or a loss of connection to our traditional political culture. Also, I think we have a loss of historical memory, and combined with partisanship, has turned political candidates into an abstraction.

Even though gaining political office may not seem a practical aspiration, being an exponent of political candidacy for all shapes my decision. Foremost, I hope to demystify the nebulous process of running for office.

So, anyone else?

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
No. I live in a very corrupt county and city. An honest politician will mysteriously disappear. I certainly don't want to be president of the USA. I'd rather scrub toilets. As president, everything is always your fault. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I actually would if I felt any connection to the community I live in.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Nope.

I've taught classes ranging in size from 4 to 250, and have had enough experience speaking in front of "small crowds" to know I'm too strident and not charismatic enough to run for office and even stand a chance. I am a political-facts-and-figures junkie, though, and I could see myself as a campaign manager or a chief of staff for someone else.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No. I live in a very corrupt county and city. An honest politician will mysteriously disappear. I certainly don't want to be president of the USA. I'd rather scrub toilets. As president, everything is always your fault. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Ah, sounds vaguely like a relationship. :biggrin1:
If there were more honest politician, would they be less likely to disappear?

I actually would if I felt any connection to the community I live in.
It doesn't have to be a local thing. Would you ever consider something like an elected oversight committee or national office?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sadly, I would not run. There was a time in my younger years when I thought that would be a grand and wonderful thing.

But now? Look at what I would have to undergo:

1. Friends for life who come out for my opponent for various reasons and absolutely stunning me.

2. I would either have to bankfupt my self or sell myself to the devil raising funds to run.

3. My best friends and family would become scrutiny of thier lives. Their secrets once hidden, would be brought out into view because I wanted to run for an office. I am not goiing to to that to my friends.

4. Everythng IO every did would be put on display.

There would be at least one person in my first grade who would give
an interview about the time I wet my pants in first grade.

There would be another story told by another student about how I had
the largest, smallest or middle size dick in the shower in seventh grade.

There would be stories manufactured about love lifes I don't know
anything about.

And so the list goes but I would notnave to worry about;

1. People wanting to know why I wanted to devote my life to the service
of others.

2. People wanting to know what processes I used to formulate my
positions on any of the issues.

3. People wanting to know my "real" qualifications for the job.

I admire both McCain and Obama for running. I agreed with one in politics. I respected both as candidates. Both showed a large amount of integrity. Both are very obviously more qualified to be President then the yo yo we have in office now.

But it isn't worth it to have my life and my family and friends lives destroyed over it. The media will make sure that you life is made one great hell from the time you announce until the day you die and decades to come after that.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nope...
But I would consider a Supreme Court Justice nomination...
Psssh, we all want to be Oliver Wendell Holmes. :rolleyes: :biggrin1:
Just kidding. Would you first run for DA or the superior court route?

Nope.

I've taught classes ranging in size from 4 to 250, and have had enough experience speaking in front of "small crowds" to know I'm too strident and not charismatic enough to run for office and even stand a chance. I am a political-facts-and-figures junkie, though, and I could see myself as a campaign manager or a chief of staff for someone else.
Working on a campaign is the type of action I would love to encourage.
I think I'd just like to combat political disengagement.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Me a politician?

Naw, I don't possess the charisma. Nor do I have the confidence to bullshit my half-baked observations as if they were wisdom handed down through the ages.

It doesn't have to be a local thing. Would you ever consider something like an elected oversight committee or national office?

Certainly. I have two friends who are planning to take over the world. When they become dictators, I'm going to be the Minister of Deposed Leaders. I'll run the internment camp full of world politicians and royals and manage opposition security. It will be a good gig as I'm going to get to live in the Metropolitan Museum once it's converted into my private palace.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sadly, I would not run. There was a time in my younger years when I thought that would be a grand and wonderful thing.

But now? Look at what I would have to undergo:

1. Friends for life who come out for my opponent for various reasons and absolutely stunning me.

2. I would either have to bankfupt my self or sell myself to the devil raising funds to run.

3. My best friends and family would become scrutiny of thier lives. Their secrets once hidden, would be brought out into view because I wanted to run for an office. I am not goiing to to that to my friends.

4. Everythng IO every did would be put on display.

There would be at least one person in my first grade who would give
an interview about the time I wet my pants in first grade.

There would be another story told by another student about how I had
the largest, smallest or middle size dick in the shower in seventh grade.

There would be stories manufactured about love lifes I don't know
anything about.

And so the list goes but I would notnave to worry about;

1. People wanting to know why I wanted to devote my life to the service
of others.

2. People wanting to know what processes I used to formulate my
positions on any of the issues.

3. People wanting to know my "real" qualifications for the job.

I admire both McCain and Obama for running. I agreed with one in politics. I respected both as candidates. Both showed a large amount of integrity. Both are very obviously more qualified to be President then the yo yo we have in office now.

But it isn't worth it to have my life and my family and friends lives destroyed over it. The media will make sure that you life is made one great hell from the time you announce until the day you die and decades to come after that.
Are all of the negatives true if you run for school board, state representative, deputy major or such?

Intrusion into your private life and funding are big issues, however, as more average people run I'd hope we'd no longer insist on perfection over capability. :shrug: Funding, for the office I want, is actually provided by the local government.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Ah, sounds vaguely like a relationship. :biggrin1:
If there were more honest politician, would they be less likely to disappear?

The drug money buys the local law enforcement supervision. I live on the I-10 corridor. We are the big pipeline for drugs.

I do not want to be constantly under the microscope, and every hiccup make the news. No, I would not run for national office. I do not believe you can fix this nation until the people as a whole growup and become responsible. I am afraid that it is now too late.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Psssh, we all want to be Oliver Wendell Holmes. :rolleyes: :biggrin1:
Just kidding. Would you first run for DA or the superior court route?

No...I worked in the DA office before you could get your doctor to give you pills to erase anxiety and depression. I'm going for the SCJ...I have a feeling I could save a fortune on dry cleaning.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Me a politician?

Naw, I don't possess the charisma. Nor do I have the confidence to bullshit my half-baked observations as if they were wisdom handed down through the ages.
But you do on this site. So why not translate that to real world situations? You can do, it! :p

Certainly. I have two friends who are planning to take over the world. When they become dictators, I'm going to be the Minister of Deposed Leaders. I'll run the internment camp full of world politicians and royals and manage opposition security. It will be a good gig as I'm going to get to live in the Metropolitan Museum once it's converted into my private palace.
Mmm, authoritarianism is soooo hot!
But you can't have the Metropolitan Museum of Art--back off my Georgia O'Keeffe, kid. :tongue:

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No way, I have sent way too many pictures of my dick to people.
On the real, I have nude pictures around as well.
What I do in my personal life is none of their business unless it directly affects my ability to serve. If I was not elected due to titty pics, they're loss. :cool:

The drug money buys the local law enforcement supervision. I live on the I-10 corridor. We are the big pipeline for drugs.

I do not want to be constantly under the microscope, and every hiccup make the news. No, I would not run for national office. I do not believe you can fix this nation until the people as a whole growup and become responsible. I am afraid that it is now too late.
Would not a majority of citizens taking part in the administration of government be growing up and being responsible?

JP0724

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I would love to run for office and have been asked by many people to run for city council, but I am not sure that a gay republican can get elected to office, especially after all of the pics I have floating around the internet. I have skeletons in my closet, but if that were not a factor, then I would definitely find it to be a privilege to serve my community and to work to restore pride into my town. I believe that I could have a very positive effect on my town. It's a great dream, but I am too afraid of the press.